C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Check this out...CObra vs Grand sport video!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:33 PM
n1kon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check this out...CObra vs Grand sport video!!

Awesome!

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6qux...eature=related

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGwb...eature=related

ENJOY!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Excellent, and well-produced; the Mongoose is essentially the current version of the D&D Grand Sport replica - I've built one, and so has Jim Lockwood; Jim still has his, and races it regularly. Couldn't tell which Cobra replica that was - there are about 30 different ones out there; I've built an E.R.A. and two Uniques. Great performance from the Mongoose, especially considering it's a closed car with air conditioning and weighs more than the Cobra replica.
Attached Images   
Old 10-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I loved it, put a BIG smile on my face. Dennis
Old 10-10-2008, 08:36 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Great performance from the Mongoose, especially considering it's a closed car with air conditioning and weighs more than the Cobra replica.
This video is all over the Cobra forums. The cobra is on street tires and has 600hp, while the mongoose has 400hp and R comp tires. It would be much better if things were more equal. Regardless, a woman that can drive like that and that accent -I'm in love

Jim
Old 10-10-2008, 08:45 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Put a smile on my face. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:57 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I've built one, and so has Jim Lockwood; Jim still has his, and races it regularly.
Excellent video!

The torch may have been passed yesterday at an all-Corvette track day at Thunderhill, John.

My son, who had only one prior track day under his belt, drove my car for five sessions.

Against an assortment of C5s and C6s, NO ONE passed him and in every session, he lapped the field.

Sticky tires and a killer engine? Neither. He redlined the engine at 5200 RPM (per my request) for reliability, and he drove on worn out bias ply tires that had 24 prior heat cycles.

Yep, today, I'm Proud Papa.

Jim
Old 10-10-2008, 09:02 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I could'nt understand a word...so i turned off the volume and just enjoyed the video..
Old 10-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Great Videos

Thanks for the links

George
Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the links to the great videos. For those who couldn't understand the narrative, the Cobra is powered by--what else--512 hp Corvette Z-06.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Nope, not for me!
First, I neither speak nor understand that schtict language.
I don't like those kind of videos where the scene is CONSTANTLY changing every split second-----------------I like to see a little length to a scene.
And last, I HATE it when video of machinery (race cars, P51 Mustangs, steam locomotives, drag boats, etc, etc, etc) is drowned out by music. You go to a race track, you don't hear that darned music---------------------why do they ALWAYS have to drown out the sounds of the machinery with music?????????????????? I'll never understand it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope, not my kind of video----------------it's crap!

Here is a brief example.
You won't hear any music ruining the sound of the machinery, plus the scene is not jumping around all over the place every split second-----------------you can hear it clearly and you can watch it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vFvr5CTkSo
Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default That Wildcat engine WAS music, to my ears!

Anyway, John Z, you said there are many Cobra replicas out there. I suppose that anything built after the factory stopped manufacture would be considered such. Recently I was invited to DenBeste Motorsports in Windsor, CA, to see his collection of Cobras and other cars. Carroll Shelby actually goes there and signs off on the engines and other particulars, if I remember it correctly. I was so awed by the cars there that I wasn't paying 100% attention. Would those still be considered relicas or genuine? I guess I forgot to ask the owner's son who gave the tour that question. What's the opinion here?

Old 10-11-2008, 02:38 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Her, the only thing I want to know more about is her!

Paul

PS. Don't tell my girlfriend about this post...
Old 10-11-2008, 06:38 AM
chevyunger
Intermediate

I like it, that You look german TV. The cobra/corvette challenge was from my favorite TV show called D-Motor.
The cobra is a german product (exept of the Z06 engine) from CN Cobra (http://www.cobra-cn.de/).
The driver, Sabine Schmitz, of the Cobra is a german racer. She is the driver of the "Ring-Taxi", where you get the passenger seat of a sportscar to test the Nürburgring-Nordschleife with race-speed. Most of the male passengers are very loud before the lap and are very quiet and white faced after the lap. Sabine knows every pebble of the racetrack and is very fast there.

Matthias

PS: here is the link for sabine http://www.sabine-schmitz-motorsport.de/

Last edited by chevyunger; 10-11-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:59 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyunger
I like it, that You look german TV. The cobra/corvette challenge was from my favorite TV show called D-Motor.
The cobra is a german product (exept of the Z06 engine) from CN Cobra (http://www.cobra-cn.de/).
The driver, Sabine Schmitz, of the Cobra is a german racer. She is the driver of the "Ring-Taxi", where you get the passenger seat of a sportscar to test the Nürburgring-Nordschleife with race-speed. Most of the male passengers are very loud before the lap and are very quiet and white faced after the lap. Sabine knows every pebble of the racetrack and is very fast there.

Matthias

PS: here is the link for sabine http://www.sabine-schmitz-motorsport.de/
Boy am I glad that this dude from Germany joined the Forum, thanks for the info and link Matthias !
Old 10-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Thanks for the info Matthias. She is quite an accomplished race driver, "The queen of the ring".
I drove it about fifteen years ago in a rented 300E five speed. Back then there were far fewer cars cars on the track, you could really have some fun. I thought I was really motoring when this seven-series full of people glides up behind me, I let him pass and figure I'll follow him around, there were at least five or six people in that car, but I still couldn't stay with him for more than a couple of corners... The original ring taxi?
Here is a cool vid I found from a few years back, shot from a 966 GT3 following her for a lap as she drives the "Ring Taxi".
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...69452162988713
I like her quote "Never enter Karussell when on the brakes! I have gone round there on the roof, I know what I'm talking about." My kind of woman!

Paul
Old 10-11-2008, 01:11 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any connection to Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen. A drag racer from the 70"s?
Old 10-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Originally Posted by w1ctc
Any connection to Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen. A drag racer from the 70"s?
Tom was the "Mongoose" because Don Prudhomme was the "Snake". Supposedly the only animal that can kill a Cobra is a mongoose. Sounds like they chose the same snake/mongoose metaphor that served McEwen/Prudhomme so well way back then.
Were the original Grand Sports ever referred to as mongooses back when?

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Check this out...CObra vs Grand sport video!!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:40 PM
n1kon
Instructor

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Nope, not for me!
First, I neither speak nor understand that schtict language.
I don't like those kind of videos where the scene is CONSTANTLY changing every split second-----------------I like to see a little length to a scene.
And last, I HATE it when video of machinery (race cars, P51 Mustangs, steam locomotives, drag boats, etc, etc, etc) is drowned out by music. You go to a race track, you don't hear that darned music---------------------why do they ALWAYS have to drown out the sounds of the machinery with music?????????????????? I'll never understand it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope, not my kind of video----------------it's crap!

Here is a brief example.
You won't hear any music ruining the sound of the machinery, plus the scene is not jumping around all over the place every split second-----------------you can hear it clearly and you can watch it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vFvr5CTkSo
Wow...you really and I mean really hated the video. I'm sad to hear it though..I thought everyone getting to see these two mixing it up on the track. You have to admit that getting to see the Grand Sport hauling a$$ is pretty cool...come on!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:07 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
Would those still be considered relicas or genuine? I guess I forgot to ask the owner's son who gave the tour that question. What's the opinion here?
If they have aluminum bodies AND CSX2xxx or CSX3xxx serial numbers, they're real; otherwise they're replicas.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:26 AM
joe58
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Were the original Grand Sports ever referred to as mongooses back when?

Paul
I don't recall mongoose as a name used for the Grand Sport.

In the 60s some called it "the lightweight" .

At $5M plus that sounds like a funny name for it today.

Quick Reply: Check this out...CObra vs Grand sport video!!