C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dye for faded carpet

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:15 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dye for faded carpet

I have a 64 coupe with a dark blue interior. The carpet is very faded, but in perfect condition. I have read threads on the spray and RIT dye, and i was thinking of going the RIT route. Any tips? anyone know of a good color match for dark blue? hoping I can get to come out nice and even. Any one with before/ after pictures? Thanks!

I was thinking the "navy blue" looked close
http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

Last edited by C6Matt; 03-31-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:27 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Dyeing a used fabric is pretty tricky. If there is any contaminants in the carpet, they will not dye correctly. You will have a patchy look to the carpet. Be cautious.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Matt
I have a 64 coupe with a dark blue interior. The carpet is very faded, but in perfect condition. I have read threads on the spray and RIT dye, and i was thinking of going the RIT route. Any tips? anyone know of a good color match for dark blue? hoping I can get to come out nice and even. Any one with before/ after pictures? Thanks!

I was thinking the "navy blue" looked close
http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide
If you went forward with the dye process, what's your plan on dying an area that large?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RestoMike
If you went forward with the dye process, what's your plan on dying an area that large?
right now my thought is from another thread, make the dye mix to directions and dab it on with a damp sponge...
Old 03-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just replace the carpet?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:59 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lou64
Why not just replace the carpet?
I was hoping to get good results with dye, it seems others have... and the carpet is perfect, just faded. I figure if the 20 bux of dye doesn't work, it was a small chance to take to save 3-500 bucks...
Old 03-31-2012, 09:30 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

right now my thought is from another thread, make the dye mix to directions and dab it on with a damp sponge...
Suggestion.....why not locate, find, purchase a large tub. Make large solution of dye. I believe the '64 used multi pieces and should be able to get these in a large tub....something you might find at a Atwoods or Tractor Supply.

Not fallin' for the old sponge trick.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:35 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Funny story. Years ago, when I was young, I had '65 GTO convert. The carpet was faded all to heck and even kinda worn in some spots. Black. A Camaro friend of mine had a suggestion. Why not paint the carpet rattle can black? So I did. Plasticote gloss. I was a bit crunchy at first but that passed. I actually remember receiving more that a few comments about how nice the carpet was in the car. Allways got a grin outta that.
Now I am looking at [U]another[U] set for my convert. My top is always down and we get blistering hot days here in the summer. 2nd set in about 8 yrs. Bright blue int and carpet. I wonder ......
Old 03-31-2012, 11:02 PM
henry63
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My 63 carpet was in good shape, just faded. I tried the navy rit dye, it was too dark. The denim blue looked alot better. I just put some on an old terry cloth rag and rubbed it in. Make sure you wear rubber gloves. Looks good but be aware that it will rub off. Don't wear white shoes! Scott
Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What about trying a can of spray vinyl dye. It's flexible, and doesn't rub off of dash pads or seats. This brand says it can be used on carpets, and they have a dark blue, although it doesn't look that dark on the sample chip....... http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/vinyldye/
Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 00fxd
Funny story. Years ago, when I was young, I had '65 GTO convert. The carpet was faded all to heck and even kinda worn in some spots. Black. A Camaro friend of mine had a suggestion. Why not paint the carpet rattle can black? So I did. Plasticote gloss. I was a bit crunchy at first but that passed. I actually remember receiving more that a few comments about how nice the carpet was in the car. Allways got a grin outta that.
Now I am looking at [U]another[U] set for my convert. My top is always down and we get blistering hot days here in the summer. 2nd set in about 8 yrs. Bright blue int and carpet. I wonder ......
All spray vinyl and carpet "dyes" are actually paint. Nothing wrong with them, and they won't fade like the carpet dye. I have done many as you describe. After it dries, as long as you rub it out to loosen the nap, it then looks and feels better than new. No one will know the difference.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:56 AM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Found this thread on the c4 forum on it..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...it-worked.html
Old 04-01-2012, 12:34 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
All spray vinyl and carpet "dyes" are actually paint. Nothing wrong with them, and they won't fade like the carpet dye. I have done many as you describe. After it dries, as long as you rub it out to loosen the nap, it then looks and feels better than new. No one will know the difference.
Did my 64 convertible with the dye three years ago and still looks new after lots of sun. Did the door bottom of the doors too. Dave
Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dkleather
Did my 64 convertible with the dye three years ago and still looks new after lots of sun. Did the door bottom of the doors too. Dave
which brand and color dye?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:19 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

which brand and color dye?
Mine was red dye for 63/64 from Long Island Corvette Section 45 Part # 50B in their catalog. They have a Dark Blue for 63/64 for $17 ....Section 45 Part #50D. The match of color on my red was very close when compared to the hidden unfaded sections. Don't know anything about the blue you need but would think it would be close as well since they distinguish between 63/64 dark blue and several other blues for the remaining years. Dave
Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dkleather
Mine was red dye for 63/64 from Long Island Corvette Section 45 Part # 50B in their catalog. They have a Dark Blue for 63/64 for $17 ....Section 45 Part #50D. The match of color on my red was very close when compared to the hidden unfaded sections. Don't know anything about the blue you need but would think it would be close as well since they distinguish between 63/64 dark blue and several other blues for the remaining years. Dave
you talked me into it.. I'm gonna pull the drivers seat and console to do my TKO swap anyway.. pull the pass seat and get to dye-ing.. .

Get notified of new replies

To Dye for faded carpet

Quick Reply: Dye for faded carpet