C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Long Trip in a C1

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:45 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

We drove Rt.66 in our 62 last summer. We also took a lot of side trips and toured Utah, Co., WY, SD, MN WI. etc on the way back to VA. We spent 7 week and had a ball. We have taken many other 1000+ mile trips and find that the 62 is very comfortable. We have even taken several trips VA to WI, 1050 miles, only stopping for gas.
Leave the hard top at home, driving topless adds greatly to the fun. Take some blue painters tape to run across the soft top front header and the trunk gaps if they happen to be leakers. We were in a 3 day down pour in MO. and never got any water in the car. The tape pulls off without leaving any residue.
I have cruise and it's by far the best upgrade I have put on the car, for long trips it's a must have. I have AC but never used it for the entire trip. When it got real hot, I put up the soft top and opened the cowl vent and was quite comfortable. I do have some 1/4", foil both sides, fiberglass insulation that i put between the soft top and the frame, the insulation also tucks into the flaps on the sides. The insulation stops a lot of heat from entering through the top. the insulation also folds with the top and doesn't seem to take up any extra space.
What ever you do Have a Great Time. You will meet a lot of great people who would have ignored you if you weren't in an old car.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven my 61 round trip from Houston to Bowling Green THREE times in recent years, about 1800 mi with one stop in Memphis or Little Rock.

Back in the day 1970 I drove it between Cherry Point SC and El Toro CA non-stop except for gas. But, I was bullet proof and invisible as well as stupid.

Joe

few tools, tape, etc. for a leak. I carry a spoil of SS aircraft safety wire to secure a lost fastener or such...just can't get baling wire these days.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:32 PM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Make sure your classic car insurance is up to snuff and if they offer any 'trip delay' coverage if something should happen.
Frankie brings up a good point re your insurance. I have AAA roadside assistance and they offer an optional 200 mile towing radius. Could get you back to a major city for repairs instead of nearest gas station. If it's 100* in Kingman let them change the flat tire

Randy
Old 08-01-2015, 11:55 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

wmf62 did a 10,000 mile journey in his '62 with a gal on board too.

Its been done. I've done a 3 hour stint in my stock '61....prob 2/3 of your projected daily driving distance. The only thing I sorta missed was cruise control and A/C; driving/riding were just fine. I did have to take my wallet out of my left rear pocket to keep my hip from aching.

That was about it....you'll do fine...

One problem with these cars is, if you have the trunk packed for a long trip, and you have a flat, getting to the spare tire is a PITA. Carry some Fix-A-Flat and a folded up blue tarp in case you have to unload the trunk alongside a road somewhere. Fire extinguisher is a must but don't get too obsessed with a bunch of spare parts and tools.

You'll drive yourself nuts trying to decide when 'enough is enough'.

Make sure your classic car insurance is up to snuff and if they offer any 'trip delay' coverage if something should happen. Take proper anti-theft precautions and that's about it.
Can you explain the "trip delay" coverage, not familiar with that?
Old 08-02-2015, 01:12 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
Wow, you guys are truly an inspiration! Can't wait to go. We've been planning this for two years and working on the car to get it ready. I've replaced all the weatherstripping and will install new weatherstripping on the hardtop. Cruise control sounds like a great idea, I use it all the time in my truck. Can anyone recommend a good one? Where does the control mount?
Norm,
I tried to reply to your PM, but your box is full.
Maybe this will cover it.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588638636
Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
Can you explain the "trip delay" coverage, not familiar with that?
Trip delay or 'interruption' coverage will pay you a certain amount, per day, if you are held up on your trip up to a maximum amount.

AAA Premium has it and my NCM classic insurance has it. Could pay for a hotel room while car is being repaired, a rental vehicle to get around temporarily, etc.. If you are on a tight travel budget, and footing car repair bills to boot, it can certainly help...
Old 08-02-2015, 03:19 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Trip delay or 'interruption' coverage will pay you a certain amount, per day, if you are held up on your trip up to a maximum amount.

AAA Premium has it and my NCM classic insurance has it. Could pay for a hotel room while car is being repaired, a rental vehicle to get around temporarily, etc.. If you are on a tight travel budget, and footing car repair bills to boot, it can certainly help...
Yes, something I hadn't considered. Need to check my policy.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 01:37 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 677 Likes on 413 Posts

You'll have an awesome trip!! You may have times of hot discomfort, but in the end you'll have memories that you'll ALWAYS remember!! Many of our best memories are from our longest road trips!

We always keep AAA up to date just in case we need it...So far we've never had to make the call!!

I'm super envious of your trip with other cars and friends...Route 66 is awesome!!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:52 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Another thing that has us worried is security. It's been talked about here before and I know most will say have good insurance and don't worry about it, but...
I always imagine the worst in any given situation, so I guess my question is, has anyone who has taken this trip experience a theft of any kind, or know firsthand of anyone who has? This route is a magnet for classic cars so I can imagine all kinds of things, but there may be nothing to it.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:15 PM
SecondGeneration
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made a trip from Albany NY to Columbia MO in 3 days about a month ago. Just under 1200 miles. My 30-year old distributor died about halfway through, even though I just had the points replaced... unlucky I guess. My AAA-plus membership and a good mechanic were able to get a working distributor on there, and it only set me back half a day. If your wipers are anything like mine you may want to think about some rain-x for your windshield. That and maybe a CC or Zip catalog in case some less-replaceable part blows out on you, away from an internet connection.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Geoff of NV
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Reno and last month I flew down to Albuquerque to buy my long desired 59 and drove it home. Security worried me too so every night I pulled the coil wire. Not exactly an epic journey but oh my, what fun.
Eating with friends,
Geoff

Quick Reply: Long Trip in a C1