C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vintage Air - couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:22 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Vintage Air - couple of questions

Does the VA kit come with brackets that mounts the compressor on either the left or right side? . . I thought I remember seeing some pics that showed a left side compressor mounting.

Moving the alternator over to the left side: Is this the preferred set up - left side alternator, right side compressor?. . .

John
Old 06-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you mount the compressor on the DS you'll have a whole host of new logistical problems routing the hoses...you will have to cross the engine bay at some point to get them over to the VERY far PS of the engine bay to guide them through the car's vent into the evaporator. I wouldn't try it... You want the alternator on DS and compressor on PS...
Old 06-29-2015, 08:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
Does the VA kit come with brackets that mounts the compressor on either the left or right side? . . I thought I remember seeing some pics that showed a left side compressor mounting.

Moving the alternator over to the left side: Is this the preferred set up - left side alternator, right side compressor?. . .

John
The factory A/C setup always used the alternator on the driver's side and the compressor on the passenger side, and the factory exhaust manifolds and compressor and alternator brackets were designed that way. Can't imagine anyone wanting to go through more grief and custom mounting bracket fabrication to set it all up backwards.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Frankie and John ..

I was wondering about some installations that showed the compressor mounted on the left side. No need to make things harder than need be, I agree.
Looks like Paragon has the necessary left side alternator brackets and the relocation wire harness to accommodate the changeover. That's the way I'll go - compressor on right side.
Thanks.

John
Old 06-30-2015, 06:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The VA kit COMES WITH THE BRACKETS FOR DS ALTERNATOR MOUNTING.
You don't need to buy them...
Old 06-30-2015, 02:30 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The VA kit COMES WITH THE BRACKETS FOR DS ALTERNATOR MOUNTING.
You don't need to buy them...
Frankie ..
Interesting. .. I inquired about the left side alternator brackets when I made the VA purchase. The vendor made mention that a left side bracket would be needed.

A followup email was also sent:

Jun 29 at 2:21 PM

John,

Please see Vintage Air email below. If you need the alternator bracket from them we will sell it to you at our cost. Please advise..

Larry “Hooper”

MOBILE: 434-485-1050

classic_rods_BlackTextFlattened

Hi Larry,

On this kit the compressor has to go on the passenger side.

So if his alternator is there we will have to sell him an alternator bracket #148100 at $105.00 your cost $91.00.

Or he can find his own bracket if he would prefer.

Let me know.

Thank you.

George

George Packard

Vintage Air, Inc.

National Sales Manager

I think I'll wait until the VA kit arrives here at the house to see what's in the box. Thanks for the heads up.

John
Old 06-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Been a while so maybe I ordered the alt brackets as a kit option. It was a group buy with several buddies so I got whatever the group settled on.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air - couple of questions

Quick Reply: Vintage Air - couple of questions