C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 Seat Track Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:23 AM
Beachman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 Seat Track Removal

Hello All. Just bought a 65 vert a couple of months back. Was looking for a Camaro when I stumbled across a big-block '65 convertible. The choice was clear.

I am in process of restoring the seats and need to replace one of the seat tracks. My question is how to properly remove the seat track. It would seem (on my seats at least) that the latch that locks the track to the frame will not rotate far enough out of the way to allow the track to slide out back of the seat frame. It hits the track and can't rotate any further. Does the rivet that the latch rotates around need to be removed so the latch can be moved out of the way?
Removing the rivet is not a problem for me. I am just wondering if this is the correct procedure or am I missing something. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Doug
Old 02-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Frapps
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug,

Somewhere along the seat track you can "Dremmel" away some material from the seat frame and create a small slot for the latch to slip through. This is how I did it on my 64. I placed the slot in the forward part of the track. In other words during a normal operation the seats would have to be all the way forward before the latch could "accidentally" slip out.

Hope that helps.

Frapps
Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Maybe this will help. Read through JProp's post here:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1880931&highli
ght=seat+track+problem
Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

Removing the rivet would be the ideal way to do it. I could not find an easy way to raise the latch high enough. I ended using a pry bar and very carefully applied pressure to separate the two track pieces while rotating the latch lever as much as I could. It eventually popped free. It went together the same way. It all worked out fine but if I had to do it again I think I would remove and replace the rivet.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 Seat Track Removal

Quick Reply: 65 Seat Track Removal