C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

T5 transmission conversion - best practice

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM
FLORIDA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default T5 transmission conversion - best practice

I have been reading all the old posts and trying to summarize the T5 transmission conversion - best practice. I like the Ford method.
1994-1995 Mustang T5 (long shaft)
Ford clutch disc
GM front bearing retainer
GM throw out bearing
stock fork
Stock linkage
Pilot bearing - Coleman for Chevy crank but Ford input shaft?
2 adapter plates as shown by norvalwilhelm (posted 01-08-2007)
shorten driveshaft - cut/weld/balance as required
rear transmission mount mods?
speedo adapter Ford/GM - fortesparts.com
Does this sound correct? Any part numbers?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 AM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Ttt
Old 08-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

I did about 3 years worth of research (and parts accumulation) before tackling the installation of my T5 in my'66 L79 earlier this year. I went with a GM World Class unit (13-52-196). I too read all of the posts and threads and have had extensive conversations with those who have "gone before us" and installed T5's in their mid-years. The main problem with the Ford unit (actually, there are 2) is that it requires an adapter plate to mount to the bellhousing, and it's longer than a GM unit. Even the shifter on the GM units needs to be modified and moved forward @ 1.5 inches, so the extra length of the Ford unit really creates a problem . . . I know that several guys have put a Ford T5 in a C3 . . . but I believe the shifter cut-out is big enough on that model to accomadate the Ford T5.

Good luck with your installation!

Tom
Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
I did about 3 years worth of research (and parts accumulation) before tackling the installation of my T5 in my'66 L79 earlier this year. I went with a GM World Class unit (13-52-196). I too read all of the posts and threads and have had extensive conversations with those who have "gone before us" and installed T5's in their mid-years. The main problem with the Ford unit (actually, there are 2) is that it requires an adapter plate to mount to the bellhousing, and it's longer than a GM unit. Even the shifter on the GM units needs to be modified and moved forward @ 1.5 inches, so the extra length of the Ford unit really creates a problem . . . I know that several guys have put a Ford T5 in a C3 . . . but I believe the shifter cut-out is big enough on that model to accomadate the Ford T5.

Good luck with your installation!

Tom
So Tom, how did it all work out? After seeing this thread I've spent the last few minutes looking up your old thread to see if there was an update but alas I didn't see any new news.

OP, I don't know about the Ford stuff but here's a link to Tom's thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...n-my-66-a.html
Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Mudbone64,

I basically finished the install @ 6 weeks ago. I drove it a few times, but the speedo cable broke the last time out. At that point I parked the '66 and transitioned to a massive kitchen/home improvement project I'm currently working my way thru . . . that project should be done in 3 weeks - then I can finish up the '66. The few miles that I put on it were great - I love 5th gear @ 60 mph . . . 2100RPM's vs 3300 before! I'll do a final write-up when I can get the car finished - I promise!

Tom
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 PM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

So the Ford set up is not good on the C2? Better for C3. OK back to the drawing board.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
Mudbone64,

I basically finished the install @ 6 weeks ago. I drove it a few times, but the speedo cable broke the last time out. At that point I parked the '66 and transitioned to a massive kitchen/home improvement project I'm currently working my way thru . . . that project should be done in 3 weeks - then I can finish up the '66. The few miles that I put on it were great - I love 5th gear @ 60 mph . . . 2100RPM's vs 3300 before! I'll do a final write-up when I can get the car finished - I promise!

Tom
I FREAKIN' HATE HOME IMPROVEMENT! Well, I like the effect but I hate the mess.

I'm looking forward to your final T5 drving impressions and write-up. I'm still a ways out from needing to install a tranny. Right now my chassis is sitting upside-down with only the front suspension attached. I'm slowly getting all of my parts togethor for the rear suspension and should be starting that re-assembly shortly.

I think I remember you saying you'd be willing to modify the transmission mount for the T5 rig. Is the offer still good on that? I may need that.

Good luck with the home improvement gig and give us a full update on the T5 when possible.

So the Ford set up is not good on the C2? Better for C3. OK back to the drawing board.
Can you lead us to some threads that illustrate the Ford set up? I can't imagine why you'd want to use the mix of Chevy and Ford parts to use a T5 in a C2 or a C3.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

I'm beginning to hate home improvement as well . . . but since my wife has been without kitchen counter tops (and a kitchen sink) for over 2 weeks now - and won't have new ones for another 11 days, the vette has to sit for another few weeks! Gotta keep momma happy!

