C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carter WCFB Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:55 PM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Carter WCFB Question

I know this is a Corvette forum, but seeing how quick and complete the answer to the last WCFB question popped up, I thought I'd ask here. I am rebuilding a Carter WCFB from a '54 Chrysler. All was going well until I got to the re-assembly stage, and of course, I have a part leftover. I have printed a couple of manuals off the internet (one of them over 70 pages), and I took about 40 pictures while taking it apart, and I still don't see where it goes. Any of you gurus out there have any idea? It is a brass washer-type thing and measures 1/2" on the outside diameter, while the hole in it appears to be 1/4". I have attached a couple of pictures. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Attached Images     
Old 04-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

That looks like a piece of the pump plunger ***'y....see red circle in picture. If you rebuilt the carb with a good kit you probably replaced the whole plunger and can toss this piece. A bit odd that it came off the plunger - I've never had one do that...

Might want to double check and make sure it didn't come off your NEW pump plunger!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-28-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:48 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Yep. Just had mine apart yesterday and that's what it looks like to me. Now, in mine, in the bottom of the pump well is a similar looking part, but it has a grille over the hole to prevent the check ball from coming out. This is at the bottom of the accelerator pump well. Good luck with your old Mopar! I had a '37 Imperial coupe and a '47 Windsor Highlander. Great old cars.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I hope you were careful in noting which screws came out of where in the lid - there are 18 screws of 3 different lengths - put a long one in a short hole and you'll strip the lid.

Hence my cardboard 'roadmap' in the picture above....to hold the screws. Or, you can print the attachment and glue it onto cardboard.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-28-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Carter WCFB Question

Quick Reply: Carter WCFB Question