C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to remove exterior windshield trim on a '66

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:03 PM
brookiez28
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Default How to remove exterior windshield trim on a '66

I'd like to have my trim restored on my '66. Anyone have any tips on how to remove the exterior trim and in what sequence? Also, MUST the rubber seal beneath the trim be replaced if the trim is removed or does it just stay in place? The trim almost looks like it pressed into the rubber seal. Any tips on how to remove w/out damaging the seal would be appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
1960 (12-30-2022)
Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The windshield trim on your car is flash chromed from the factory but you can remove the trim and buff the chrome to a real nice finish. Most people don’t realize the trim was flash chromed and will buff it out to a chrome like luster. It is real hard to tell either way.

You can remove the chrome from the outside of the windshield with a molding clip removal tool; there really is no set method for start to finish.

I will tell you that many windshield trim moldings are dented by removing them with this tool and they can be very cantankerous to remove. On cars that we are doing a restoration on, we usually cut the windshield weatherstrip and then remove the moldings.

The weatherstrip is an H design and you can cut the outer edge of the weatherstrip with a box cutter and once you remove the upper part of the H you can access the clips real easy. You have to cut the part you see by cutting downward toward the bottom of the car. Once you have it cut real good pull out what ever you can by hand. Installing a new windshield weatherstrip may seem like the long way to do this but you will be able to remove the moldings without worrying about damaging them.

Installing a new windshield weatherstrip is not that hard either. To do this you need to put the weatherstrip on the glass and sit it on the lower lip of the windshield frame. Once you have this in position you roll in the windshield with your fingers. I know some people will say to rope this windshield in, but rope will not pass over the upper corners without coming out. Rolling this weatherstrip in place with your fingers will get you to the corners pretty quick so it’s really a duck shot from there. On the corners you may need to apply some grease to make the turn and you may need the assistance of a good pair of pliers to pull the rubber in. Once you make the corners you have it by the rear!

It used to take me about 45 minutes to do the installation and most of this time is spent on the interior trim and not the setting the windshield.

IMHO,

Willcox
The following users liked this post:
1960 (12-30-2022)
Old 01-17-2009, 11:47 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by brookiez28
I'd like to have my trim restored on my '66. Anyone have any tips on how to remove the exterior trim and in what sequence? Also, MUST the rubber seal beneath the trim be replaced if the trim is removed or does it just stay in place? The trim almost looks like it pressed into the rubber seal. Any tips on how to remove w/out damaging the seal would be appreciated!

Coupe or Roadster????
Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Sam Kalmuk
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

How different is the Windshield Seal, between a Coupe or Roadster??
Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 PM
brookiez28
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Roadster...
Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Can't help you there. I know how the coupe trim comes off but have not had any dealings with the roadster.

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove exterior windshield trim on a '66

Quick Reply: How to remove exterior windshield trim on a '66