C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'58 Front End Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM
DEBrahms
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Curiosity question: How many miles do you guys get from a set of tires? What's your rotation schedule and scheme? Do you rotate according to the manual or just go front to back?

Dave
Old 04-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by DEBrahms
Curiosity question: How many miles do you guys get from a set of tires? What's your rotation schedule and scheme? Do you rotate according to the manual or just go front to back?

Dave
I have approx 15K on a set, and they have never been rotated (different size tires front/rear, so not an option). The wear across the tire faces is even, but then again, I do my own alignments and keep camber at zero (+/- .25 deg.). I currently am using 2.75 / 3.0 degree caster (I max'd it out recently - previously it was in the 1.5-2 deg. range), and Toe-in is .125" total using radial tires.

Note that after setting toe in, I take the Vette out for a good drive, and then check tire temps (infared) across the face of the front tires, and also compare them with the rears. If the temps are all comparable (front to rear), then I know that toe is set so that the tires are not scubbing. If the temps are even across the face of the fronts, then know that the alignment is "pretty good", and should result in good wear.

Rear tires are getting towards renewal time. Always wondered why I wear out rear tires so quickly.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 04-29-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by DEBrahms

Dave
I don't get fanatical about it...I might rotate front to back at 6-8 thousand miles. Never rebalance unless I'm having an issue. If you get these old steel wheels right then leave them alone!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:30 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,550 Likes on 3,014 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Plasticman
I currently am using 2.75 / 3.0 degree caster (I max'd it out recently - previously it was in the 1.5-2 deg. range), and Toe-in is .125" total using radial tires.
John,

How did you get that much caster?

The most I've been able to achieve has been ~2 degrees and that's with the upright pretty much in contact with the upper control arm. To achieve any more than 2 degrees, I'd have to add another pair of crossmember shims.

Jim
Old 04-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
John,

How did you get that much caster?

The most I've been able to achieve has been ~2 degrees and that's with the upright pretty much in contact with the upper control arm. To achieve any more than 2 degrees, I'd have to add another pair of crossmember shims.

Jim
Jim,

2 "things".

1. Biased the upper inner threaded rods rearward, and shifted the upper inner bushings & A-arm (about 1/8" rearward).

2. Biased the lower inner bushings / A-arm forward by about 1 thread.

Note that I reassembled everything without springs (on both sides), set the camber/caster adjustment as far rearward (max caster) and minimal camber, and made sure everything was free to move (no binding throughout the A-arms range of motion.

Drives very nicely, and feel no real difference in parking (still not "easy" as with power steering).

Frankly it was more of a "goal" than a need (to get as much caster as I could), since it drove just fine before. But I had installed the 53/54 passenger car lowered spindle supports (lowered the front .625"), and the camber on one side was not near enough to zero for my liking. Now it is, and I will probably back off the caster next time I am in there.

John

Quick Reply: '58 Front End Alignment