C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Modifying a 327 FI Engine for Today's Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:41 PM
BeaverGuy
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying a 327 FI Engine for Today's Gasoline

My '57 currently has a really good running 327 with 11.25 compression pistons, 300 hp heads, a 7017360 '62 FI and a '70 LT1 solid lifter cam. The obvious problem is too much compression for today's 91-93 octane gasoline. I have heard that 9.5 to 1 is the highest compression ratio that should be used with today's 91-93 octane although aluminum heads might allow a 1.0 ratio more. Anyone have any advice on this dilemma short of totally rebuilding this engine?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Yes, I would suggest you leave it alone unless you have solid evidence to support your compression is too high or you have other problems like timing is screwed up.

Why do you think the problem is "obvious"?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 PM
BeaverGuy
Navigator

I said "obvious" because I assume the the CR is pretty close to what it was built to be - 11.25:1. The engine builder used the same forged pistons that were in the '62 327/360 engine. There is probably some test equipment that would tell me the true CR. I'm dropping this engine in the restored frame before dropping the restored/painted body over it so I don't want to guess that the engine is OK.

Last edited by BeaverGuy; 03-06-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Lots of guys are running 11:1 with straight pump gas without issue. Why can't you?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:58 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got three examples. Those pistons, those heads, similar (2) or same (1) cam, 36* total centrifugal advance....runs fine on todays pump premium.

Harry
Old 03-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BeaverGuy
I said "obvious" because I assume the the CR is pretty close to what it was built to be - 11.25:1. The engine builder used the same forged pistons that were in the '62 327/360 engine. There is probably some test equipment that would tell me the true CR. I'm dropping this engine in the restored frame before dropping the restored/painted body over it so I don't want to guess that the engine is OK.

The engine builder should provide you with the calculated CR based on bore, head gasket, piston/deck clearance, head combustion chamber volume, stroke, piston dome.

That's just static compression ratio. Other factors affect how CR and detonation are related like iron/alum heads (like you mentioned) and camshaft selection.

Your best bet is to get all of those measurements from the builder and post them here for some opinions. Or better yet, use this calculator
http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html
Brian
Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 PM
BeaverGuy
Navigator

Originally Posted by Allcoupedup
The engine builder should provide you with the calculated CR based on bore, head gasket, piston/deck clearance, head combustion chamber volume, stroke, piston dome.

That's just static compression ratio. Other factors affect how CR and detonation are related like iron/alum heads (like you mentioned) and camshaft selection.

Your best bet is to get all of those measurements from the builder and post them here for some opinions. Or better yet, use this calculator
http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html
Brian
Thanks for the help. Brian. Unfortunately that engine was built many years ago by a very good engine builder who is no longer around and did not provide any of the data that you mention. All I know is that it is a standard stroke 327 with a .30 overbore and stock '66 300 hp heads . I really appreciate everyone chiming in on this problem. Reference the comment about running the CR as is, it was a Shell Oil engineer who told me that 9.5 CR on pump gas is the max that should be run on today's 91-93 octane gas.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 467 Likes on 295 Posts

Default Cr

You can easily run 10.5 or more like said above on pump gas. Take a feeler gauge and put it where the head meets the block. See how thick your headgasket is and then roughly calculate your CR. The advertised CR was with a steel shim headgasket that was thin. Yours was probably assembled with a thicker gasket. I doubt you are at 11 to 1.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Reference the comment about running the CR as is, it was a Shell Oil engineer who told me that 9.5 CR on pump gas is the max that should be run on today's 91-93 octane gas.
Oil company engineers are not typical the best source of info for engine config.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I am running 11:1 in my 383 w/ Dart Iron Heads and it runs fine on premium pump gas...
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

I remember having pre-detonation issues in 1971 with a 70 Z/28 I had. It was due to cheap gas (Gemco I think). The dealership mechanic suggested I try a higher grade gas with a higher Octane. It worked.
Today's computer assisted engines can run with higher compression without issues but an old-tech engine does not usually have the advantage of current technology to overcome the inherent flaws of crummy gas. I had my L84 built to 10.5 and the engine seemed to have no issues on the dyno. The h.p. was close to factory and with some work on the heads exceeded the factory numbers.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

It would be a good idea to concentrate on ethanol related issues.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Yes, I would suggest you leave it alone unless you have solid evidence to support your compression is too high or you have other problems like timing is screwed up.

