C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Which Lightweight flywheel to buy for stock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
archtech
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Lightweight flywheel to buy for stock?

Replacing clutch with LUK 04-021 kit. Flywheel had some concerns so mechanic wants it replaced too. I search for flywheels and found some lightweight ones but they say

"This flywheel is NOT compatible with stock-type sprung hub clutch discs with 5 or 6 springs. The larger diameter of the stock springs creates clearance issues with the flywheel bolts"

Is there a decent lightweight one to use with the LUK clutch kit? It's 153 tooth flywheel.

I saw some 29lb (PRW) ones but isnt the stock one 25lbs?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

archtech,

Here ya' go...GM PARTS DIRECT:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/perform...CATID=913.html

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You better read up on the pros and cons of lightweight flywheels before you decide. My engine guy who builds over 300 high performance engines of all makes a year, recommended AGAINST it when we built a 500+hp big block last year. Here's an article and there are others if you search on line.

http://ca.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0...-flywheel.html
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Just last week I replaced the L-88 light weight flywheel with a Hays 26 lb. unit and Sachs stock clutch assembly in my 67 with ZL-1 engine. Car has an M-22 Rock crusher trans with 2.56 first gear and 3.70 rear. The heavier flywheel makes the car MUCH more streetable. Just my preference.............................. .

Will be selling the L-88 flywheel and an almost new Centerforce Dual Friction clutch assembly soon.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
You better read up on the pros and cons of lightweight flywheels before you decide. My engine guy who builds over 300 high performance engines of all makes a year, recommended AGAINST it when we built a 500+hp big block last year. Here's an article and there are others if you search on line.

Light weight is good for circle track racing. Bad for everything else. Every shift will be more abrupt and less smooth. It will be a dog off the line from every stop at every light and stop sign. No fun on real roads.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by EDinPA

Light weight is good for circle track racing. Bad for everything else. Every shift will be more abrupt and less smooth. It will be a dog off the line from every stop at every light and stop sign. No fun on real roads.
Originally Posted by Dr L-88
Just last week I replaced the L-88 light weight flywheel with a Hays 26 lb. unit and Sachs stock clutch assembly in my 67 with ZL-1 engine. Car has an M-22 Rock crusher trans with 2.56 first gear and 3.70 rear. The heavier flywheel makes the car MUCH more streetable. Just my preference.............................. .

Will be selling the L-88 flywheel and an almost new Centerforce Dual Friction clutch assembly soon.

I am running the Fidanza aluminum flywheel with the Centerforce II clutch. I experience none of the above symptoms. Spins quick, comes off idle perfectly even with the a/c on. No sharp drops in rpm between shifts etc...

I haven't built 100s of motors. But I have run this clutch and flywheel combo for almost 3 yrs and I recommend it.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr L-88

it seems this debate can go on forever....i really don't understand the logic copied from the above article..."Cons"
Because a lightweight flywheel spins at an increased rate in comparison with a heavier flywheel, it takes more revolutions to reach maximum engine power. This means that it takes longer to reach the engine's higher gears, decreasing initial acceleration. According to Tim Gilles, author of "Automotive Engines," a lightweight flywheel also has a higher risk of damage from rough shifting."

to me anyway, it's all about driver comfort and it will vary from car to car but i have always liked a lighter wheel in a stock or mildly modified street machine. a real seat of the pants difference in performance with some sacrifice to lowend performance but easily remedied with your clutch foot. also, i like the faster drop in speed when downshifting... with a highly modified mill, a heavier wheel would be more streetable but you still sacrifice horse power.....jmo.....

of course if we are talking about a '53 roadmaster, that's a different story!......

Last edited by midyearvette; 05-08-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I put a ZL-1 15 lb flywheel on my L-79 motored '61 back in 1978 and never looked back. withe M21 and 4.56 gears, it was rocketship

I put a new GM current replacement 15 lb unit on the 427 SB that went in the the same car a few years ago,and love it.

The lightweight FW does like a 10:1 or so first gear compound ratio, and with the 427 inch motor with its light weight rotating assembly, it can get into a surge situation in higher gears below 15 MPH, but other than that, both motors loved the lighter weight for quick responsiveness.

If I had an old school L-88 cam, and carburation, i would suggest a heavier flywheel, but with the EFI and roller cam in the 427, my motor makes more average HP and tq than a ZL-1 did, between 2500 and 6000 RPM, and accelerates like no L-88 ever did, from the factory, a heavier flywheel would just slow the car down, as I do not do clutch dumping with drag slicks as normal driving conditions.

Doug
Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default L-79

I put in the lighter flywheel for my 66 L-79 . Drove almost 40,000 miles in last 2 years. Love it. M-20 and 3.70 rear.

Took a few days to get use to it. No problem in any gear..... Midyearvette drove it and he liked it.

Jack
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Jackfit
I put in the lighter flywheel for my 66 L-79 . Drove almost 40,000 miles in last 2 years. Love it. M-20 and 3.70 rear.

Took a few days to get use to it. No problem in any gear..... Midyearvette drove it and he liked it.

Jack
Do you remember which one Jack? how heavy is it?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default 15 pounds

Do you remember which one Jack? how heavy is it?

about 15 pounds, it came off a later model corvette , still have the original

Jack

Get notified of new replies

To Which Lightweight flywheel to buy for stock?

Quick Reply: Which Lightweight flywheel to buy for stock?