C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Your thoughts on this engine pad stamping

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:36 PM
HS Vette
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Your thoughts on this engine pad stamping

The seller states the following about it, I've never heard of this anyone else ?

"I remember that before I bought the car, I took many pictures of the stamps and castings and I was particularly focused on the engine stamp pad. The stamp was the original and had never been decked or smoothed and restamped. There is however an additional stamp on the Engine Stamp Pad that says "performance clinic" -- which an NCRS judge explained to me was an engine shop that did factory warranty work on Corvettes in the '60's thru '80's. I am 100% confident that this is the original motor that came with this car."

Old 07-30-2015, 03:45 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by HS Vette
The seller states the following about it, I've never heard of this anyone else ?

"I remember that before I bought the car, I took many pictures of the stamps and castings and I was particularly focused on the engine stamp pad. The stamp was the original and had never been decked or smoothed and restamped. There is however an additional stamp on the Engine Stamp Pad that says "performance clinic" -- which an NCRS judge explained to me was an engine shop that did factory warranty work on Corvettes in the '60's thru '80's. I am 100% confident that this is the original motor that came with this car."

The "Performance Clinic" story is hogwash, from someone's "Little Golden Book Of Flaky Fables". What year is the car? I can't see the 1st digit in the VIN derivative.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 PM
HS Vette
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The "Performance Clinic" story is hogwash, from someone's "Little Golden Book Of Flaky Fables". What year is the car? I can't see the 1st digit in the VIN derivative.
Here is the link to the car

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-L-76-/181818614499?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a553be2e3&item=181818614499
Old 07-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

JohnZ:

The car is a 1965.

Is it possible the California Chevrolet Dealership farmed out some of its (warranty) work to a nearby engine rebuilder. Maybe that is what happened here.

Somewhere along the line the engine had some work done by an outside shop. It may or may not have had any ties to Chevrolet.

Larry
Old 07-30-2015, 04:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HS Vette
Engine was rebuilt at some point by the "Performance Clinic", who couldn't resist advertising on the stamp pad; will get a minor deduction for that in judging (if it's ever judged).
Old 07-30-2015, 04:03 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

The engine in my '61 has the previous owner's name stamped right on top of the engine code in large font capital letters. Also has his name stamped with the same stamp on each clinder head. I think he was worried about it getting stolen. My engine is not the original anyway, so I don't really care. But people did this stuff, and still do, probably. Not everyone was/is concerned with stamp pad numbers....especially back in the day. I had a vintage VW that had RIMCO stamped on the case by the serial number pad....it was a well known LA VW builder in the '70's...and maybe still is, I don't know.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:24 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The quote from the seller and the story don't make sense. Ad says it is a California car, CA plates, etc. I did a quick Google, and the only "Performance Clinic" that shows up is located in Dayton, OH. According to their website, they started business in 1976. No mention of being a manufacturer "warranty" shop. Now, it is possible that the engine was sent from California to Ohio for a rebuild at some point, but why would you do that?? Just asking. Or maybe there was another shop with that name, but no mention of them that I could find. Makes you wonder.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:28 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
The quote from the seller and the story don't make sense. Ad says it is a California car, CA plates, etc. I did a quick Google, and the only "Performance Clinic" that shows up is located in Dayton, OH. According to their website, they started business in 1976. No mention of being a manufacturer "warranty" shop. Now, it is possible that the engine was sent from California to Ohio for a rebuild at some point, but why would you do that?? Just asking. Or maybe there was another shop with that name, but no mention of them that I could find. Makes you wonder.
There may be more than one Performance Clinic. But who knows what has happened in the 50 years this car has been on the street.

Larry
Old 07-30-2015, 04:38 PM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Is it me, or does one H look wider than the other on the suffix. Also the zeros look different.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:42 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ditchdigger650
Is it me, or does one H look wider than the other on the suffix. Also the zeros look different.
Very common - happened every day; stamp dies came from seven different suppliers, and were mixed in bins. Nobody paid any attention at all to differences in fonts.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:01 PM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Very common - happened every day; stamp dies came from seven different suppliers, and were mixed in bins. Nobody paid any attention at all to differences in fonts.
Thanks John, good to know.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:04 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

It always makes me smile to myself when the claim is "repaired a small dent" in the fender as this guy states. I have also seen many claim "no dents or rust on the body". I have owned 17 Corvettes and have never "dented" one. I guess I didn't ever have one of those rare aluminum bodied ones.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:36 PM
396/425
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I just spit bud light in my lap...a voice of reason. My dad has friends and i have customers who worked in the plant (were from STL). There were standards but for crying out loud, it was crude. Hand built. No computers. Tools thrown everywhere. It was hot. People filled in for others spur of moment. $hit happened. They used bolts from one thing to do another in a pinch. Anybody who thinks these cars all went out the back door just the NCRS book tells you is out of their minds. The stories ive been told. Anything is possible. ANYTHING. Ive been to that plant as a kid. I remember it was crude as heck. They grabbed whatever was there to keep the cars rolling. Including stamping tools. They werent worried about you getting an award 50 years later. Good grief some of this crap just blows my mind.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 396/425
I just spit bud light in my lap...a voice of reason. My dad has friends and i have customers who worked in the plant (were from STL).
I was a Production Engineer there in 1967.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:46 PM
396/425
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I was a Production Engineer there in 1967.
Ok then you know....it was crude. Even more so than the passenger car plant there. It was basically a hot rod shop in back of the plant. People have no idea. The crap that went on in there was unbelievable. These old birds I know have no reason to lie that sweated in that hell hole. It was rough blue collar union. 2-3 car per hour came thru there if i remember right. It was a very small area of that complex. Like i said. A corporate hot rod shop.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:50 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Amazing, the stories people make up to explain wonky pad stampings.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:21 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

"Performance Clinic" was the super secret Chevrolet engine shop where certain engines were give extra special attention.

This was typically done for press release cars, executive cars, etc. and was not intended to be for engines that were sold to the general public.

These engines were specially balanced and blueprinted, and the parts selected had just a bit more "umpf". Not detectible to the naked eye, but could be measured if the engine was disassembled. Things like ever so slightly more compression for the pistons, ever so slightly more lift for the camshaft, special coatings for friction reduction.

They didn't usually "advertise", so finding one actually marked that way is pretty rare.

Think of if like the Lockheed Skunk Works. You know something really cool is going on behind the closed doors, but they can't tell you want it is.

Get notified of new replies

To Your thoughts on this engine pad stamping

Old 07-31-2015, 10:48 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

emccomas, thanks for making my morning. Excellent!!! LOL
Old 07-31-2015, 11:02 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I think we need to have a match between JohnZ and emccomas. Ladies and gentlemen, in the left corner.... Dennis
Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas;1590170399[LIST
[*]]"Performance Clinic" was the super secret Chevrolet engine shop where certain engines were give extra special attention.
[*]This was typically done for press release cars, executive cars, etc. and was not intended to be for engines that were sold to the general public.
[*]These engines were specially balanced and blueprinted, and the parts selected had just a bit more "umpf". Not detectible to the naked eye, but could be measured if the engine was disassembled. Things like ever so slightly more compression for the pistons, ever so slightly more lift for the camshaft, special coatings for friction reduction.
[*]They didn't usually "advertise", so finding one actually marked that way[/LIST]is pretty rare.

Think of if like the Lockheed Skunk Works. You know something really cool is going on behind the closed doors, but they can't tell you want it is.

Makes sense to me - we know Pontiac did it all the time for their press cars, right? IIRC it was Jim Wagners who was in charge of that program?

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on this engine pad stamping