C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hood is On ..Head light Bucket Out Of Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:19 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default Hood is On ..Head light Bucket Out Of Adjustment

My 65 Corvette has the Detroit Speed Head lamp Motor kit installed. lt was fine when the vette came back from the body shop last year. Both buckets were flush when closed and the New DS Motors were installed as of last year.

Today I noticed the driver side bucket is slightly higher at the rear towards the body about 1/8 to 1/4 "when closed. They were fine last year and operated ok.

The AIM talks about adjusting the Buckets with the bolts on the "Y" arm. One for open ...one for closed.... OK...I get it.

The problem is.. with the hood on.. and using a mirror,I know where the bolts are and can feel the one I have to adjust. Problem is ...How do I get in there to do the deed.

Did a search here but could not find any info about adjusting while the hood is on.

One thought I had was to remove the front licence plate bar and unbolt the grill and slide it out on the bumper arms and see if I can get up underneath to reach the bolt and remove the play from the bucket as it moves up and down due to being out of adjustment.

Any thoughts on this or ..has anyone done this with the hood on?

Thanks In advance..
Old 05-23-2015, 12:41 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
My 65 Corvette has the Detroit Speed Head lamp Motor kit installed. lt was fine when the vette came back from the body shop last year. Both buckets were flush when closed and the New DS Motors were installed as of last year.

Today I noticed the driver side bucket is slightly higher at the rear towards the body about 1/8 to 1/4 "when closed. They were fine last year and operated ok.

The AIM talks about adjusting the Buckets with the bolts on the "Y" arm. One for open ...one for closed.... OK...I get it.

The problem is.. with the hood on.. and using a mirror,I know where the bolts are and can feel the one I have to adjust. Problem is ...How do I get in there to do the deed.

Did a search here but could not find any info about adjusting while the hood is on.

One thought I had was to remove the front licence plate bar and unbolt the grill and slide it out on the bumper arms and see if I can get up underneath to reach the bolt and remove the play from the bucket as it moves up and down due to being out of adjustment.

Any thoughts on this or ..has anyone done this with the hood on?

Thanks In advance..

Ok ..while searching again I tried "Google" which brought up this CF Post from last year... See Post #16

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-y-stops.html

I will try this tomorrow.. If anyone would like to add to this post please feel free.

Thanks for reading...
Old 05-23-2015, 02:42 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

You can do it with the hood on (if your arms are small enough and good flexibility). Prop the hood open as far as it will go (it'll give you another inch to work, and get a small mirror to lay on some of the bracing inside to get a look at the area - a small makeup mirror works well since you can use the hinged case to angle the small mirror too. Once you get a look and feel (working backwards looking in the mirror) for the area it's fairly easy to adjust the "Y"s. I had to replace one of mine last year, since the pot metal split, and was able to do it with the hood on. Good luck!!
Old 05-23-2015, 07:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you have the older Detroit Speed conversion it is "clutched"; meaning if somebody leaned on or pushed the headlight bucket it will move and stay moved. I assume you've cycled the lights a time or two to make sure they "cage" properly in the opening before you tear into things !

Sometimes it takes disconnecting the "+" battery terminal and reconnecting it so the system recalibrates itself to the right position. You'll see the buckets 'pop' up about an inch and reset.

If you prop the hood open PAST the prop rod stop; then secure if fully open with rope or an extra prop or something. You don't want it trying to shut while you have both arms down in front of it. Your forearms will get trapped and you won't be able to self-rescue.

You won't be able to defend yourself with your rear end up in the air and if your hollering attracts the wrong kind of person -- well, things could turn out like a "B"-rated prison movie...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-23-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
You can do it with the hood on (if your arms are small enough and good flexibility). Prop the hood open as far as it will go (it'll give you another inch to work, and get a small mirror to lay on some of the bracing inside to get a look at the area - a small makeup mirror works well since you can use the hinged case to angle the small mirror too. Once you get a look and feel (working backwards looking in the mirror) for the area it's fairly easy to adjust the "Y"s. I had to replace one of mine last year, since the pot metal split, and was able to do it with the hood on. Good luck!!
Thanks Sonny,,

I can get to the open adjuster but the Closed adjuster on the other end is a Pain. I've worked on the underside of the front before and have Collection Of mirror's and different type lights so I can see. it takes a Few sec's to orient yourself working backwards...

To day I went in and it's just a to much of a hassle to try and get to that 7/16" bolt head even pushing the bucket back and forth to set the correct angle.

Came up with a different plan....Had some 1/8" thick rubber squares in my junk collection of nuts and bolts...you know...we all have one of those boxes with stupid stuff we saved.

Anyway.. I cut a small square out the size of the stop the bolt had slams on and coated it with Weather Strip Adhesive and managed to stick it on the bumper stop.

Bam!...Problem solved ...it was just the right thickness and the bucket is now flush with the body.

