C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Crossover Pipe Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Default Crossover Pipe Installed

Finally got around to getting removable crossover pipe installed today

1st impression is "I LIKE IT" got rid of the (gurgling, sputter, rattling, motorboat, ????} sound and made the exhaust a deeper tone. Seemed a little quieter but could be just the deeper tone, still got the sidepipe loudness though

Just SOTP feeling but I think I have better throttle response then before.

Was able to fit just at the front of the oil pan and still clear the power steering.

For the record: ZZ4 with Dual Quads, 2 1/2 " Ram Horn, OEM side exhaust. New X-over pipe is 2 1/4", took about 1 hour and cost $150.

Also used Thermo-Tec Heat Shield to wrap X-over pipe to keep heat away from pan and steering.

Here's a couple of Sound Clips (.mp3 files) of before and after the install. Not the best of quality but can't go back and get the before but I think you can hear to BEFORE annoying sound and hear how it's gone in the AFTER.

Last edited by Black_Magic; 09-07-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Smaller audio files
Old 08-20-2008, 05:21 PM
C2Driver
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

George, the 'before' sound was interesting when you let off the gas. Kind of a ragged edge to it. I didn't mind it though and it was unique. Having said that, I definitely prefer the 'after' sound. More throaty and powerful sound.

Good choice!

- Pat
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

George: sounds great! I had the same results when I added a crossover pipe to my Big Block. The Sweet Thunder pipes are still plenty loud at WOT.
Roy
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
SwThunderBefore.wmv (1.04 MB, 103 views)
File Type: wmv
SwThunderAfter.wmv (1.19 MB, 97 views)
Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
George: sounds great! I had the same results when I added a crossover pipe to my Big Block. The Sweet Thunder pipes are still plenty loud at WOT.
Roy

Black Magic , Very nice work , start selling a " Black Magic crossover kit " make it easy for me to do same thing ..............nice, nice..................

Much more mellow & :Sweeeeeeeeeeet deeper & now another project on my list

Last edited by StrayDog; 09-07-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,467 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Black Magic....very professional work, looks like it came from the factory, and the sound is just right for my ears.
Roy....yours sounds just right.
Now, all I need to do is make up my mind to replace my Hedman headers with the same or go back to the rams horns. I have zero issues with the headers, but to fit in a crossover might be extremely difficult or nearly impossible. Dennis
Old 09-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

George,

Sounds great! I did the crossover last year and it takes that raspy truck like sound away and gives it a much deeper tone. I have the Allen's 2 1/2". Nice job
Old 09-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What else do crossover pipes do besides refine the sound? And why use removable? I'm still learning things and since I need to replace my Hooker headers eventually due to rust, I'd like to know about this "mod". The sound is better in the second .wav, yet that end gurgle in the first .wav was kind of cool...pretty much what mine sounds like presently. Do most C2s have crossovers?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
What else do crossover pipes do besides refine the sound? And why use removable? I'm still learning things and since I need to replace my Hooker headers eventually due to rust, I'd like to know about this "mod". The sound is better in the second .wav, yet that end gurgle in the first .wav was kind of cool...pretty much what mine sounds like presently. Do most C2s have crossovers?
If your intake manifold has a heat cross over passage, you may not notice much difference.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:00 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
If I remember right Carlos,you have a aftermarket intake manifold,which means there is probably no exhaust crossover on your manifold,which also means that exhaust wise,your actually running two 4 cylinder engine's. Hence the loud popping and rattling sounds out of your exhaust. The same thing applies to under the car exhaust,but you don't here it so much because of the mufflers. The advantage to a removable crossover, besides the sound, are a little more low end torque,much less heat under your carb which helps in percolation problems,and also helps a little in performance,and if you need to remove one exhaust pipe,all you need to do is remove 3 bolts on the flange of balance pipe,and you now have 2 separate exhaust pipes again. Beats a hacksaw.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 AM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

65 vette dude,
Thanks for that explanation. I didn't know that intake manifolds even have crossover systems in them! And, of course, now it makes sense that a removable crossover pipe would allow each side to be worked on without having to cut it apart! Good idea. Well, that install sure looks like a job well done.

Get notified of new replies

To Crossover Pipe Installed

Quick Reply: Crossover Pipe Installed