C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help...Turn Signals work but No Brake Lights??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:23 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Need help...'67 Turn Signals work but No Brake Lights??

Yesterday, I realized I have an electrical issue:

Indications:
1. Brake Lights don't work.
2. Hazards (won't blink...only come on steady)
3. Volt gauge is pegged far left?
4. Turn signals work fine.
5. There is power to the brake pedal switch.

All fuses are good (none blown). My clock went out a while ago and the wipers have never worked...therefore, all other electrical systems are working nominally.

After reading other posts, I suspect the turn signal switch has gone bad?

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Frank

Last edited by Crunch527; 06-30-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep that is the first thing I would look at. 75 bucks and a couple of hours to install. Be very careful putting it in. I had all of mine put together and my signal light would not work. Had to get the wheel puller out again and move a little clip to get them to come on. test it out before putting the wheel and horn button back on.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:47 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

I'll assume you're working on a 67. Try this first: With the key OFF and the brake pedal depressed, wiggle the turn signal between left/right/off and see if the brake lights come on or flicker. Post back what you find.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I'll assume you're working on a 67. Try this first: With the key OFF and the brake pedal depressed, wiggle the turn signal between left/right/off and see if the brake lights come on or flicker. Post back what you find.
Yes, 67...should have clarified that at the outset.

mspry - good advice, thanks.

65GGvert - I think I read that on another post and did that last night and nothing.

I have been through the grounds and I keep coming back to the turn signal switch.

Forgot to mention my horns don't work either...

I didn't realize how much goes through that switch...
Old 06-29-2015, 08:57 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
Yes, 67...should have clarified that at the outset.

mspry - good advice, thanks.

65GGvert - I think I read that on another post and did that last night and nothing.

I have been through the grounds and I keep coming back to the turn signal switch.

Forgot to mention my horns don't work either...

I didn't realize how much goes through that switch...
The horns don't go through the turn signal switch. The black wire that connects to the horn button is in the wire bundle and attaches at the switch, but doesn't pass through it electrically in any way. There is also no ground in the column for the brake lights or turn signals. The first thing I'd do if I had your issue is measure for 12v on the input (and output -with the brake pressed). The white wire coming off the brake switch feeds up to the turn signal and with the turn signal in the center should feed the 12v directly through the rear body connector to the lamps. Startwith the brake switch and go the other way. It only takes 12v and a ground to light the bulbs. The ground has to be good or you wouldn't get turn signals. Same wires, same bulbs, same filament, same ground. The problem has to be between the turn signal and the source, which comes out of the fuse box and directly to the brake switch.

EDIT: Just remembered, you said hazards come on steady. Maybe someone with knowledge of the hazard circuit could help. Maybe if the hazard flasher goes bad, the brake lights won't work. Just guessing, never had a problem with hazard or brake lights on a 67.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 06-29-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Best guess without being there is the turn signal switch or the connection between the front harness and the rear harness... Both are suspect and can be the problem. I have an extra rear harness and tail lights that I use for trouble shooting. 30% of the time it's the harness..... 70% of the time it's the turn signal switch...

Hitch
Old 06-30-2015, 06:11 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

All the wiring harnesses are new, however, the turn signal switch is original.

Everything used to work fine. (except horns, wipers and clock)

Brake pedal switch Function Check:
I have 12v at the brake pedal switch on incoming Orange wire and when the pedal is depressed I have 12v on the outgoing White wire.

I know my turn signal flasher is over behind the glove box...then this must be the hazard flasher (yellow)? Sorry for the orientation.

Frank
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2015, 10:15 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 176 Posts

If you do end up buying a new turn signal switch, get a good one. It takes just as long to install the import model and they last about a month or so. It is in the plastic itself. The cheaper types are just too flexible and that leads to problems. I changed the one in my 67 telescopic wheel twice before I was able to find a quality replacement.

Good Luck,

Doc
Old 06-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by watson
If you do end up buying a new turn signal switch, get a good one. It takes just as long to install the import model and they last about a month or so. It is in the plastic itself. The cheaper types are just too flexible and that leads to problems. I changed the one in my 67 telescopic wheel twice before I was able to find a quality replacement.

Good Luck,

Doc
And that goes for C1s and C2s. Some repros are pretty lame.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

I ordered the one from Zip...was the only one they have...

I guess I will find out.

Thanks,

Frank
Old 07-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Default Update...

I installed a new turn signal switch last night.

Brake lights work now.

Emergency Hazard flasher needs to be replaced as well.

I somehow gooned up the brake pedal switch, so that needs replacing. It pulled apart when I popped the plug off and I've put it back together but the contacts and the plunger aren't working together, so my brake lights stay on.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Its just another parts order...more money...more shipping charges...

I love this car and I HATE THIS CAR...money pit.

Happy 4th!

Frank
Old 07-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

It's just part of the journey... At least with ZIP in your back yard the shipping should be small or even if you are buying from LIC either or should have the parts to you within a day...

Hitch

Get notified of new replies

To Need help...Turn Signals work but No Brake Lights??

Quick Reply: Need help...Turn Signals work but No Brake Lights??