C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear suspension bushing kits.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:03 AM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear suspension bushing kits.

Those of you that have rebuilt your rear suspensions who sales the best bushing kits at the best prices? There are so many web sites to search through so I just want to save some time.

Jeff
Old 05-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Jeff are you talking about the ones for the trailing arm to frame mount or the trailing arm to spring mount?

Dave
Old 05-14-2011, 09:27 AM
63 Roadster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Energy Suspension products on several cars in the past. I usually order them from Summitracing.com. You can get them in rubber or poly.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:21 AM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
Jeff are you talking about the ones for the trailing arm to frame mount or the trailing arm to spring mount?

Dave

Everything: Trailing arms, strut rods, spring mounts, sway bar. Ive seen kits with all of the components just looking for opinions for those that have done this.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:34 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

All the rear end (front also) rebuild parts - bushings, bearings, stub axles, etc. - I got from these guys:

http://www.duntovmotors.com/

Quanta supplied the rear leaf spring liners.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff batchelor
Everything: Trailing arms, strut rods, spring mounts, sway bar. Ive seen kits with all of the components just looking for opinions for those that have done this.
For whatever it is worth to you:

Much of it will depend on what type of bushing material you plan to use ( polyurethane or rubber).

Now you have to understand that I own all of the required tools to compress and stake the trailing arm bushing ( if rubber...and the urethane ones I use also.) If you do not have the tool to stake the trailing arm bushing sleeve...or make a fixture that allows you to compress and stake the sleeve and grind it flat when completed. You will more than likely purchase a urethane design that allows you to do it yourself at home. The PROBLEM that I have found with the urethane bushings that you can do at home are that they are wider than factory when installed. And with it being wider, it causes less shims to be used for alignment of your toe-in when it is aligned. Now...this does not seem like a big deal...but it can BITE YOU in the backside. Like it has done me in the past. which is why I stopped using this manufactures urethane bushing and went to another company who's are correct.

IF your car has damaged, tweaked, dented trailing arms. Which is sometimes hard to see....but I have found that IF the inner bearing flange is NOT centered in the hole that surrounds it in the trailing arm...and it is off. Chances are there will be an issue. Not always...but chances increase. The use of this wider design urethane bushing causes less side to side movement INSIDE the pocket in the frame where the trailing arm is located. This reduction in movement can cause an issue when the car is being aligned... because the trailing arm can not be pulled to alignment spec because it is now hitting against the inside wall of your frame...and needs to go more...but can not...and this is due to the wider trailing arm bushing you installed. I know of only one company (an I may be wrong ... because once I found them...I stopped looking) that makes a trailing arm urethane bushing JUST LIKE GM's design.

"DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To Rear suspension bushing kits.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension bushing kits.