C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

would you run without vacuum advance on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Hank
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default would you run without vacuum advance on the street?

A friend is putting a barn find hot rod 69 vette big block back together and he inherited a 70's looking mallory distributor without vacuum advance. The mallory distributor cap has the wires attached semi-permanently, it does look kind of cool in an old school racing way.

He has had the engine rebuilt (and trans, and recored radiator, etc. etc.) and is trying to figure out what to do with the ignition. My advice was to swap out the old mallory for an MSD unit with vacuum advance. But I don't have any experience with running a non vacuum advance car on the street.

What do you guys think? are there other alternatives (like adding a vacuum can to the mallory?). I wish I had a pic to post of the thing, I might be able to swing that later on if useful.

Gerry
Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank
My advice was to swap out the old mallory for an MSD unit with vacuum advance. Gerry
Very good advice. Better gas mileage, throttle response and a cooler running motor is what he has to gain.

Jim
Old 06-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't think mating a vacuum can to a mechanical distrib is a good idea. A total swap out is probably best. Vacuum advance will give you better mileage, cooler running and basically 'comes off' when you floor it so you are pure mechanical anyway at full throttle. There is no real downside to adding it (and I did!).

DARN...Snake beat me to the punch..
Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The advice so far is good: If you've got the option of having vacuum advance connected, by all means do so.

However, not having it isn't fatal.

Many Vettes left the factory without provisions for vacuum advance and they run just fine. My FI '60 is a great example; it runs well and is pleasant to drive.

In the case of the subject car, I'd try it and see what happens. You can always find a way to install a distributor with a vacuum can if need be.

Jim
Old 06-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

Lars taught us in our "Tuning for beer" session to listen to the car, smell the car, feel the car..." it will tell you whether your setup wants it or not...
Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank
A friend is putting a barn find hot rod 69 vette big block back together
and he inherited a 70's looking mallory distributor without vacuum advance. But I don't have any
experience with running a non vacuum advance car on the street. What do you guys think? Gerry
Many years ago I drove a dual quad Mopar with dual points and no vacuum advance on the street every day
for 4 years with no problems.

That was waaay before I was converted to the church of the bow tie.

Last edited by magicv8; 06-19-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need vacuum advance for part throttle, light load conditions. Sure it will run, but conditions will be far from optimum. In many cases you could be up to 10 or 15 degrees retarded from optimum.

Advance that is fixed based on engine speed alone is for high load applications, like race cars and airplanes.

Harry
Old 06-18-2009, 11:21 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

I don't remember anyone saying that a mechanical advance only dist. wouldn't work. It's just that motors with a vacuum advance dist. run much better.

Jim
Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Besides the FI engines, the 62-63, 340-HP engines had mechanical advance duel point distributors which ran great on the street.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Besides the FI engines, the 62-63, 340-HP engines had mechanical advance duel point distributors which ran great on the street.
Yes, and my 100% original 1960 270HP 283 has the original machanical advance only dist. and it runs fine BUT it would still run better with a vacuum unit. Ask Frank. Damn this is frustrating.

Jim
Old 06-18-2009, 11:43 PM
PinkVetteLady
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't have to have vacuum advance and I ran my car like that for many years. To be honest I liked it that way with no ill problems. It wouldn't get hot in traffic, it wouldn't detonate, it wasn't any less fuel efficient. Lots of people will tell you that you have to have vac advance for the engine to be happy on the street.. Sorry but you can run it with no problems.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Yes, and my 100% original 1960 270HP 283 has the original machanical advance only dist. and it runs fine BUT it would still run better with a vacuum unit. Ask Frank. Damn this is frustrating.

Jim
calm down now jim......i dont think we want another vac vs. non thread to start.....you better go grab the shot glass and relax a bit.....
Old 06-18-2009, 11:58 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by midyearvette
calm down now jim......i dont think we want another vac vs. non thread to start.....you better go grab the shot glass and relax a bit.....
I think you're right. I guess if people really want to know the truth, they can read the many articles written by John H. and Lars regarding this subject. Maybe GM really screwed up using vacuum advance on the Z-28's and LS-6's. Can you imagine how fast they would have been without it?

JIm
Old 06-19-2009, 12:14 AM
landshark 454
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I run a couple of built big blocks with no vacuum advance. I run a tight advance curve in them and more timing from a vacuum advance would cause them to ping under light load.

Vacuum advance does nothing for heavy throttle running, and I am more interested in having the cars run strongest under full throttle. A vacuum advance that can be adjusted could possibly work, but I am not worried about light throttle operation or fuel mileage.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PinkVetteLady
You don't have to have vacuum advance and I ran my car like that for many years. To be honest I liked it that way with no ill problems. It wouldn't get hot in traffic, it wouldn't detonate, it wasn't any less fuel efficient. Lots of people will tell you that you have to have vac advance for the engine to be happy on the street.. Sorry but you can run it with no problems.
Yep...

square on all 4 corners, believe it gentlemen, ....regardless of what your told...thats the way it was. Dual points and no VC can.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Yep...

square on all 4 corners, believe it gentlemen, ....regardless of what your told...thats the way it was. Dual points and no VC can.

Are you telling me that GM and Ford and Chrysler wasted hundreds of millions of dollars putting on vacuum advance cans that served no purpose?

No better gas mileage, no better part throttle response, no better low speed drivability?

Damn, you shoulda been Grand Poobah of the automobile engineering world!

Doug
Old 06-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Are you telling me that GM and Ford and Chrysler wasted hundreds of millions of dollars putting on vacuum advance cans that served no purpose?

No better gas mileage, no better part throttle response, no better low speed drivability?

Damn, you shoulda been Grand Poobah of the automobile engineering world!

Doug
I`m not telling you anything you dont want to believe...Boots Mallory`s performance distributors were dual point distributors without a VC can. The hot tip setup before electronic ignition. GM did the same with there high performance engines, the millions were probably spent on the low performance engines. There was no overheating or bad driving manners and FI Vettes got 20+ MPG with stiff 4.11 gears. I would have expected that you were aware of this. But in your apparent excitement you missed that it was never said you couldn`t use one, merely you could effectively not use one......Maybe you should get involved with some hands on drag racing...

And I thank you for the Grand whatever thing. Many bestows but that ones a first.......

have some on me, ......I make great popcorn too

Get notified of new replies

To would you run without vacuum advance on the street?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:02 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

NO, NEVER. i will explain why tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 AM
obx2323
Pro

As you can tell this is a 50/50 split. Me, full MSD ign. with mechanical advance. Played with my curve and initial advance by seat of the pants and it's very peppy at any point of the rpm range. Runs very cool just idling too, but then again I am a long way from OEM with my 350 on all set-ups. I'm not the most gifted mechanically so I have sought advise to a few mechanics/builders and I have found each has their own preference that works and the end result is the same but getting there is different.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:47 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake

Jim
Not saying that's not what you experienced, but with the later model 340 Dist, not necessarily true due to a much better advance curve. For many years the 340 Dist was the performance distributor of choice.

Quick Reply: would you run without vacuum advance on the street?