C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

#1 Briggs/Cunningham Corvette Ownership Dispute [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Corvette Mike Ca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John BX NY
hey Corvette mike...look up this word....schadenfreude... It fits perfectly in this case...
"malicious joy in the misfortunes of others,"???

WOW, I report news and you try to show off by using big words? You must have been waiting weeks to use this new word you found.

This is what I love about this forum, somebody reports the news that is out there and then become the bad guy for letting people know what is going on.

Do you just do this on this forum, or on all the news you get via TV and newspapers?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 PM
rick66
Pro

"I am not trying to pass judgement on anybody. I am just reporting news on something people are very interested in. "

Some would say weak.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Corvette Mike Ca
Advanced

Originally Posted by rick66
"I am not trying to pass judgement on anybody. I am just reporting news on something people are very interested in. "

Some would say weak.
Weak?? The news is weak? or is my comment weak?

Here is another site for you to comment on about this subject also: http://jerrygarrett.wordpress.com/20...rtedly-stolen/

Do a Google search and I am sure you can spend the entire day ridiculing people for reporting the same news I did. So nice being the messenger and getting slammed. This makes the forum so friendly and open to people posting news.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'd suggest a very careful approach to what words are typed out here. This has not run the full course of legal action, and some of those statements in the OP may border on slander or some other category that a non-attorney like myself would not know the fine points of.

Someone involved on one side or the other may, or may not, be a crook, but let's be careful who is accused and of what until all the facts are in. People have been sued for less.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Mike Ca
The answer to the above questions; the owner of the car Dan Mathis Sr. Who drag raced the 1960 Corvette in the mid 1970's.
What if Dan Mathis Sr. lost the car in a drag race in the 70s, a la "Pinks", but told the winner he didn't have a title? If it was an old race car, perhaps not having the title wasn't a big deal, if it wasn't a street car, anyway. It appears the two people with most knowledge of who had the legitimate claim to car have both passed on, meaning that the facts could be cloudy.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Corvette Mike Ca
Advanced

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
What if Dan Mathis Sr. lost the car in a drag race in the 70s, a la "Pinks", but told the winner he didn't have a title? If it was an old race car, perhaps not having the title wasn't a big deal, if it wasn't a street car, anyway. It appears the two people with most knowledge of who had the legitimate claim to car have both passed on, meaning that the facts could be cloudy.
You are correct. This is going to take months or years to figure out. I see a long court case coming. We are all losers at this time, as the car is not going to be shown or restored until this is all resolved.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great entertainment value and will have me coming back to read the unfolding and ultimate end of the drama along with the side editorials about the car and each other. Corvette soap opera at its best.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Corvette Mike Ca
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vogie
Great entertainment value and will have me coming back to read the unfolding and ultimate end of the drama along with the side editorials about the car and each other. Corvette soap opera at its best.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

OK, I'm really confused. Wouldn't the holder of the actual paper title of record be the owner? Wouldn't that document take the lead over any other paperwork? If not, then what's the purpose of a title?

Obviously, I'm missing something here and not understanding what's going on. Is there an assertion that the paper title is bogus?

-- Steve
Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Do a Google search and I am sure you can spend the entire day ridiculing people for reporting the same news I did. So nice being the messenger and getting slammed. This makes the forum so friendly and open to people posting news.
Google is a wonderful thing. For example, a Google search of "Dan Mathis Jr." pulls up this link:

http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Dan_Mathis_4941467/
Old 08-27-2012, 02:36 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

If Dan Mathis is in fact the legitimate owner of the car, he blew it.......

Should have waited until it was restored before he pressed his claim.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 PM
rick66
Pro

Originally Posted by Railroadman
I'd suggest a very careful approach to what words are typed out here. This has not run the full course of legal action, and some of those statements in the OP may border on slander or some other category that a non-attorney like myself would not know the fine points of.

Someone involved on one side or the other may, or may not, be a crook, but let's be careful who is accused and of what until all the facts are in. People have been sued for less.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Railroadman
That was cut and paste from the link referenced at the bottom of the post.

And technically is would be libel, not slander, though in this case, it is neither.

Doug
Old 08-27-2012, 02:48 PM
rick66
Pro

Deleted

Last edited by rick66; 08-27-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:12 PM
ironhead63
Advanced

Interesting article, thanks Corvette Mike. I will follow this to see how it turns out.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by AZDoug
That was cut and paste from the link referenced at the bottom of the post.

And technically is would be libel, not slander, though in this case, it is neither.

Doug
I didn't realize that was a paste from another publication, I thought those were the OP's words. Regardless, I'd be cautious of saying things too strongly until more is known.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I am curious with the thread too..

Get notified of new replies

To #1 Briggs/Cunningham Corvette Ownership Dispute [merged]

Old 08-27-2012, 04:05 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

"malicious joy in the misfortunes of others,"???

WOW, I report news and you try to show off by using big words? You must have been waiting weeks to use this new word you found.

This is what I love about this forum, somebody reports the news that is out there and then become the bad guy for letting people know what is going on.

Do you just do this on this forum, or on all the news you get via TV and newspapers?
Yes it's a $5 word but it fits....Not passing judgement...you called them villians for pete's sake....

Last edited by John BX NY; 08-27-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:08 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Default Title vs. registration

A couple of questions to ask when looking at this issue. 1-Has Florida alway been a "title" state? 2- If not (most states in fifties and sixties were NOT title states....a part of the registration was used to transfer ownership) when did it go to being a title state.

IMHO I agree with JOHN BX NY ....it seems that Corvette Mike is eager to share this info....too eager. The cut and paste without credits is the tipoff. Everyone should wait until the authorities come to their conclusion. Corvette Mike is basically accusing Miller and Mackay of something they may have not done or knowingly have done. We just don't know all the facts. Just MHO.....

Fred

Last edited by vettefred; 08-27-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Corvette Mike Ca
Advanced

Originally Posted by John BX NY
Yes it's a $5 word but it fits....Not passing judgement...you called them villians fo pete's sake....
These are not my words, they are from the posting I read and quoted.

I guess next time I could edit the text, but as I am not a party to any of this, I am not sure I would be qualified to modify it accurately.

Quick Reply: #1 Briggs/Cunningham Corvette Ownership Dispute [merged]