C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Grab bar install

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:47 AM
chlout
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grab bar install

I have read the thread on dash pad installation and have my new pad basically installed (on a '61). The problem is getting the grab bar and insert installed. I have not been able to find any description that specifically addresses how to do this. I have tried several approches and have come to the conclusion that there is no way! Anybody have the method?

Rick
Old 09-06-2008, 09:10 AM
wib1961
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

You have come to the part in the dash pad install that requires patience and perserverence.I'm not sure there is a "exact sience"of installing the insert and grab bar, but here is what I did. First ,I had left the left side bracket, that the grab bar screws to, in place. If you did not , reinstall the left or, inboard , bracket. Next , I recommend using a vinyl tape on the right side of the insert area to protect the pad from being cut as you install the insert. Then start the insert from the left and put the "U" at the end of the insert up against the bracket and , with love and determination,press the insert into the recess area that it is supposed to be in. BE CAREFUL! Do not bend the insert as it is somewhat fragile. It does ,however, take pressure and patience. I might add at this point that I hope you removed most of the foam from the back of the pad in the area where the insert goes, as this is an important part of the pad install to make it easier to put the insert back in place.Next you must install the right side bracket. If the pad has not been cut enough to install the bracket ,VERY CAREFULLY cut the pad to allow you to install the bracket. Remember that too large a hole cut here will not be covered by the chrome piece that slides over on each end of the grab bar.Next , with the 2 chrome end pieces slid inward on the grab bar enough to clear the brackets, set the grab bar on the brackets and screw the bar to the bracket.These are "cluth head " screws so I assume you have the proper screw driver.Finally, slide the 2 chrome end pieces out to the end of the bar and screw them in place. This too can be a bitch to do and someone recommended that you put only one of the cluth head screws back in to hold the bar on each side, then slide the brackets over and secure them and then put the other 2 clutch head screws up into the bottom of the bar.Now , see how easy that was? You can now go kick the cat and have a beer. Hope this helps. Others will chime in with other recommendations and I would get all the advice to see what works for you. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:43 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

That's how I've done mine:
1) With 1 of the grab bar brackets removed, install the dash insert as described

2) Install the other grab bar bracket

3) Install grab bar.

The only thing I would add, is that for step 3, sliding the chrome grab bar trim pieces inboard on the new bar, may mar the surface of the new grab bar cover. So I like to wrap a thin layer of tape around the bar cover to protect it, before sliding the chrome trim pieces inboard.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Yes - leaving the inboard grab bar bracket clutch head screws OUT until everything else is completed seems to help...also liberal use of silicone spray when sliding the chrome end pieces around reduces the frustration level. Do NOT, crank down too hard on the chrome end piece screws or you'll crinkle up the insert around the brackets !

Also, some claim the insert holds the pad in but the lower pad 'lip' under the insert seemed awful loose to me so I did use some contact adhesive there just to make sure..

Let us know how your dash pad end caps come out...seems that is a big trouble spot...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-06-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:50 PM
chlout
Intermediate

Maybe I am missing something here. The grab bar sits on top of the brackets? I assumed the brackets slid into the ends of the bar. Nothing is threaded, how are the brackets affixed to the bar? When I got the car most of the interior was already apart so I didnt get to take it apart. I had read somewhere that there were supposed to be clutch head screws holding the brackets in. These were not what came on the car so I used some allen headed screws. I had already figured out there was not enough room for a socket to get in there.

Sincerely,

Thick Headed
Old 09-06-2008, 04:41 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chlout
Maybe I am missing something here. The grab bar sits on top of the brackets?
Yep.

How are the brackets affixed to the bar?
On my car, the grab bar has pieces of metal inside the ends that serves as the "nut" for the clutch-head mounting screws. Corvette Central's web site shows part number 251270 for these pieces of metal ($19.95 including mounting screws)

Set the bar on top of the brackets.
Install mounting screws through the bracket, and then thread them into the pieces that should be inside of the bar.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

You really need to get an assembly manual (AIM) - Willcox Corvettes now sells them on CD; this document will save you from a LOT of screw-ups...
Old 09-06-2008, 07:44 PM
chlout
Intermediate

Now it makes some sense. I am embarassed to say I do have the manual and didnt think to consult it. I should be able to get in mounted now, after getting the nut plates.

Thank you for the help everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Grab bar install

Quick Reply: Grab bar install