C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Glove Box lock, can't remove lock!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 PM
mnavarro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C1 Glove Box lock, can't remove lock!

I have read the threads describing how to remove lock. There doesn't appear to be a pin to press down to remove lock. Is this lock in backwards? The teeth of the key are pointing up when inserted into the lock. What is the best way to remove this without marring front of glove box. I was thinking of removing the glove box cover ... drilling out the other side in the hopes of removing cylinder. Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 AM
3310vette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Place the key in the slot, push a tiny screwdriver or ice pick into the slot on the side of the cylinder while pulling or turning the key (forgot which it is) and the internal part will come out with the key.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:00 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Joe, I don't think that'll work because the tumbler is upside down, which misaligned the lock pin.

The tumbler was installed wrong, so your only option is to use a tool or rubber jar opener and try to turn the chrome bezel ccw to remove it from the lock housing. If you get a small wide elastic band around the bezel, try turning by hand. If no-go, carefully use a needlenose plier on the rubber band. Put some masking tape around the door to protect the paint surrounding the bezel.

Ironically, I have a buddy's '61 here that has the same problem as yours, new perfect paint on the car, and I've been procrastinating to take off the lock bezel for fear of damaging it or the paint.

I may attempt it today since you reminded me, and see if my advice works on his car.

Rich
Old 05-14-2014, 04:18 PM
mnavarro
Instructor

Thanks Rich, I will see if I could do something with this, I was thinking of drilling out the other side and seeing if I could press the pin down (from the other side) and remove the lock, otherwise I will have a go via the bezel.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by mnavarro
Thanks Rich, I will see if I could do something with this, I was thinking of drilling out the other side and seeing if I could press the pin down (from the other side) and remove the lock, otherwise I will have a go via the bezel.
Just a thought; is there enough clearance (space to the back of the door) that you could make a series of cuts into that ridge using a small cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool to duplicate the normal slot?
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2014, 06:20 PM
mnavarro
Instructor

Originally Posted by DZVette
Just a thought; is there enough clearance (space to the back of the door) that you could make a series of cuts into that ridge using a small cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool to duplicate the normal slot?
I can try that, I was thinking a drill would be easier.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Status?

I had to take the door off this '61 to get the lock apart. The lock mechanism was locked, but luckily the door wasn't latched closed. it was just sitting against the catch.

Here's what I had to do. The reason it was jammed, was because whoever installed it, also installed the small ring in the housing. I've seen this ring come with the reproduction lock sets. I NEVER use it. If it's installed, it can jam the mechanism and cause the lock not to work.

I wrote up some info with pics on my website.....

Here.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Glove Box lock, can't remove lock!

Quick Reply: C1 Glove Box lock, can't remove lock!