C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Rear Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Jeffrey J. Lahullier
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C2 Rear Alignment

Just totally disassemblied my 67 convertible and can see there are definitely issues with the rear alignment on my car. My question is are the alignments shops who do front end work also well versed with rear alignment on these cars? I know the rear suspenion on my car had work done recently with new trailing arms and new trailing arm shims installed. The inside of my drivers side rear tire was rubbing on the leaf spring before I disassembled the car. One day while driving my car I turned into traffic and it sounded as if someone dumped a bunch of knifes and forks in the street. When I stop to see what had happened I found four trailing shims in the roadway. I believe this is not correct but when I re-installed the shims I installed the bolt through the hole in the shims not the fork.

Any help on a shop in Northern NJ to perform this type of work would also be helpful.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

You DO NEED another alignment shop! Check your local Vette club or performance shop, but ask for specific recommendation about who works on C-2 Vettes. Dennis
Old 11-09-2010, 03:00 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

You do want to find someone who knows the Vette rear suspension. It's not super complex. But needs someone who knows the ropes. Don't pay more than $150 for a 4 wheel alignment.

There should be big long cotter pins that retain those shims.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffrey J. Lahullier
The inside of my drivers side rear tire was rubbing on the leaf spring before I disassembled the car.
This is not associated with badly done alignment, something else is wrong. Shims with forks will not work properly on your car unless you drill the frame to accept a retaining cotter pin.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Nicola
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

no reason why a good alignment shop cannot set up the rear alignment. Remember this set up went basically from 63 to 82...specs are specs. I certainly would not have one shop do the front and another do the rear...makes no sense
Old 11-09-2010, 09:16 PM
chrislyn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in North Jersey are you.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 PM
yukonranger
Advanced

The slotted shims are the wrong shims for your car. Slotted shims are for C3 cars which have holes for cotter pins that retain the shims. Get your alignment done with the slotted shims then replace them with the same thickness of shims that have two holes. (this is a major PITA). Not sure why your tires would rub on the spring unless your stub axles are totally worn out. How much play do you have in the stub axles? If you have a lot of play then fix that first as it will change the alignment.

Mike

Just totally disassemblied my 67 convertible and can see there are definitely issues with the rear alignment on my car. My question is are the alignments shops who do front end work also well versed with rear alignment on these cars? I know the rear suspenion on my car had work done recently with new trailing arms and new trailing arm shims installed. The inside of my drivers side rear tire was rubbing on the leaf spring before I disassembled the car. One day while driving my car I turned into traffic and it sounded as if someone dumped a bunch of knifes and forks in the street. When I stop to see what had happened I found four trailing shims in the roadway. I believe this is not correct but when I re-installed the shims I installed the bolt through the hole in the shims not the fork.

Any help on a shop in Northern NJ to perform this type of work would also be helpful.

Jeff
Old 11-10-2010, 12:06 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

unless you are going ncrs, type shims do not matter in my opinion, all work. make sure the shop knows not to take hammer to strut rod and hit to bend to get alignment into specs.....don't laugh, it was common practice back in the day by numerous shops including dealers
Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 AM
yukonranger
Advanced

Actually the shim type does matter unless you are going to drill the holes in the frame for the cotter pin that retains the slotted type shims. The slotted shims can and do rotate upwards and escape as the original poster found out. i'm pretty sure you can't tell by looking whether a shim is slotted or not when it is installed.

Mike

Originally Posted by LT1driver
unless you are going ncrs, type shims do not matter in my opinion, all work. make sure the shop knows not to take hammer to strut rod and hit to bend to get alignment into specs.....don't laugh, it was common practice back in the day by numerous shops including dealers
Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drilling the hole is real easy. A 3/16" "aircraft extension drill", available at virtually any good hardware or home improvement store is all you need. About $10. I just did it. If you search on posts I started recently you'll find a good pic on hole location from JohnZ.

Harry
Old 11-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Jeffrey J. Lahullier
Instructor

Originally Posted by chrislyn
Where in North Jersey are you.
East Rutherford
Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Jeffrey J. Lahullier
Instructor

Originally Posted by 66since71
Drilling the hole is real easy. A 3/16" "aircraft extension drill", available at virtually any good hardware or home improvement store is all you need. About $10. I just did it. If you search on posts I started recently you'll find a good pic on hole location from JohnZ.

Harry
Thanks for your quick response.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 PM
chrislyn
Pro

Default Wheel alignment

Jeff, give Gearheart Chevrolet RT 46 Denville NJ they have always been a Corvette friendly dealership and would be able to do a alignment on your car. Good Luck , Wes
Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Jeffrey J. Lahullier
Instructor

Originally Posted by chrislyn
Jeff, give Gearheart Chevrolet RT 46 Denville NJ they have always been a Corvette friendly dealership and would be able to do a alignment on your car. Good Luck , Wes
I will give them a call. Thank you.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Jeffrey J. Lahullier
Instructor

Originally Posted by 66since71

Harry
Harry,
I do not see the rectangular type shims (with two holes only) for sale by any of the corvette part supply companies. The type shown in the assemby manual.

Jeff
Old 11-12-2010, 04:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Harry,
I do not see the rectangular type shims (with two holes only) for sale by any of the corvette part supply companies. The type shown in the assemby manual.

Jeff
Long Island Corvette Supply has them - #51-29B.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Rear Alignment

Quick Reply: C2 Rear Alignment