C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

plasticon hardtop weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM
littlevette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default plasticon hardtop weatherstripping

Hi! I am a new forum member and a lady corvette owner. I have both a 54' and 61' Corvette. I have a Plasticon Hardtop for my 54' Vette. It is in good condition, but needs new weatherstripping (both rear and window). Does anyone out there in forum land know what kind of weatherstripping and where it can be purchased? I really would appreciate some help on this.
Thanks,
Carolyn
Old 07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i have never heard of a Plasticon hardtop. please post pix of it and what the weatherstripping looks like that you need to replace
Bill
Old 07-27-2009, 07:25 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
i have never heard of a Plasticon hardtop. please post pix of it and what the weatherstripping looks like that you need to replace
Bill
That's one of those the bulbous aftermarket top that came out for the early cars. Perhaps that description will sound familiar?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:27 PM
littlevette
Heel & Toe

Hi, Bill
The plasticon hardtop is a aftermarket hardtop that was made for the 53,54, 55 Corvettes. Scott also made one at the same time. There are a scarce few remaining. GM didn't make a hardtop, even though they showed the 53' Corvette with a hardtop on it at the motorama show to introduce the 53' Corvette. If you use your search engine and type in Plasticon hardtop for a corvette, you will see the pictures of the hardtop. My hardtop is in very good condition, except for the weatherstripping. I hope that someone will know what aftermarket weatherstripping will work on it.
Carolyn
Old 07-28-2009, 11:16 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Plasticon top on my 55 vett go to JC whitney ,they can help
Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 1955 copper

Plasticon top on my 55 vett go to JC whitney ,they can help
that's kinda cool looking..

Bill
Old 07-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Mailbu Beach
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Plasticon Hard top

Originally Posted by littlevette
Hi! I am a new forum member and a lady corvette owner. I have both a 54' and 61' Corvette. I have a Plasticon Hardtop for my 54' Vette. It is in good condition, but needs new weatherstripping (both rear and window). Does anyone out there in forum land know what kind of weatherstripping and where it can be purchased? I really would appreciate some help on this.
Thanks,
Carolyn

Carolyn

Try checking Hemmings Motor News hard copy from the news stand or online. I seem to remember a supplier ( Maybe Green Rubber ) or something like that ..who does all kinds of automotive weatherstripping.

When you are successful finding what you need..let me know as I too have a Plasticon hardtop that needs new eatherstripping.

Joe
Trybulec@aol.com
Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by Mailbu Beach
Carolyn

Try checking Hemmings Motor News hard copy from the news stand or online. I seem to remember a supplier ( Maybe Green Rubber ) or something like that ..who does all kinds of automotive weatherstripping.

When you are successful finding what you need..let me know as I too have a Plasticon hardtop that needs new eatherstripping.

Joe
Trybulec@aol.com

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...ahterstripping
Old 07-28-2009, 12:57 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Plasticon was probably the MOST common hardtop for 53-5 Vettes. I've heard of others, but only SEEN the Plasticon tops.

Tom Parsons
Old 07-29-2009, 05:16 PM
littlevette
Heel & Toe

Default littlevette

Hi, Corvette Guys
Thanks so much for the replys to my posting. I will start researching some of the places that have been recommended. You Guys are great! I love my Little 54' Corvette. Last year she won "Best of Class" At Hilton Head Concours d'Elegance. She still has her original California Black Plate License Tag and came with the name of "Marilyn" when I purchased her. Of course, she was named for Marilyn Monroe. She also spent over 38 years in a mans' living room in California. So, she has a special history. This year Hilton Head Concours d'Elegance is having a special Marquee titled 55 years of Corvette. There will be Corvettes on the field that display the changes in the Corvette (I think 53'-86' years. I think no cars newer than 86' (of any make) are on the judging field). Only the years showing changes in body or engine, such as 53' (no 54') 55' and so on. My 61' Corvette has been invited to the field. Any of you that will be in the area or Hilton Head or live in Hilton Head should make a attempt to attend. The date is Nov. 1st. You can go to their website at www.hhiconcours.com.
Thanks Again for your help.
Carolyn

Get notified of new replies

To plasticon hardtop weatherstripping

Quick Reply: plasticon hardtop weatherstripping