C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

help needed with 63 windshield install

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:05 AM
rccarson
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Default help needed with 63 windshield install

OK,
I have installed at least 15 windshields in mid year corvettes and not had this problem. I can get the glass installed around the top and sides but cannot get the bottom of the glass to seat into the window opening and get the window seal to lay flat against the glass. I have tried three different window rubber seals from three different distributors with the same results. I have a original windshield that I removed from this car.I am having problems in the areas that are occupied by the window trim clips. I am using long island corvette clips which look very simular to originals.
any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE ON WINDOW

Alot has happened in my life since April 15 ( built new home and moved shop, Health issues with parents, and consulting for the company I retired from) I contacted an old friend of mine who owns a speedy glass company and who taught me how to install automotive glass about 40 years ago and got him to agree to help me install the windshield. I have a new (the third) Corvette rubber seal and I am looking for good things to happen. I have all other components assembled and even took it for a ride w/o the windshield. It runs awesome for a 340 horse. (I did come up missing a piece of rear window moulding in the move. (but found one on flea bay) I will update the windshield issue in two weeks when I get it completed with pics.

Last edited by rccarson; 05-07-2016 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-07-2015, 01:28 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rccarson
OK,
I have installed at least 15 windshields in mid year corvettes and not had this problem. I can get the glass installed around the top and sides but cannot get the bottom of the glass to seat into the window opening and get the window seal to lay flat against the glass. I have tried three different window rubber seals from three different distributors with the same results. I have a original windshield that I removed from this car.I am having problems in the areas that are occupied by the window trim clips. I am using long island corvette clips which look very simular to originals.
any help would be appreciated.
I always start from the bottom and then work up the sides and then the top of the window.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Corvette Rubber has the best gaskets IMO. Using the original clips are the best approach and I'm assuming you know there are two different sizes in '63 (thin and thick) -- I can't say on other midyears.

Here is some info that might help a bit; when this article was written Paragon had the best clips -- that may have changed:

http://1963splitwindow.blogspot.com/...tion-1963.html

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-07-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:49 AM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure your windshield gasket is from corvette rubber. Several other brand gaskets are not made to oem specs and can cause the problem you are having. Also 63 verts have 2 wide clips on the lower outside edges on each side. Some people use their old clips for a better fit. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:02 PM
rccarson
Racer

Thank you forum members for the responses! I will purchase another windshield seal from Corvette Rubber and give it a try. I am aware of the different clips and have them in the correct location. The clips are set tight against the windshield opening and I have tried installing the glass using different size cord starting from the bottom of the opening first and again from the top with the same results. It must be the rubber seal. I have tried seals from CC, Paragon, and LIC with the same result. I will post my results when I get the new corvette rubber seal.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:24 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

I recall a forum member that fabricated a tool made from a cotter pin extractor. He ground the point into a ball style tip and used that to assist the inside rubber to fold over the frame from the inside. Keep us informed.
Brgds,
Rene
Old 05-07-2016, 08:10 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Please provide an update.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Thank you forum members for the responses! I will purchase another windshield seal from Corvette Rubber and give it a try. I am aware of the different clips and have them in the correct location. The clips are set tight against the windshield opening and I have tried installing the glass using different size cord starting from the bottom of the opening first and again from the top with the same results. It must be the rubber seal. I have tried seals from CC, Paragon, and LIC with the same result. I will post my results when I get the new corvette rubber seal.
BEFORE you go an buy a new windshield gasket...call the places you bought what has not worked and see if they are getting it from Corvette Rubber.

DUB
Old 06-10-2016, 03:01 PM
rccarson
Racer

Default Puzzle solved

After having my glass shop buddy try to install my new Pilkington windshield with no joy we decided to compare it to my original glass that I had stored away. When we laid the original windshield over the new one we could see that the new windshield was clearly to big to fit in the upper corners of the birdcage.(about 1/2" to big) I don't know if the extra length is in the bottom of the glass or the top but it don't fit. I called Pilkington classic glass to see if they have had this issue with others and was told no issues have been reported. Has anyone on the forum had this issue? Pilkington is supposed to contact me this coming Monday to discuss how they will handle. I will keep you posted.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

PLEASE DO...

I have had some of the rear pop out back glass for a 1968-1972 not be cut correct and I have origianls to go by. it is pretty sad when ti can not even get teh frame back together with no channel tape installed....and 'they' tell me that they are fine....YEAH---go figure. And I do believe the rear glass was not by Pilkington Classic glass.

