C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Project LS-56 Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 03:00 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Project LS-56 Update

Well it has been a while since I posted and update on my 56 project. I have been working a little slower on this one then my 1960 and 1963 Split Window project because the CFO (the wife) said I needed to slow down once we bought her a new C7 I now have the green light to start spending again so you do not have to ask me twice!

We worked on the chassis over the winter and now that we have some warmer weather we finally laid some paint in it this week. We did this one in Torch Red just like our 1960 Pink Floyd project.

Don't laugh at my poor mans home style paint booth, it works

I am now trying to decide if I go with an old style LS1 computer or but the Holley harness and EFI system with a much smaller computer.

We are also waiting on the interior samples from Al Knock so we can get the Wise Guys seats and interior ordered.

We are doing the engine bay in the semi flat black next then we are spraying black Raptor Bed Liner on the underside of the car.

More updates soon!

Last edited by C1-Curt; 05-14-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:34 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a thing wrong with your paint booth, but your body protection scares me. isocyanates are not to be taken lightly. absorbed by skin, eyes, etc., not to mention lungs. a simple respirator will NOT filter out isos.

As to the ECM. if it's a stock, or near stock, LS1 then I'd sure recommend the GM ECM. if the engine will have many mods then the Holly will be more effective. I've used the Holly HP as well as the old 950 Commander, but I'll take a GM ECM 99% of the time.

Looking like an awesome project BTW

Russ
Old 05-14-2015, 03:44 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrPbody
As to the ECM. if it's a stock, or near stock, LS1 then I'd sure recommend the GM ECM. if the engine will have many mods then the Holly will be more effective. I've used the Holly HP as well as the old 950 Commander, but I'll take a GM ECM 99% of the time.

Looking like an awesome project BTW

Russ
I will only have a GM hot cam. The only reason I was thinking of the Holley is because the LS1 ECM is huge and I have limited real estate. Also I do not need the transmission control. I am trying to keep the firewall clean if I can and no huge holes to the drivers compartment
Old 05-14-2015, 04:05 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Very Cool car!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:11 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

It has been a busy week, lots of progress and lots of parts coming in.

We got the Raptor Bed Liner sprayed on the underside of the car and we shot the engine bay and the underside of the hood with the John Deer Blitz Black.

I ordered a complete Al Knock interior with red leather Wise Guys seat frames in 1960 color and pattern. I am also going with the 1960 salt and pepper red/black carpet. Now I have to wait 3 to 4 weeks.

I decided to go with the Vintage Air Front Runner system and a Vintage Air Compact A/C system so that got ordered.

I decided to go with the Holley HP EFI ECU & HARNESS KIT for the LS1 so that also got ordered.

The Specialty Power Window wiper system arrived.

I dropped off the speedometer and CAD file to get a new Plexiglas face and lettering created.

The whole body has been color sanded and is just about ready for buffing. I hate seeing it at this stage of the process, seeing the dull paint makes it look like you took a step back but at the end it will look great!

As you can see we like red Corvettes We have one more in the upper garage.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice to see it in color Curt, looking good!
Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Whats thew red 63?
Old 05-22-2015, 12:11 AM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by morly1963
Whats the red 63?
The red 63 is a car I added to our collection about 2 years ago. The funny thing is I was not looking for a mid year when the car found me. A friend owned it for 34 years and was ready to part with it a year before I decided to take on another project. I was in the middle of my 1960 build and was just not ready for another project. So after a year of thinking about it and some negotiating we finally made a deal. It took us about 4 months to bring it back to an awesome looking car again.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:08 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C1-Curt
The red 63 is a car I added to our collection about 2 years ago. The funny thing is I was not looking for a mid year when the car found me. A friend owned it for 34 years and was ready to part with it a year before I decided to take on another project. I was in the middle of my 1960 build and was just not ready for another project. So after a year of thinking about it and some negotiating we finally made a deal. It took us about 4 months to bring it back to an awesome looking car again.

Nice looking car-thanks for posting the pics!
Old 06-01-2015, 10:53 AM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Christmas arrives early The UPS driver is starting to think he is deliver 2 cars.

The Vintage Air Front Runner system, Compact A/C, Speedway wiring harness and the Holley HP EFI computer and harness arrived. last week.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:08 AM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

I finally got the Vintage Air front runner installed. I started by removing all of the old parts then I saw the timing chain cover needed to be repainted so I took it off an repainted it.

The trouble started when I tried to re-install the cover, I found I was missing an alignment tool to re-install the cover so I ordered the tool and it arrive on Saturday so I was able to complete the install.

The next issue I ran into is I am using hot rod motor mounts and the the engine was siting so low in the cradle I could not use the built in reservoir. I am going to have to buy a press in fitting for the pump and figure out what kind of remote reservoir will look right.

The next challenge was the power steering pulley was actually hitting my power rack and the set screw on the DD joint was hitting the other side of the pulley. We ended up making some 1/2 spacers and raised the engine 1/2 inch and now the pulley clears fine. I was getting really scared that I just blew $2500 on parts I could not use

Old 06-06-2015, 09:59 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Tomorrow is a big progress day, we are all ready to set the painted body on the chassis tomorrow morning at 9:00 am. It will start looking more like a car again tomorrow.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:21 AM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Well not the outcome I had hoped for but the fix is well under way. We got the crew over, doughnuts & coffee and got the body set on the car just to find that the passenger side head almost rubs the firewall. Since my last test fit I raised the engine 1/2 inch so it appears that created an issue.

I totally missed the passenger side head of an LS1 is closer to the firewall then the drivers side so off came the body again for some fun with fiberglass

I taped off the section that needed to be modified then I roughed in a small relief pocket, now I need just a little more finish work and paint before the body goes back on again.

Last edited by C1-Curt; 06-08-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:59 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C1-Curt
Well not the outcome I had hoped for but the fix is well under way. We got the crew over, doughnuts & coffee and got the body set on the car just to find that the passenger side head almost rubs the firewall. Since my last test fit I raised the engine 1/2 inch so it appears that created an issue.

I totally missed the passenger side head of an LS1 is closer to the firewall then the drivers side so off came the body again for some fun with fiberglass

I taped off the section that needed to be modified then I roughed in a small relief pocket, now I need just a little more finish work and paint before the body goes back on again.

Going to be a cool car when your done!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:53 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

OK, after a little fiberglass work and some paint we now have a relief pocket in the firewall and the body is ready for another shot at installation.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Beggers
Pro

Good progress Curt, I enjoyed the video, nice to see you make it a fun event for all involved. Not too much longer and we will be able to watch the " fire up" movie! Brian
Old 06-13-2015, 12:04 AM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Well, we had a a bunch of friends over for a garage party tonight to take a 2nd attempt at dropping the body on the chassis and it worked out a hole lot better this time.

The relief pocket I built worked out great, plenty of room for the head now

The video's are quite entertaining

Get notified of new replies

To Project LS-56 Update

Old 06-13-2015, 08:53 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

That's what it's all about friends helping friends and having fun doing it.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Beggers
Pro

Nice work Curt, great to have friends and family involved! Brian
Old 06-14-2015, 11:00 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Made a little progress today, got the body all bolted down and shimmed, got the doors on and aligned, got the instruments all installed, installed some of the bumpers then the side flags and fuel injection letters.

Next I need to install the new wiper system, I have not been looking forward to that

Quick Reply: Project LS-56 Update