C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Cuban "Classics"

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:29 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Whichever they find is okay with me. I know I will be able to afford it once the embargo is lifted and all those banking officials can finally release me the 3.5 million dollars u.s. that has been sitting dormant since 1959 in an unclaimed account.

Last edited by SledgeHammer 2.0; 12-23-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:40 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by SledgeHammer 2.0
Whichever they find is okay with me. I know I will be able to afford it once the embargo is lifted and all those banking officials can finally release me the 3.5 million dollars us that has been sitting dormant since 1959 in an unclaimed account.
Frozen, you mean? 3.5mm is a lot of 1959 dollars (not inconsiderable obviously today!).
Old 12-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by wonderful
I don't think you will find anything worth while. By looking at some photos, those cars are really tired from all the modifications and wear. But again, rust free frames
We will see what US Customs has to say about this.
Cuba is an island surrounded by saltwater. Doubtful you find anything rust free

Last edited by Dale002; 12-30-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:05 AM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dale002
Cuban is an island surrounded by saltwater. Doubtful you find anything rust free
Hmm!
See some car photos from Cuba. I have been around old cars longer than I care to remember. By looking at the photos of the die cast trim and chrome bumpers, there is not too much pitting, so I think that the frames in the most part are rust free (maybe surface rust), but no rot. Going to take Spanish speaking classes. Someday, I will visit Cuba and find out first hand the metal condition on the Cuban cars. Miami, Florida has the same climate as Havana, Cuba. Please correct me if I am wrong.
http://archive.freep.com/article/201...cars-still-run
Old 12-30-2014, 06:44 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Hmm!
See some car photos from Cuba. I have been around old cars longer than I care to remember. By looking at the photos of the die cast trim and chrome bumpers, there is not too much pitting, so I think that the frames in the most part are rust free (maybe surface rust), but no rot. Going to take Spanish speaking classes. Someday, I will visit Cuba and find out first hand the metal condition on the Cuban cars. Miami, Florida has the same climate as Havana, Cuba. Please correct me if I am wrong.
i think it's the proximity to the saltwater that is the problem. 'conventional wisdom' is to NEVER buy a car that is parked consistently near the ocean, but further inland is not a problem
Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Hmm!
If you are Canadian you can go Now to Cuba. Cubans have become very skilled in maintaining there vehicle due to necessity. In Cuba they have paint,welding and plating shops in every back yard. So, all those nice bumpers and trim, Have been spliced, plated and repair so many times that there is little of the original metal left. Body panels are full of real lead and lately bondo due to being available more in the last 15 years.They look great in pictures!

Almost the same climate in Miami as Havana. One is sub tropic and the other is tropic. Cars are rusting away in Miami right now.

Last edited by Dale002; 12-30-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:43 AM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dale002
If you are Canadian you can go Now to Cuba. Cubans have become very skilled in maintaining there vehicle due to necessity. In Cuba they have paint,welding and plating shops in every back yard. So, all those nice bumpers and trim, Have been spliced, plated and repair so many times that there is little of the original metal left. Body panels are full of real lead and lately bondo due to being available more in the last 15 years.They look great in pictures!

Almost the same climate in Miami as Havana. One is sub tropic and the other is tropic. Cars are rusting away in Miami right now.
Thanks for your information. I have come to the conclusion that not all southern cars are rust free. Saw a nice (I thought) 57 Chevy convertible for sale on my journeys on the northern California coast highway years ago.
Car was near the Pacific Ocean. It had body rust.
The 66 Corvette Salvage Coupe (no hit body) that I bought in Los Angeles in 2011 had rot on the drip rails. Otherwise, the car just had surface rust.

Last edited by wonderful; 12-31-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:42 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SledgeHammer 2.0
Whichever they find is okay with me. I know I will be able to afford it once the embargo is lifted and all those banking officials can finally release me the 3.5 million dollars u.s. that has been sitting dormant since 1959 in an unclaimed account.
Be sure to ask for it in 1959 silver certificate U.S. paper money.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:46 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
i think it's the proximity to the saltwater that is the problem. 'conventional wisdom' is to NEVER buy a car that is parked consistently near the ocean, but further inland is not a problem
Ocean salt does not rise above 100 feet in dangerous (to metal) quantities. If the car was parked 200 feet up or more, no problem.

-CF member 1/4 mile from the Pacific, driveway 850 feet above sea level for 35 years, no rust even on cars parked outside every night.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:18 AM
BigT-65
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 63redvette
Cuban cigars yes Cuban cars NO! Don't fool yourselves into thinking anything from Cuba is numbers matching and worth a dollar. You're better off buying a Russian Lada from there...at least that's an exotic. Back to the Cuban cigars...:fl ag:
I wouldn't want to buy any of them but it would be interesting to check them out. I bet you would see some crazy mods.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I just happened to see on ABC tonight that the news guy asked a 'question' as to how much the cars would go for back in the states....

$20,000 was the 'quote he threw out there' and 3 times that because of the history...

I wouldn't pay squat for one of them...but if one was to get here in the States someone would probably and most likely pay the 20 grand...
Old 01-21-2015, 11:48 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I do remember during one particularly bad EL NINO season

Originally Posted by sub006
Ocean salt does not rise above 100 feet in dangerous (to metal) quantities. If the car was parked 200 feet up or more, no problem.

-CF member 1/4 mile from the Pacific, driveway 850 feet above sea level for 35 years, no rust even on cars parked outside every night.

The salt rose to 107.35 feet above sea level! And if i was a 1/4 mile from the Beach, I could clean up on charging for preferred beach parking! I would even offer special "real" special Valet parking service to anyone with a decent performance car only! But naturally at 850 feet above, they would have to cliff dive to access the beach! Where the hell do you live? I am running Socal geography thru my head trying to think where there is an 850 foot high cliff? you don't have to answer, but Blacks Beach!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-21-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Cuban "Classics"