C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dual air meter FI unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:56 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default Dual air meter FI unit

For those who may be interested in this sort of thing, here is one that I'm finishing up with.

The fuel meter side is virtually unchanged (but ONLY EXternally).

Old 04-01-2014, 02:56 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Thats gonna flow some air!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:02 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Really nice work! Is that for a customer, or for yourself?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Wow Tom, looks like a tremendous job. Looking forward to more info as you progress.

How did you block off the center stock port on the plenum? It almost looks like it's undetectable in the pictures.

Rich
Old 04-01-2014, 08:02 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i seen one with 3; 2 on the top and the original on the side...
Bill
Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Bill Thomas would love you Tom!

Verne
Old 04-01-2014, 10:08 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
Really nice work! Is that for a customer, or for yourself?
It was sent to me by one of the CF members right here.
It had NO starting circuit nor chokes. I fabricated everything for a starting circuit system just like on a 7380 unit (micro switch, 7380 fuel spider/solenoid and the fuel meter lid had to be changed). I fabricated all new main signal lines and rounded up everything to make the chokes work and fabricated vacuum lines for the choke pull off. The car will have headers, thus an exhaust heated choke tube cannot be used, so I installed elec choke covers---------------which work perfect!

The entire left side of the plenum was cut out, the runners were cut down to the floor of the plenum, a 1/2in alum plate welded in, machined, holes were cut in place and new studs installed.

Since there was no starting circuit, I had to fabricate a method of mounting a micro switch from scratch. So here is where I put it. With everything assembled, it's almost completely hidden.

This is the way the unit came to me. No chokes (the choke housing on the front AM is empty) and no micro switch.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 04-01-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

This is the more common method of building a dual air meter unit. This particular one was on the Grady Davis Gulf Oil racer.

And this is an early style which is on the SR2 that was recently sold by Rich Mason. This is the type that I want to build for the 56

This is one installed on one of Bill Thomas' Cheetahs.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:20 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

GREAT pictures and story Tom!!! Now that I know this was an "option" on my 1963 Z06, I need you to build me one
Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 PM
jumpin' jack flash
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom
did you modify the spill plunger/spill valve to compensate for the 1/2 strength main signal, or was that already done?
I know a bushing was installed in the "tack" type spill valve to decrease the id, and the head of the tack was reduced proportionally. Any photos AND dimensions would be appreciated. Bill Thomas supposedly did some special maching to the tips of the nozzles, but was secretive about details because he wanted to MARKET a dual a/m setup. What are the intake runner lengths (plenum floor to valve) on this unit versus a production plenum? As a FI guy (I run a 1963 unit on my 1956) I always enjoy your posts.Keep up the good work, and keep us updated. thanks.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:44 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

The "thumb tack" style spill valve had already been modified as you mentioned. The Nozzles had been modified and the spring in the enrichment housing had about one coil cut off. All of the above were modifications per Bill Thomas' specs.
Originally, I was tasked to install a starting circuit. One thing led to another, and I did a total rebuild in addition to the other things.
I'm especially pleased with the way the chokes turned out.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Cool project Tom! Looking forward to some performance tests on this unit. What will it be going on? Nice work!!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by K2
Cool project Tom! Looking forward to some performance tests on this unit. What will it be going on? Nice work!!
Klaus,
It's not my unit. It belongs to one of the CF members here. As I understand, he has a 63 race car that it will go on. We'll have to wait until he gets it installed to see how it does.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Attaboy

Hats off to you guys with the skills to make these things happen. My skill level is pretty much limited to changing parts out, and I have great admiration for the experts.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:58 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Tom,
A guy in Columbus , Ohio had a C1 dual air horn unit on Craigslist a few years ago.
Very cool.
I just couldn't afford it at the time.
Bruce B
Old 04-02-2014, 03:10 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
The "thumb tack" style spill valve had already been modified as you mentioned. The Nozzles had been modified and the spring in the enrichment housing had about one coil cut off. All of the above were modifications per Bill Thomas' specs.
Originally, I was tasked to install a starting circuit. One thing led to another, and I did a total rebuild in addition to the other things.
You answered my question on chokes, I'd imagine it took some finesse synchronizing a pair of chokes. Curious why you went with two chokes, one should be sufficient? I imagine you must have contemplated onetime or another going to a longer shaft connecting the two butterflies working from one choke? Buuuut after stating this last idea on one shaft theory, it would be extremely difficult to align from one horn to the next (binding) issues correct? Wonder how much more performance it delivered over conventional setup, any dyno results?

Very interesting looks killer!

rustylugnuts
Old 04-02-2014, 03:22 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts

Wonder how much more performance it delivered over conventional setup, any dyno results?

rustylugnuts
Hold yer fire. I'm merely the messenger() but it looks like they come up a little short. Don't know whether this Gulf Oil dyno sheet is for a 327 or a 377 engine. It says 327. I have always heard, they don't run worth a crap over the whole rpm band!

http://www.racingicons.com/gs/004/gulf.htm

Last edited by MikeM; 04-02-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dual air meter FI unit

Old 04-02-2014, 05:18 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by MikeM
Hold yer fire. I'm merely the messenger() but it looks like they come up a little short. Don't know whether this Gulf Oil dyno sheet is for a 327 or a 377 engine. It says 327. I have always heard, they don't run worth a crap over the whole rpm band!

http://www.racingicons.com/gs/004/gulf.htm
i would guess that they would be rather 'peaky', especially if the runners are cut back; practical only within a narrow rpm range (and a high one at that.... ) your chart seems to support that theory...
Bill
Old 04-02-2014, 05:40 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

I run a highly modified unit on my 64 road race car. It flows around 700CFM with a single air meter. very stable A/F ratio through entire RPM range. One problem you may have is that the units run leaner on the right side of the engine because air builds pressure inside the box on that side. You might want to install two broad band sensors for running on the car and tune to the leanest side . Works for mine. Jerry
Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

It was sent to me by one of the CF members right here.
It had NO starting circuit nor chokes. I fabricated everything for a starting circuit system just like on a 7380 unit (micro switch, 7380 fuel spider/solenoid and the fuel meter lid had to be changed). I fabricated all new main signal lines and rounded up everything to make the chokes work and fabricated vacuum lines for the choke pull off. The car will have headers, thus an exhaust heated choke tube cannot be used, so I installed elec choke covers---------------which work perfect!

The entire left side of the plenum was cut out, the runners were cut down to the floor of the plenum, a 1/2in alum plate welded in, machined, holes were cut in place and new studs installed.

Since there was no starting circuit, I had to fabricate a method of mounting a micro switch from scratch. So here is where I put it. With everything assembled, it's almost completely hidden.

This is the way the unit came to me. No chokes (the choke housing on the front AM is empty) and no micro switch.

Where did you get those nice air meter to air cleaner adaptors. I like those. Do you have any more?

Quick Reply: Dual air meter FI unit