C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette Central at Carlisle

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Corvette Central at Carlisle

Just had a call from Corvette Central and they won't be attending Corvette@Carlisle next week due to a sales tax issue with the state of Pennsylvania. They were to deliver some parts for me at the show but I had them to ship the parts at my hotel instead.
Anybody that had parts to be delivered to them from Corvette Central next week will have to make alternate arrangements.

Pierre
Old 08-13-2008, 05:12 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

That is a shame since they had reserved a large area.

Was hoping to see and maybe hear the reproduction N11 exhaust

Will be scratching that off the list of purchases along with other stuff.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Swap Meets are under attack.

They don't call it Taxylvania for nothing, but all the places are starting to look under every rock and vendor's table for those nickles and dimes.

The vendors are having to compete against EBay, etc, they're faced with escalating costs in order to attend these shows and, at least at the Carlisle/Hershey-type events they're stalked by the Sales Tax Police and the Trademark Police.

At Spring Daytona a few months back I was getting some parts from one of the larger Rod Shops and asked about any "show discounts" (which used to be automatic), and in all seriousness the guy told me it was all they could do not to impose a "show surcharge", which of course would be the end of it all. He could offer free shipping, but that was it.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7vettes
They don't call it Taxylvania for nothing, but all the places are starting to look under every rock and vendor's table for those nickles and dimes.

The vendors are having to compete against EBay, etc, they're faced with escalating costs in order to attend these shows and, at least at the Carlisle/Hershey-type events they're stalked by the Sales Tax Police and the Trademark Police.

At Spring Daytona a few months back I was getting some parts from one of the larger Rod Shops and asked about any "show discounts" (which used to be automatic), and in all seriousness the guy told me it was all they could do not to impose a "show surcharge", which of course would be the end of it all. He could offer free shipping, but that was it.
I used to vend at Englishtown, NJ and the tax police were the first ones to meet me when I showed up to sell parts. I don't miss it.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:23 AM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gonefishn
That is a shame since they had reserved a large area.

Was hoping to see and maybe hear the reproduction N11 exhaust

Will be scratching that off the list of purchases along with other stuff.
Bummer for sure!!!! Damn, I wanted a report on how they sounded.. I guess I'll have to buy them without actually hearing them.. If they're no good I'll just send them back then... I understand why tho...
Old 08-14-2008, 09:36 AM
ToolMaker427
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's time for everyone to come to N.H.!!

No sales tax.

Michael.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 PM
CorvetteCentral.com
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by joec
Bummer for sure!!!! Damn, I wanted a report on how they sounded.. I guess I'll have to buy them without actually hearing them.. If they're no good I'll just send them back then... I understand why tho...
Hello, thank you all for your understanding in this matter. It is greatly appreciated.
Check out this link to our exhaust site where you can listen to sound clips of the off road/N11 systems!
http://www.corvettecentralexhaust.co...k_off_road.php

Thank you!
Corvette Central
Old 08-14-2008, 02:25 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

We were vendors at Bloomington for 12 or so years. The tax guys showed up for their cut for a couple of years so we just stopped bringing parts. Why should the government get anything from a few guys cleaning out the garage? They should have been happy that we spent time and money in their state. None of us attend the Bloomington show any longer.

Last edited by LSUvetteguy; 08-14-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM
0Virginia Vettes
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSUvetteguy
We were vendors at Bloomington for 12 or so years. The tax guys showed up for their cut for a couple of years so we just stopped bringing parts. Why should the government get anything from a few guys cleaning out the garage? They should have been happy that we spent time and money in their state. None of us attend the Bloomington show any longer.
I understand Ecklers has pull out also.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default sales tax

Could move the swap to Delaware, no sales tax, close to Carlisle, business friendly and plenty of places to hold it.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

According to this notice on CC's web site, if they attend too many shows in Pennsy they'd have to charge sales tax on every order shipped to customers in that state all year long......

http://www.corvettecentral.com/

Maybe this explains why certain other big-name Corvette vendors don't attend Spring and/or Fall Carlisle. I went to Spring a couple of years ago with a long list of stuff to get from Doc Rebuild but found a Mustang "Eleanor" clone in his designated spot. The guy would hand out Doc's catalog if you asked about them, but said Doc didn't attend the show any longer. I just figured it was too expensive for the amount of business he'd generate, but maybe it was the tax issue.

At Hershey, Keens and a couple of the lesser known vendors were about the only Vette outfits normally there, even though it is one of the largest shows in the Universe.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Central at Carlisle

Quick Reply: Corvette Central at Carlisle