C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What does the tube go to???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What does the tube go to???

I was about to look at the spare tire on my 65 Coupe today. As I was taking off the lock, I got sidetracked (never did look at the spare).
There is a small rubber tube "stuffed" behind the body by the spare tire lock. One end of it is loose. At first I thought it might be a gas tank overflow, but when I pulled out the loose end, a little water came out. No, I did not taste it, but I did try to smell it. It was clear liquid with no smell. The other end of the tub goes up into ??? I could not see where it went. I tried following it with my hand but never got to the attached end.
Anyone know what this tube is?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

You are correct. It is the gas overflow hose that is connected to the big rubber cup on the gas filler neck.

Jim
Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

That does sound like the overflow tube which terminates in the rubber "boot" that surrounds the filler neck.

It normally comes through the rear valence and tucks in the bottom of the passenger side bumper.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,997 Likes on 4,813 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The only tube back there from the factory is the gas boot overflow. That should exit behind the bottom of the bumper. You might have to do some investigation on where it goes
Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8corvette
I was about to look at the spare tire on my 65 Coupe today. As I was taking off the lock, I got sidetracked (never did look at the spare).
There is a small rubber tube "stuffed" behind the body by the spare tire lock. One end of it is loose. At first I thought it might be a gas tank overflow, but when I pulled out the loose end, a little water came out. No, I did not taste it, but I did try to smell it. It was clear liquid with no smell. The other end of the tub goes up into ??? I could not see where it went. I tried following it with my hand but never got to the attached end.
Anyone know what this tube is?
That's the drain hose from the large rubber cup that surrounds the fuel filler neck; open your gas fill door and you'll see a nipple at 6 o'clock in that cup - the hose attaches to that nipple and the bottom end of the hose is positioned inside the bottom of the vertical portion of the rear bumper. It's in UPC 8 in your Assembly Manual.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep, that is the hose. I guess there was a little condensation in it since it the free end was pointed up when I found it.
Looking at the assembly manual, it looks like it should be pointed down.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 PM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

It should also have a spring in the end of it to keep it in position.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks! I can buy it at Eckler's tomorrow (I live close to them).
It looks like I just zip tie it into place on the bumper brace at the top of the spring, but I can't see what holds the bottom part in place. Does it just lay inside the bumper?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:35 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8corvette
Thanks! I can buy it at Eckler's tomorrow (I live close to them).
It looks like I just zip tie it into place on the bumper brace at the top of the spring, but I can't see what holds the bottom part in place. Does it just lay inside the bumper?
Yup, just like it shows in the Assembly Manual.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

It is amazing how much time I waste by not reading directions COMPLETELY before starting a project.
I drove to Eckler's this morning and bought the "overflow tube spring". I just went to install the spring onto the tubing. I quickly realized it is not "onto" but it is "into" the tubing. I reread the Assembly Manual instructions and it does say "into". So I tried pushing the spring into the tubing, but it only went an inch. I looked inside the tubing that was on the car and it does already have the spring in the tube. So, I now I have an extra overflow tube spring. Anyone out there need this part. Cost is to "pay it forward" by helping someone in the future.

So now that I have established I am a typical male that does not always read the directions completely before starting a project, I have a question: What purpose does having a spring in the overflow tube serve? I assumed it was on the outside of the tube to protect the tube from kinking. I suppose that the inside of the tube may accomplish the same thing, but it just seems strange. Is there another reason for being inside the rubber tube?

Get notified of new replies

To What does the tube go to???

Quick Reply: What does the tube go to???