C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

59 convertible top frt latches

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:19 PM
DallasIII
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 59 convertible top frt latches

Is there a way to adjust the frt latches for easier closing after new top and rubber seal replacement ? I just had the posts reworked at Corvette central after a orginal design tab broke soon after a new windshield ,convt. top ,and rubber seals were replaced.

Tks

Dallas
Old 02-11-2014, 08:50 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DallasIII
Is there a way to adjust the frt latches for easier closing after new top and rubber seal replacement ? I just had the posts reworked at Corvette central after a orginal design tab broke soon after a new windshield ,convt. top ,and rubber seals were replaced.

Tks

Dallas
I have worked with my '57 and '61 latches quite a bit and I can only tell you that it is a trial and error procedure to get them just right. Make sure that the seals are not stiff from cold temperature. I also found out that the repro seals are often not as soft as the original ones were.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

If it wasn't a Corvette knowledgeable shop, try to find one that can help you, because you may break the other w/s post.

At first thought, I think whoever did your top installation made it too tight, and when attaching the front latches, it pulled on the frame and broke the tab.

The header latches cannot be "adjusted" to fix a top that's too tight. Their adjustment is mainly to get the front header bow seal tight against the windshield header frame. That adjustment is done by loosening the hold down screws and raising or lowering the serrated plates until they latch properly.

You may need to leave the rears hooked, not latched until you can get the top stretched out in the sun to loosen it up a bit.

Rich
p.s. If you're not aware of the sequence.......... rear latches hooked, then front latches hooked, then rears latched, then fronts latched.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:46 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Tks

Dallas

Original
Old 02-12-2014, 09:48 AM
DallasIII
Intermediate

Abdo,rich and 55 ,thank you very much that is helpful. I left the car at the glass shop as the new wind shield had to be reinstalled after i got the reworked posts back from cor cent. They no longer have tabs after cc reworks them .i wanted to replacce the new frt seal with a;softer one but have not found a supplier. I really appreciate the help. Other issues i want to talk to you guys about but one thing at a time .
Dallas
Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Abdo,rich and 55 ,thank you very much that is helpful. I left the car at the glass shop as the new wind shield had to be reinstalled after i got the reworked posts back from cor cent. They no longer have tabs after cc reworks them .i wanted to replacce the new frt seal with a;softer one but have not found a supplier. I really appreciate the help. Other issues i want to talk to you guys about but one thing at a time .
Dallas
I'm sure you meant they have stronger steel (not pot metal) tabs
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Yup, I think so too....

Dallas, check this out.....More Info

...and the link in there about the tabs.

Rich
Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 AM
DallasIII
Intermediate

Gentlemen they came back with no tabs. Just two bolt holes and a slot for the chrome strip attachment
Old 02-12-2014, 10:14 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Gentlemen they came back with no tabs. Just two bolt holes and a slot for the chrome strip attachment
Holy crap they forgot to install the new tabs and shipped 'em out that way?

It's hard to believe, but then again......, please send a pic or two.

See this link...

http://home.comcast.net/~richmz/site...ge_and_Repair/
Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM
DallasIII
Intermediate

Rich ,Frankie ,abdo et al :

Sorry guys I was wrong as to what was shipped ,I called the installer @ the glass shop and he said that the tabs were in the box but not attached but were shipped as separate hardware and thus found and installed by him after I dropped the boxes off at his shop he bolted them on or attached them some how. He feels CC rework is well done to avoid the problem in the future.. Sorry for my ignorance as to what was actually included and Tks again.

Dallas
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by rich5962
Holy crap they forgot to install the new tabs and shipped 'em out that way?

It's hard to believe, but then again......, please send a pic or two.

See this link...

http://home.comcast.net/~richmz/site...ge_and_Repair/
Rich and others,
PDF of the tab repair web pages is attached.

Dave Z

Get notified of new replies

To 59 convertible top frt latches

Quick Reply: 59 convertible top frt latches