C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Beginner Master Cylinder question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:34 PM
myronf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beginner Master Cylinder question

My trip home from Road America in the 65 vette was a bit of an adventure last Friday. My stopping power was poor and the brake pedal did not do much until it was half way down. It's a non PB car.

I checked the calipers and they seemed ok. Ran my hand under the mc and it was dry. I then removed the mc and found the plunger in the back slightly wet. I then put the mc in a cradle to hold it and poured silicon brake fluid in, enough to cover the bottom holes. It leaked out the back, one drop every 30 seconds. I assume that it is bad? Is the plunger in this position when when my foot is off the brake pedal, or is it slightly pushed in, and then eliminating any leaks?

I assume that it's bad and that irritates me because I bought it about a year ago for good money. It's the right p/n and date code for the car. Sounds like sleeve time, or should I just bag it and buy a new one. Any suggestions on where to buy one?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:48 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you just need a piston kit. Also, check for scours in the bore, If so, re-hone it. If that doesn't work, rebuild it. Don't throw away your original master cylinder.

Last edited by wonderful; 07-22-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:24 AM
myronf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that I know is that it needs more than a kit, as this kit only lasted about 500 mi.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by myronf
One thing that I know is that it needs more than a kit, as this kit only lasted about 500 mi.

You can:

1. Have it sleeved and rebuilt
2. Buy an exact reproduction
3. Buy a service replacement
4. Try the piston/seal kit again

The leakage you observed is not acceptable and needs to be corrected.

Larry
Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

If the kit only lasted 500 or so miles, then the bore is probably ripping up with piston seals.

Mine needed some work, but I opted to just shelf the original unit and bought a new replacement. Sure it's not correct, but my intention is to have the original professionally rebuilt/honed/sleeved/whatever when she embarks on a body off restoration.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Send it to Ken at Lonestar Caliper and have him rebuild or sleeve it as needed. He stands behind his work! Customer service is NOT a plaque on the janitors closet with him.
Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Beginner Master Cylinder question

Quick Reply: Beginner Master Cylinder question