C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What brand of car lifts do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 PM
99mallett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Got my Propark 7 this summer from Greg Smith Sales. I live about 75 miles from their store in Indianapolis. Delivered, installed and Indiana sales tax was about $2100 total. Couldn't be happier .

Old 11-24-2007, 05:14 PM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Superlift SR-7H in red. The SR-7H is the one made with USA steel and built in the States. Got it for myself for Christmas last year and used it a lot this season. To date - no complaints or problems. Here are a couple of pics.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1BAD-LS1 What is the measurement that you are left with to the post after your C5 is rolled in? This is the lift that I am curious about, my C5 is much wider than stock. Thanks...... Sixty4.

Heres my problem (well sort of).

Last edited by Comp Cam 1; 11-24-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:00 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I have a Kwik Lift for two specific reasons.
One, it was DIRT cheap (not free, but toooooooooo cheap to turn down).
Next, I don't have the ceiling height to install a regular lift.
The Kwik Lift is not ideal, but it sure as heck is a lot better than a floor jack and stands. Plus, I added the casters on each corner and I can roll it around anywhere as needed.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter1951
I've never been to China or had dealings with their steel manufacturing process 1st hand. With their state of the art plants is the steel the same grade as that made here in the states? What goes into the finished product?
I run a welding and fabrication shop in the aerospace business. We've bought, tested and used steels from Sweden, Switzerland, China, the US, and Germany. Any steel, regardless of where it's made, conforms to the specifications and standards that you buy it to: If you buy ASTM A36 or A500, it meets the specifications of that grade whether it's from China or the US. The Chinese provide chemical and physical mill test reports with their stuff, just as all other manufacturers do. We've tested it, and it meets spec. The strength of the structure is not a function of where the steel was made - rather, it's a function of the type and grade of steel specified by the lift manufacturer for their design.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 PM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sixty4 -

You should make it - no problem. From the passenger side quarter panel I have about 18" on the passenger side. On the drivers side quarter panel, I have about 12" of clearance (Looks like I did not park the C5 smack-dab in the middle). The overall width of the lift is about 98 inches from post to post. Hope this helps
Old 11-24-2007, 07:16 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

I have an AutoLifter 9000# Clear Floor, Asymetric truck lift. They even narrowed it 1' for me no charge.

Clear Floor is the only way to go if you have the headroom.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

If you have a low ceiling height, does the 2 post asymetric give you any advantages over the 4 post? What I'm getting at is since the 2 post lifts on the frame rather than the wheels, you would seem to gain a few inches of space before you run into the ceiling.

Any comments?

Ralph.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:24 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rponfick
If you have a low ceiling height, does the 2 post asymetric give you any advantages over the 4 post? What I'm getting at is since the 2 post lifts on the frame rather than the wheels, you would seem to gain a few inches of space before you run into the ceiling.

Any comments?

Ralph.
The top of the car is what would hit, so what does it matter if you lift the car from the floor or 6" off of the floor?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Brad Davies
Cruising

Default Four post parking lifts

I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. My name is Brad Davies, owner and operator of American Custom Lifts. One of the posted messages mentioned some manufacturers are claiming their lifts are American made when in fact they're only assembled in the U.S. This is a true statement, and Bendpak is one of these companies. The majority of their products are imported.

American Custom Lifts is not a manufacturer. However, we do design many of our own lifts such as the ACP-7 ParkKing and the ACS7-Stacker(which are both four post design service / storage lifts), the M1-4.5 and 6.5 Single Post Parking Lift and the PhantomPark subterranean parking lift; the only American made scissors style subterranean parking lift that meets OSHA requirements in every U.S. city.

I've been to China and I visited several of their manufacturing facilities. There is a difference in the quality of the steel and the quality of lifts, but this can be true anywhere. But most U.S. steel is of higher grade.

Direct Lift, Greg Smith Equipment, Eagle, AmericanPride, Complete Hydraulics and 95% of the other companies you find on the Internet when searching for "parking lifts" or "car lifts" are importing their lifts from China. Even Rotary manufactures many of their lifts outside of the United States now. However, they're built to their good standards.

