C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Lowerering a C2 in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:08 PM
409/409
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Lowerering a C2 in the rear

I just installed the 8" bolts on my '66 and lowered it 1.5". My question is since it was aligned recently, what would be a reasonable amount of adjustment to keep the rear wheels "straight" short of getting a realignment? The rear went down 1.5" and the front went up 3/8". I don't think the front going up 3/8" would be of much concern regarding front alignment, but 1.5" in the rear might be, or am I wrong?

Also the 8" bolts are not drilled for using castle nuts with cotter pins and I used nylon lock nuts. Are these safe or should the bolts be drilled and cotter pinned?

Thanks for all replies.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:19 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 409/409
I just installed the 8" bolts on my '66 and lowered it 1.5". My question is since it was aligned recently, what would be a reasonable amount of adjustment to keep the rear wheels "straight" short of getting a realignment? The rear went down 1.5" and the front went up 3/8". I don't think the front going up 3/8" would be of much concern regarding front alignment, but 1.5" in the rear might be, or am I wrong?

Also the 8" bolts are not drilled for using castle nuts with cotter pins and I used nylon lock nuts. Are these safe or should the bolts be drilled and cotter pinned?

Thanks for all replies.
The rear camber setting should be checked and touched-up as required - it changes with suspension height changes.

The Nylock nuts should be OK; mark them and check them occasionally for movement.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:49 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I agree with JohnZ. Nylocks on mine have been fine.
You can eyeball the camber and adjust, but Id recommend an alignment.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

409/409,
If you recently had an alignment...hopefully you have the print out on the specs of when it was done. And YES...I know the settings can change due to driving...but I would have the alignment heads put back on it just to make sure your toe adjustment is not too far out of spec in the rear. 1 inch is as about as a far as I will go until I start having concerns in the rear toe adjustment when lowering the suspension. Just my thoughts on this issue.

DUB
Old 03-19-2014, 07:34 PM
anyChevy
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
You can eyeball the camber and adjust, but Id recommend an alignment.
Put a spirit level (vertically) across the rim and you'll be able to see if its out enough to warrant an alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To Lowerering a C2 in the rear

Quick Reply: Lowerering a C2 in the rear