C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 - generator to alternator conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:32 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default C1 - generator to alternator conversion

As some of you know I'm installing a new wiring harness (Lectric Limited from Vettegal) in my 1960. Presently my Vette has an alternator and had a Bubba wiring harness...

How do I wire up an alternator to the stock C1 wiring harness. I only have to wiring the dash and one head light and then I 'll be doing the alternator....

I'm thinking I can attach the red wire that goes to the generator's voltage regulator to the alternator. I'm using a stock GM alternator that has a plastic connector with a red & white wire.

TIA

Ken
Old 07-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Ken,

Do you know if this alternator required an external regulator, or was it a later 10SI version that had the internal regulator? Did you have a regulator that was "hooked" up before?

A picture of the alternator would help (especially of the connection terminals).

Plasticman
Old 07-13-2007, 02:18 AM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this what your connection looks like. I have an internal regulater.. no more external. Real simple. I also had a custom wiring harness made up fior an intrernally regulated alternator, as well as HEI ign (though I have an MSD set-up now) and the elec cooling fan.

Here is a good link to the wiring schematics for this type of alt.

I would highly suggest you buy a color coded wiring schematic They cost about $20 or so. A guy on the forum sells them, or check E Bay

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/tecref14.html

Here is the site of the guys that made my harness.

http://www.wiringharness.com/

Old 07-13-2007, 09:45 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Yep...that's mine... a white plastic connector with two wires (1 red and 1 white) plugs into the alternator and there is another red wire from the plastic connector onto a stud on the alternator...

Yes the regulator is in the alt....

Last edited by kenmo; 07-13-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

#1 can connect to the ignition side of your ballast resistor, and #2 connects to the battery, the big post on the starter solenoid would work the best, as you want the alt to sense battery voltage as close as possible.

Forgot: if you have electronic ignition, you MAY have to put a diode in the line #1 wire. You will know if you have to do this if your car won't shut off, and you have to unplug the connector from the Alt to turn the car off. Can't remember which way the diode goes, though.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 07-13-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Ken,

You have an E-mail (regarding the alternator wiring).

Plasticman
Old 07-13-2007, 05:32 PM
drivette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brackets?

I don't know if you need help with the mounting brackets or not, but I used ones for a '63 vette. The wiring was simple on mine ( 1 wire alternator ), I just hooked up the red wire that went to the regulator, to the alternator

Get notified of new replies

To C1 - generator to alternator conversion

Quick Reply: C1 - generator to alternator conversion