All of American Custom Lifts designs are manufactured in the U.S. and built in the United States. We offer both styles of four post lifts, one where the carriage rides on the outside of the column like the Backyard Buddy Style, and one where the carriage rides on the inside of the column like the Rotary Revolution. They're both great designs, very safe and virtually maintenance free. And this is true with almost every company’s lifts. If they were so unsafe as Backyard Buddy claims, then most of these companies would already be out of business due to lawsuits. All the lifts found on the Internet are designed to meet or exceed ANSI standards; but as one fellow mentioned within one of the posted messages, it is the fabricator or welder who can make a bad and unsafe lift. This is the problem often found within the workmanship of the Chinese Lifts, such as poor welds.

American Custom Lifts, Mohawk, Superior, Lewistown MFG, Autoquip, Inc and Backyard Buddy are the few lift companies left offering all American made products. Backyard Buddy offers only the one style, so this may be the reason why they'll criticize all the other designs. Their design is a knockoff from AutoLifters, who is no longer in business unfortunately. They made a good lift, and they were a good group of guys.

We've been in business over 10 years and we have literally sold thousands of lifts without any client having an accident. I would like to ask that you visit our website at aclifts.com and click on the parking lift page. You'll find a lot of good information about our lifts. The M1 single post and the ParkKing are our most popular models. The M1 is the safest, strongest and heaviest single post lift on the market today and is all American made.

The ACP-7 ParkKing offers the rounded columns which were designed for additional stability and aesthetics. It's a great looking lift, and there isn't another design like it. All of our parking lifts are also powder-coated. Choices of colors are black, blue, red and white. Custom colors are also available.

Other than safety and quality, customer service is another factor to investigate when purchasing a lift. Talk to their customers and see what they might have to say about their product and customer support. We've had our share of complaints, delays in freight, missing parts, etc, but we don't have any unhappy customers that I'm aware of. Customer service is our priority and we strive to provide excellent customer service in every phase of your lift purchase from research to installation, our goal is to make happy.

If any one has any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly using our toll free number 888.711.5438. I'm at extension 300, and I'd be happy to talk to you.

I wish all of you and your families a blessed Holiday Season and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Sincerely,

Brad Davies
Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 AM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Brad, Mike here. What chah doin on a CORVETTE forum?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:46 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Toddalin; I would think if you are lifting from the floor or 6" off the floor, the top of the car would be 6" closer to the ceiling or 6" farther from the ceiling.

But, I could be wrong.

Ralph.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:14 AM
sodfather
Intermediate

I bought my" R-top lift " 7 years ago , at the Portland roadster show . I am still very happy with it . I haven't seen any other coments about Top lift , wonder if the're still in business ?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Fine5T9
Cruising

I have a Gemini Garage Master GM7000. Check out their website. If you have a really tall garage you can get a triple stacker. My lift has red posts with black ramps which are easy to keep clean.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

If you have a "Short Garage" then KwikLift might be a solution. Much easier/safer then jack-stands.

Underneath is at about 21-22 inches --- Great height

Can let down for everyday parking

Old 11-25-2007, 10:42 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

George,
I have the Kwik Lift like yours.
With the addition of the casters at all 4 corners, it makes the lift/car completely mobile (I've even rolled mine outside on the drive with a car on it) and also adds about 1-2 more inches of height. Also, I used piano hinge to attach the ramps to the ends of the lift which keeps them in place and out of the way from the floor when lifted.

I also made some wood blocks to go between the legs at the end, which is raised with a jack, and the casters to gain about 5 more inches of height when desired.

When we built the house a few years ago with the 6car garage, my brain must have been in park, because I didn't even think about having the ceiling of the rear portion raised enough to allow for a full lift!

Last edited by DZAUTO; 11-25-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:05 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rponfick
Toddalin; I would think if you are lifting from the floor or 6" off the floor, the top of the car would be 6" closer to the ceiling or 6" farther from the ceiling.

But, I could be wrong.

Ralph.
If you are standing in a room with 8' of headroom, and you lift up a guy who is 6' tall, you can lift him 2' until his head hits.

It doesn't make any difference whether you lift him by his ankles, his waist, or his neck..., when you lift more than 2' his head hits the ceiling.

Get notified of new replies

To What brand of car lifts do you guys use?

Old 11-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

FWIW, I have a Superior Lift. It's a 4 poster.

Bought it at Bloomington about 6-7 years ago. Has performed flawlessly for years.

Cost then was approx. $3,000.00 delivered to my local freight terminal.

