C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vent window seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:03 AM
vic z
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vent window seal replacement

Need to change out both vent window seals.Reading some old threads and they were talking about taking out the rivets to remove the window.I took part of the channel off and noticed clips instead of rivets.
Can I presume that I straighten out the sharp clips and the vent window comes out to replace the seal ? Your expertise is always appreciated.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:16 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,309 Posts

The rigid channel on your vent assembly with the felt lining, that the door glass rides in, is riveted in. The verticle weatherstrip that seals the back edge of your vent glass to the post with the glass channel, is held in by the tabs molded into the weatherstrip.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The rivet is that rivet that the vent window swivels on. It must be drilled out. I would consider sending it out for repair.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
The rivet is that rivet that the vent window swivels on. It must be drilled out. I would consider sending it out for repair.
It depends . . . on a coupe, the upper vent window pivot is held in place with a rivet that has to be drilled out and replaced in order to remove the vent window. On the convertible, the vent window comes out by unbolting the lower portion, dropping the window down enough to disengage the upper pivot, and then removing the window. No drilling required.

Some folks have replace the vent window rubber by cutting through one side of the lower portion that the vent window pivot passes through, and then re-gluing with superglue or something similar. They've had varying results, I'm told with this procedure. For me, I'd rather remove the vent window on either coupe or convertible and do it as the General did, just personal preference!!

Removing and replacing the rivet on a coupe isn't that big of a deal, really. Lots of past threads on doing this procedure.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:37 PM
ratpack1968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
On the convertible, the vent window comes out by unbolting the lower portion, dropping the window down enough to disengage the upper pivot, and then removing the window. No drilling required.
From your avatar it looks like you have a 'vert so good advice above. The glass is very easily removed. However, the rubber and the clips are very tight and difficult to seat properly into the frame while on the car so it may be advisable to pull the entire vent window assembly and do it on the bench. I recently tackled this job as well as replacing the channels (which do have rivets) and found a lot of info in the archives. Not particularly easy, but definitely a DIY job.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ratpack1968
From your avatar it looks like you have a 'vert so good advice above. The glass is very easily removed. However, the rubber and the clips are very tight and difficult to seat properly into the frame while on the car so it may be advisable to pull the entire vent window assembly and do it on the bench. I recently tackled this job as well as replacing the channels (which do have rivets) and found a lot of info in the archives. Not particularly easy, but definitely a DIY job.
My convertible is in the avatar, my coupe is in the garage.

Actually, I have both a coupe and convertible and I've done the vent window sealing rubber on both cars. The coupe is a little more difficult because of the rivet, but neither is a really big job. Of course, the second one is always easier and quicker than the first.

And you're right, probably the best coarse of action on the convertible is to remove the entire assembly and do the window channels at the same time. If the vent window seals are shot, chances are that the main window channels, front and rear are also ready for replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To Vent window seal replacement

Quick Reply: Vent window seal replacement