I didn't want to make this a Major project for that 1/8 " of rise in the rear of the bucket ..so I just did the "Bubba" Fix..L.O.L. I know if I would have continued screwing around under there eventually I would have morphed this into either Paint damage or ended up pulling stuff of the vette to get to that POS adjuster. I did drape the hood and nose with towels to protect the paint but ..1/8" ain't worth it.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you have the older Detroit Speed conversion it is "clutched"; meaning if somebody leaned on or pushed the headlight bucket it will move and stay moved. I assume you've cycled the lights a time or two to make sure they "cage" properly in the opening before you tear into things !

Sometimes it takes disconnecting the "+" battery terminal and reconnecting it so the system recalibrates itself to the right position. You'll see the buckets 'pop' up about an inch and reset.

If you prop the hood open PAST the prop rod stop; then secure if fully open with rope or an extra prop or something. You don't want it trying to shut while you have both arms down in front of it. Your forearms will get trapped and you won't be able to self-rescue.

You won't be able to defend yourself with your rear end up in the air and if your hollering attracts the wrong kind of person -- well, things could turn out like a "B"-rated prison movie...
Thanks Frankie,

I have a Battery disconnect switch (Latching Relay) that power's down and powers up so every time I disconnect and reconnect the motor's cycle. So I know they are at the set point.

Something changed by 1/8 " causing this problem. Any way thanks for the advice. The post above tells how I solved the Problem Via Bubba's method. L.O.L.

Years from now after I'm gone and the new owner has my car and every works on the headlight Motors he'll see my fix and say...That guy did a Bubba Fix.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:16 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
Years from now after I'm gone and the new owner has my car and every works on the headlight Motors he'll see my fix and say...That guy did a Bubba Fix.
Mark, you're my kinda' guy!

Old 05-24-2015, 12:24 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by MikeM
Mark, you're my kinda' guy!

Your my Hero.... I learned all I know about Bubba Fix's from you....
Old 05-24-2015, 07:39 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Glad you get her in place with a simple fix! Those bolts are a real pain to get at!! Bubba fixes are all over my car...some old and some new!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
Glad you get her in place with a simple fix! Those bolts are a real pain to get at!! Bubba fixes are all over my car...some old and some new!

Thanks Sonny... The bucket open stop bolt can be gotten to fairly easy...the closed one......Eeeeeeeeeeeeeh!! I have my share of Bubba..Fix's too...L.O.L.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:33 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I noticed your Forum name and it brought back a memory. I sold my black over white 65 Corvette convertible when I received orders for Vietnam. While on perimeter guard at Long Binh US Army base I was surprised to see a silver 63 coupe motor on by. It was driving on a blacktop road that went from Saigon to Vung Tau.
It was weird to see that because the only American car I had ever seen over there was a Mustang and some Army Chevy sedans.
I was assigned to USARV Headquarters at Long Binh which was a pretty good gig seeing as how I was an 11B10 (Infantry).
There was a transportation company there on the base who drove air conditioned Chevy 4 door sedans to transport the brass and VIPS. Some of them were equipped with 283 engines that had been hopped up by the motor pool mechanics and the drivers. There was a chrome shop in Saigon and the GIs would get their wheels chromed along with engine parts. Some of their cars looked great!
The drivers of these cars would also date some of the civilian and WAC ladies that worked on the base too. It was a huge place and they knew some private places to park!
Old 05-25-2015, 11:27 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
I noticed your Forum name and it brought back a memory. I sold my black over white 65 Corvette convertible when I received orders for Vietnam. While on perimeter guard at Long Binh US Army base I was surprised to see a silver 63 coupe motor on by. It was driving on a blacktop road that went from Saigon to Vung Tau.
It was weird to see that because the only American car I had ever seen over there was a Mustang and some Army Chevy sedans.
I was assigned to USARV Headquarters at Long Binh which was a pretty good gig seeing as how I was an 11B10 (Infantry).
There was a transportation company there on the base who drove air conditioned Chevy 4 door sedans to transport the brass and VIPS. Some of them were equipped with 283 engines that had been hopped up by the motor pool mechanics and the drivers. There was a chrome shop in Saigon and the GIs would get their wheels chromed along with engine parts. Some of their cars looked great!
The drivers of these cars would also date some of the civilian and WAC ladies that worked on the base too. It was a huge place and they knew some private places to park!
Weird...we arrived in Long Binh in 1965...Their was nothing there. It was unsecured at the time. Took mortar and small arms at night. Finally finished the base camp and was sent out with my contact truck to repair Infantry Heavy Equipment...Truck mounted cranes and Jungle crushing bulldozers ..

Ended up "TDY" with the 173rd Airborne in Tay Ninh on their Fire base supporting their stuff .. I was 62b30H ..but might as well bin 11-brovo

Wrench in one hand M79 in the other and a M14A1(Heavy Sucker) over the shoulder full auto. Plus all the ammo weight... Never had to worry about gaining weight..L.O.L.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Viet Nam Vett; 05-25-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood is On ..Head light Bucket Out Of Adjustment

Quick Reply: Hood is On ..Head light Bucket Out Of Adjustment