That included aluminum ramps, 3 drip trays, and a jack bridge.

I picked it up with my car trailer and brought it home.

Chuck
Old 11-25-2007, 02:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Davies
I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. My name is Brad Davies, owner and operator of American Custom Lifts. One of the posted messages mentioned some manufacturers are claiming their lifts are American made when in fact they're only assembled in the U.S. This is a true statement, and Bendpak is one of these companies. The majority of their products are imported.

American Custom Lifts is not a manufacturer. However, we do design many of our own lifts such as the ACP-7 ParkKing and the ACS7-Stacker(which are both four post design service / storage lifts), the M1-4.5 and 6.5 Single Post Parking Lift and the PhantomPark subterranean parking lift; the only American made scissors style subterranean parking lift that meets OSHA requirements in every U.S. city.

I've been to China and I visited several of their manufacturing facilities. There is a difference in the quality of the steel and the quality of lifts, but this can be true anywhere. But most U.S. steel is of higher grade.

Direct Lift, Greg Smith Equipment, Eagle, AmericanPride, Complete Hydraulics and 95% of the other companies you find on the Internet when searching for "parking lifts" or "car lifts" are importing their lifts from China. Even Rotary manufactures many of their lifts outside of the United States now. However, they're built to their good standards.

All of American Custom Lifts designs are manufactured in the U.S. and built in the United States. We offer both styles of four post lifts, one where the carriage rides on the outside of the column like the Backyard Buddy Style, and one where the carriage rides on the inside of the column like the Rotary Revolution. They're both great designs, very safe and virtually maintenance free. And this is true with almost every company’s lifts. If they were so unsafe as Backyard Buddy claims, then most of these companies would already be out of business due to lawsuits. All the lifts found on the Internet are designed to meet or exceed ANSI standards; but as one fellow mentioned within one of the posted messages, it is the fabricator or welder who can make a bad and unsafe lift. This is the problem often found within the workmanship of the Chinese Lifts, such as poor welds.

American Custom Lifts, Mohawk, Superior, Lewistown MFG, Autoquip, Inc and Backyard Buddy are the few lift companies left offering all American made products. Backyard Buddy offers only the one style, so this may be the reason why they'll criticize all the other designs. Their design is a knockoff from AutoLifters, who is no longer in business unfortunately. They made a good lift, and they were a good group of guys.

We've been in business over 10 years and we have literally sold thousands of lifts without any client having an accident. I would like to ask that you visit our website at aclifts.com and click on the parking lift page. You'll find a lot of good information about our lifts. The M1 single post and the ParkKing are our most popular models. The M1 is the safest, strongest and heaviest single post lift on the market today and is all American made.

The ACP-7 ParkKing offers the rounded columns which were designed for additional stability and aesthetics. It's a great looking lift, and there isn't another design like it. All of our parking lifts are also powder-coated. Choices of colors are black, blue, red and white. Custom colors are also available.

Other than safety and quality, customer service is another factor to investigate when purchasing a lift. Talk to their customers and see what they might have to say about their product and customer support. We've had our share of complaints, delays in freight, missing parts, etc, but we don't have any unhappy customers that I'm aware of. Customer service is our priority and we strive to provide excellent customer service in every phase of your lift purchase from research to installation, our goal is to make happy.

If any one has any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly using our toll free number 888.711.5438. I'm at extension 300, and I'd be happy to talk to you.

I wish all of you and your families a blessed Holiday Season and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Sincerely,

Brad Davies
True that Autolifters is out of business, but it was purchased by it's employees and now operates under the name All American Lifts. Still American made of American mat'l's.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:26 PM
shooter1951
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1562897187]True that Autolifters is out of business, but it was purchased by it's employees and now operates under the name All American Lifts. Still American made of American mat'l's.[/QUOTE

Joe, You're 100% right!!

Shooter

Sincerely,

Brad Davies

Brad,
Earl and his co-owners(former Auto Lifter employees) carried that over with them to All American Lifts. Great group!! When I was checking for a lift for some reason I didn't look into yours. I came across a guy that had an All American Lift and he was very happy so after checking them out I went with them. Yours sounds very comparable and if something happened and I'm in the market again I'd definitely check yours out. Good Luck.

Shooter

Quick Reply: What brand of car lifts do you guys use?