C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hot smell from new fresh air vent hose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 AM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Hot smell from new fresh air vent hose?

I'm getting close to having the '60 done and I've been taking it on short shakedown runs for the past couple of months.

A couple of weeks ago I put my new fresh air vent hose on. Since that time, I have smelled a hot rubber type of smell - while I am driving the car. My fresh air vent has been closed when I have smelled this odor. It is not constant but seems to come and go.

After I get home, I have opened the hood and looked and smelled around to find the source, specifically the new hose. Up close the hose doesn't smell like the odor while I'm driving, but the hose is quite warm, as is everything in the engine compartment. Yes, the hose is routed correctly with the correct clamps, etc. and is not touching anything hot. I took a quick look at the tires but didn't see anything suspicious and my tire/wheel combo gives me ample clearance, so I don't think that could be the problem.

Is the smell probably the new hose just "burning off" some of the stuff it's coated in? Anyone else have the same thing from their hose? Anything else I should check?

Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

If that's the long hose from the heater box flapper valve to the front of the car I have changed mine twice over the years and never encountered an unusual odor. It's just a clamp on each end and a mounting bracket screw to remove it so why not run without it for a bit and see if the symptoms are still there ?

If you are smelling the rubber smell with the fresh air vent closed (via AIR **** on center console) then it's prob not the underhood hose and I would check the condition of those right angle hoses and connections at the heater box under the passenger side of the dash...
Old 08-12-2012, 02:43 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 741 Likes on 461 Posts

Terry,

I had a similar issue when I put a new fresh air hose in my 60. It seemed to be due to excessive heat from the manifold in the battery area. Always felt quite hot when I brought it in an popped the hood to hit the green ****. I picked up some insulation and wrapped the hose in that area. Easy to remove if you want it out for shows, etc. The smell does go away after a while.

Dave Z

Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Hose

It's for sure your 4" vent hose. I've had several to do that and ended up puting a heat shield between it and the manifold.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

OK, thanks for the replies!

Frank - I was about ready to remove the hose to verify if that was the cause, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else had encountered this before.

Also, when I restored my heater, I eliminated the right angle hoses and made all copper extensions that go through the firewall. I only have two short straight hoses connecting the heater core to my outlet pipes now.

DZ - Yeah, I can't believe how hot the hose gets. I assumed the smell should go away after awhile, but right now I'm just examining every odd smell and sound during my shakedown runs to get everything as right as it can be.

Moxie - That pretty wells confirms it for me. Sounds like I should probably just get some insulation for it.

Thanks again guys!

Terry
Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

The wrap in the picture looks like starter motor heat wrap Amazon, eBay, Jegs, Summitracing all sell it and possibly even your local speed shop.

The last fresh air vent hose I bought wasn't like the old ones; the new one is a more plastic textured affair with an almost sparkly black finish. It was a little more money but seems to hold up better (and no smell).
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I haven't never encountered the smell in my 62. For many years I used a stainless steel clothes dryer vent hose for the fresh air intake. Last year I covered the hose with fiberglass and painted it to look like carbon fiber,then put a old Chevy truck heat box decal on the hose.
If your trying to appear stock probably not what you would be looking for.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 741 Likes on 461 Posts

Bingo Frankie! I picked that up at a local shop in College Station but don't remember which. CRS

DZ
Old 08-14-2012, 09:36 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I installed a new Paragon hose last year and I do not have a smell.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always amazed how helpful this place is and how creative you all are.

C1Gen2 very interesting work. I wish I could pull a Jackfit and go around and see everyone and their cars.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM
56Heap
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rolled up a piece of chicken wire and put it inside the hose. It helps keep the hose from sagging down close to the exhaust manifold

Get notified of new replies

To Hot smell from new fresh air vent hose?

Quick Reply: Hot smell from new fresh air vent hose?