DUB
Old 06-20-2016, 01:45 PM
rccarson
Racer

Default Not a happy camper

I received a call today from Pilkington Classic glass and was told that there was nothing they could do to remedy the incorrect windshield sold to me for the 63. The reason given was that to much time has passed between purchase and installation. (20 months) I responded that I thought they should replace the product since time does not affect the fit of the glass. They did offer to sell me another windshield with date code stating that the new ones fit properly. That's not likely to happen! I purchased windshield with date service and shipping with expectation that date code was correct and that the glass fit the car. As a consumer I am disappointed in what I thought was a reputable company that would stand behind their product. As a corvette enthusiast I am mad as hell that I wasted my time and money on a product that will keep my car off the road for several more weeks. I have read the past posts on suppliers but I would like recommendations from those of you who have purchased windshields in the last 3-6 months and who you purchased from.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:34 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Thinking pragmatically for a moment..... is there no way you could trim off the extra 1/2" of glass?
Old 06-20-2016, 05:19 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Thinking pragmatically for a moment..... is there no way you could trim off the extra 1/2" of glass?
I've had door glass cut smaller before. Problem with the windshield would the curve be correct.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:42 PM
rccarson
Racer

I have been told that 80 grit sand paper and water can be used to grind the glass away. The area that needs removed is in the two upper corners on the radius. I may look for a glass shop that is willing to try.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:39 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I have been told that 80 grit sand paper and water can be used to grind the glass away. The area that needs removed is in the two upper corners on the radius. I may look for a glass shop that is willing to try.
Given that the vendor won't take care of you and you otherwise are facing the specter of buying another windshield, I'd say you've got nothing to lose by trying.

I think you'd be really upside down in that piece of glass if you pay a shop to trim it. Me, I'd just slap the 80 grit paper on a circular grinder and go to work.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
rccarson (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 07:43 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Given that the vendor won't take care of you and you otherwise are facing the specter of buying another windshield, I'd say you've got nothing to lose by trying.

I think you'd be really upside down in that piece of glass if you pay a shop to trim it. Me, I'd just slap the 80 grit paper on a circular grinder and go to work.

Jim
Me too, just remember if it works don't get carried away and go to the other extreme.
The following users liked this post:
rccarson (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 11:12 PM
rccarson
Racer

I agree with you about being upside down on the cost. I'm willing to try so has anyone on the forum tried this?

Get notified of new replies

To help needed with 63 windshield install

Old 06-21-2016, 03:48 PM
db59
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I used to work as an Auto Glazier years ago specializing in custom glass for Street Rods, Classics, etc. This can be sanded at a shop that has one of the upright glass belt sanders. It would take 2 people to handle the glass but it can be done, I've done this many times myself. I don't think I would try it at home for that amount of glass removal (1/2 inch). It would take forever trying to do it by hand plus you need to keep it cool with water to sand it. I've done it with a grinder for very small amounts, say less than 1/8 inch but you need to be very careful not to get it too warm or it will crack, keeping damp rags along the edge helps. I would try to find someone in your area that does "old car" flat glass, they will have the equipment and knowledge to do this. It's a pain in the a$$ to sand it so you need to find someone who wants to do this. They probably will want you to mark it, just use some duct tape leaving the area to be removed exposed and have them sand off the exposed area. They probably won't guarantee it won't break but at this point what do you have to lose?

btw I see your in WA state, that's where I am I may be able to help you find someone to do this.

Last edited by db59; 06-21-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:49 PM
rccarson
Racer

Default Update

It has been a while but I finally purchased an Auto City Glass windshield and it fit perfect. Only 30 minutes and in. Auto City gets my business from now on. They had a windshield in stock, Date coded it correctly and shipped it to my door step in six days. Thank you Auto City Glass!
FWIW:
Since I contacted Pilkington's about my non fitting windshield that they would not repalace I noticed that they no longer have C-2 windshields available. WHAT A COINCIDENCE!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:44 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

It has been a while but I finally purchased an Auto City Glass windshield and it fit perfect. Only 30 minutes and in. Auto City gets my business from now on. They had a windshield in stock, Date coded it correctly and shipped it to my door step in six days. Thank you Auto City Glass!
FWIW:
Since I contacted Pilkington's about my non fitting windshield that they would not repalace I noticed that they no longer have C-2 windshields available. WHAT A COINCIDENCE!
Do you have experience in installing windshields? I'm going to need to do it in the next couple of months and I can't understand how the lower trim goes on FIRST. Make no sense...

Quick Reply: help needed with 63 windshield install