Why do you think the problem is "obvious"?
I am with you here mike, on the timing or something worse in the motor build. To the OP here was this motor really put together with #1 at top dead center. Plus how are you are whom ever really checking and doing the timing of the motor.
I don't mean that someone don't know what he is doing here. Just saying if you are letting someone else do this, are they saying they have done this work and really not checking and doing it. Just to get more money out of you down the road. As me how I know this one. But if it is set up correct with 11:5:1 this motor will run good with 93 in here. May have to pull a little timing out on the top end. Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 03-07-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:08 PM
BeaverGuy
Navigator

Originally Posted by robert miller
I am with you here mike, on the timing or something worse in the motor build. To the OP here was this motor really put together with #1 at top dead center. Plus how are you are whom ever really checking and doing the timing of the motor.
I don't mean that someone don't know what he is doing here. Just saying if you are letting someone else do this, are they saying they have done this work and really not checking and doing it. Just to get more money out of you down the road. As me how I know this one. But if it is set up correct with 11:5:1 this motor will run good with 93 in here. May have to pull a little timing out on the top end. Robert
Thanks for the advice. I checked the engine TDC before putting on the heads.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:22 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Hey Beaver!

I run a very similar engine combo to yours. I could say it's built to stock specs but I'd be lying. It has been bored .040, block decked to .019 piston clearance and it has the .039? Felpro head gaskets on it. That's about .020 thicker than the OEM shim gasket. So, I'd guess the things that affect compression in my engine are very similar, bottom line to OEM results. Whatever that is. I also run the same 097 camshaft. I run stock timing curve and advance. My engine runs really well on 89 E10 with only a little rattle on initial throttle tip in.

If you engine has similar specs close to OEM, I wouldn't worry about it as I posted above and so did a few others.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:43 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I checked the engine TDC before putting on the heads.
Have you had the dist check out in the car. I didn't mean nothing on any one here at all. Just back in the past took my car to a shop to get something fixed. Came back and they had me build for almost 700.00 more and said all this other stuff was wrong.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:42 PM
BeaverGuy
Navigator

Originally Posted by MikeM
Hey Beaver!

I run a very similar engine combo to yours. I could say it's built to stock specs but I'd be lying. It has been bored .040, block decked to .019 piston clearance and it has the .039? Felpro head gaskets on it. That's about .020 thicker than the OEM shim gasket. So, I'd guess the things that affect compression in my engine are very similar, bottom line to OEM results. Whatever that is. I also run the same 097 camshaft. I run stock timing curve and advance. My engine runs really well on 89 E10 with only a little rattle on initial throttle tip in.

If you engine has similar specs close to OEM, I wouldn't worry about it as I posted above and so did a few others.
Thanks Mike! Good to hear from someone who is running pretty much the same setup. I'd be interested to know the induction setup you are using.

I just talked to a local engine machine shop that has an excellent reputation. He will remove the heads and see where we need to go from there. He has access to a dyno so we can install the FI and make sure the engine runs well before we put it into the restored frame and drop the body on.

Get notified of new replies

To Modifying a 327 FI Engine for Today's Gasoline

Old 03-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I run a GM 1970 LT-1 crate engine and was told years ago it would not work with my FI.....The only drawback is sometimes it`s hard starting when hot which I attribute to todays gas....I surmised this because when new and in Miami it never reacted that way nor did it in Michigan before the government fuked the gas up and when 100 octane was available everywhere....

In all fairness to todays fuel there is a NOS solenoid in the spider to preventing the cylinders from getting into a expensive hydraulic drain back situation and thus breaking expensive parts..Has to crank up fuel. .Otherwise the engine has had zero issues with 93 when it became the only so called high octane fuel....

I have used aviation gas when near an airport and additives don't work, it merely makes that 93 pump junk more expensive when added together

the above won't change any minds....but Whatever
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

My 62 Corvette 340 HP 11.25 to 1 CR runs fine on Shell 93 octane with ethanol.
My 57 250 HP low compression (9.0 to 1??) also runs fine on the same fuel. No percolation, vapor lock, starting or any other problems.
A anti siphon solenoid is essential on all Rochester FI units.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:24 AM
BeaverGuy
Navigator

Originally Posted by ohiovet
My 62 Corvette 340 HP 11.25 to 1 CR runs fine on Shell 93 octane with ethanol.
My 57 250 HP low compression (9.0 to 1??) also runs fine on the same fuel. No percolation, vapor lock, starting or any other problems.
A anti siphon solenoid is essential on all Rochester FI units.
Thanks for the input. When I was in Redmond Oregon last weekend I noticed that the local Shell service station was selling "no ethanol" premium. That looks like a good choice if I could find it here in Tacoma. My FI unit has been totally restored and has an anti siphon solenoid. It's stored in the closet awaiting this engine in the the completion of the '57 restoration.

Quick Reply: Modifying a 327 FI Engine for Today's Gasoline