The thread below (and many more threads contained within - see post #13) will give you all of the pros and cons of the various models of T5's, as well as many, many tips for the installation conversion.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...89-5speed.html

YES, I'll make you a trans mount - but only after I get the reno done for good!

Tom
Old 08-29-2012, 11:25 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the link Tom. I put it in my favorites for later reference.

Oh yea, I also did the kitchen reno a few years ago. The kitchen was totally gutted with new cabinets and granite counters installed. Though we left the cabinet and counter top installations to the pros, Ms. Mudbone and myself did the demolition and the repaint. My FIL did help on the plumbing. I suck at plumbling.

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

mudbone64 - I can not get the search function to work today. C3 guys are using Ford T5's out of Mustangs due to low cost, high volume, strength, gear ratio, rear transmission mount, etc. But then an adapter was required at the bellhousing. Chevy T5s from a V8 are harder to find and are angled at 15 degrees.
Now I see the link to Tom Austin's article with the Chevy to Chevy for the C2. Very nice. Now this is the way to go. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by FLORIDA; 08-30-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Just an update - I found a GM version World Class T5. I have cut off the bottom of the tail shaft so it won't interfere with the cross member. I have rebuilt the T5 so I know it's good. Now I'm looking for a tilted Camaro/Firebird bellhousing so the shiter will clear the floor/console area. Based on my measurements the non-tilted set up would require modifying the console for the shifter as well as modifying the trans and exhaust mount. I think tilted is the way to go.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

As mentioned in other posts, you can get Lakewood and McLeod bellhousings to fit the angled T5's:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Explos...sing,5213.html
http://www.amazon.com/Lakewood-15015.../dp/B000VTTB3C

Sometimes prices on Amazon are just IGNORANT, you can find it elsewhere too.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM
dirkdaddy
Instructor

Coming in late and probably somewhat under - informed but I do know our low buck road race team has a '98 mustang v6 with a T5 and we have had two failures with only less than 10 endurance races. Guys who are on the SN95 forum (mustang) don't like the tranny as its not made for a lot of HP and heavy duty use. We did get one rebuilt by a place in San Antonio who did an "x-gear conversion" which uses wider gears and shorter teeth. Our teeth on last shaft ended up embedded in 2nd gear teeth on other shaft. Was nasty looking, still have it to show off. The M21 by my book is a superior tranny, but YMMV.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

There are race cars and there are daily drivers. I am building my car for pleasure that I can afford to drive. There are stronger and more expensive transmissions. I want the overdrive.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
As mentioned in other posts, you can get Lakewood and McLeod bellhousings to fit the angled T5's:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Explos...sing,5213.html
http://www.amazon.com/Lakewood-15015.../dp/B000VTTB3C

Sometimes prices on Amazon are just IGNORANT, you can find it elsewhere too.
Great deal found for this bellhousing for $209.95 & 5.95 shipping at http://www.preciseracing.com/product.cfm?InvKey=35632 I just ordered it. I was looking elsewhere at prices of $400 to $600. So now I will sell my 1984 Camaro bellhousing with the slave cylinder. The Camaro bellhousing fork pivot ball is in a different location and changes the mechanical advantage on the linkage.

Last edited by FLORIDA; 10-04-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Just got notified the the special shipping offer does not apply. Addition $45. For shipping. Speedway offers a 515-8653 for $209.99 also or $249.99 complete with the engine plate.

Last edited by FLORIDA; 10-04-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Here is a World Class on the right side and NWC on the left.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:00 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by FLORIDA
mudbone64 - I can not get the search function to work today. C3 guys are using Ford T5's out of Mustangs due to low cost, high volume, strength, gear ratio, rear transmission mount, etc. But then an adapter was required at the bellhousing. Chevy T5s from a V8 are harder to find and are angled at 15 degrees.
Now I see the link to Tom Austin's article with the Chevy to Chevy for the C2. Very nice. Now this is the way to go. Thanks for your help.
I went with the chevy and mounted it straight up.

I sold the t5 bell and got back some of my $$$. Tilt the rear mount to match the trans angle instead. I have 2 of them in my 68 and 77 vettes and this mount modifaction made from the original mount is all you need. Unless there is something different in midyears I cant see why it wouldnd work. Take a measurement back there prior so you can put it at the same height again. It works perfect.

Last edited by John 65; 10-09-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To T5 transmission conversion - best practice

Quick Reply: T5 transmission conversion - best practice