C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Leaking lower hose at water pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:04 AM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Leaking lower hose at water pump issue

I just replaced all rubber hoses with new repros, and installed a correctly dated and rebuilt water pump. There is a minor leak that I can't stop coming from the end of the lower radiator hose connection to the water pump. A repro hose clamp (shown in pic) was crap and I replaced it with a very heavy duty clamp from NAPA. Still leaks, even when I added a second screw type hose clamp! I had the same problem with the upper hose to the thermostat repro clamp, and replaced it with original Witeck clamps that I had. That solved that.

The new radiator hose fit very tight onto the water pump outlet. But do these old water pumps tend to have a rough surface and too many pits (painted over) to form a tight seal against the inner hose surface? In the past, I would use gasket cement to help seal the hose connections. I didn't this time though. The temp gauge also shows it running slightly hotter than I normally run (@200* instead of @180*). Could it be a bad rebuild causing the pump to not flow adequately, thereby raising my engine temp and causing back pressure to leak out of the hose?

1966 427/390 water pump hose leak, past hose clamp
Old 08-17-2015, 03:14 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Are you sure the weep hole on the water pump is not trickling down and coalescing around the hose? Had this fool me once on a Chevy pickup.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:49 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Check that weep hole but I've not been beyond slathering some Permatex around those pitted water pump/thermostat connections to help seal the hose to the nipple...
Old 08-17-2015, 10:57 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

At the risk of asking the obvious - It's hard to tell from the picture, but are you sure that the hose is long enough and thus is fully seated (all the way up) on the pump outlet, and that the clamp is then seated above the "nub" on the outlet?

I have seen cases where the clamp was installed on top of the nub, making it impossible to get a good seal.

I agree that some sealant - use a silicone base, it's easier to remove later - is a good idea in any case.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

I'll check the weep hole. But in that case, it would be a bad rebuild, wouldn't it?

The hose is seated up as far as it will go. And the clamp is screwed down just past the nipple. I also added a second hose clamp to the hose, right on top of the nipple area, I'm amazed that anything can get by there. I guess the next step is to coat the water pump outlet with gasket cement and hope for the best.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:29 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

I would use dielectric grease or just some chassis grease, and coat the lining of the hose where it would interface on the pump. That would stop a leak long enough to isolate it to that area before you slather it with silicone.

Twist a piece of paper towel or toilet paper into a point and shove it in the weep hole and see if it gets wet.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:33 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by ghostrider20
Twist a piece of paper towel or toilet paper into a point and shove it in the weep hole and see if it gets wet.
That whole sentence is just soooo wrong on soooo many levels

But yes, the OPs water pump certainly wouldn't be the first rebuild to have been done poorly.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:02 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That whole sentence is just soooo wrong on soooo many levels

But yes, the OPs water pump certainly wouldn't be the first rebuild to have been done poorly.

I was thinking dental mirror, but not much room in there with the engine running!
Old 08-18-2015, 10:37 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

No chassis grease on the water pump outlets, please! (Petroleum rots rubber). What as worked for me very well over the years with rough castings or corroded radiator/water pump outlets is old fashioned Permatex. It'll fill in the voids and set up. Worked great on the 1912 radiator I'm running in my Model T.....
Old 08-18-2015, 11:29 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Do what the factory did........put in a little Stop Leak for aluminum radiators. I had a problem with a very small leak on the bypass elbow on my water pump. I added about 1/4 of a can, and it stopped the leak. That was 8 years ago, and still no leak. Worth a try.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:39 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by big block ken
I just replaced all rubber hoses with new repros, and installed a correctly dated and rebuilt water pump. There is a minor leak that I can't stop coming from the end of the lower radiator hose connection to the water pump. A repro hose clamp (shown in pic) was crap and I replaced it with a very heavy duty clamp from NAPA. Still leaks, even when I added a second screw type hose clamp! I had the same problem with the upper hose to the thermostat repro clamp, and replaced it with original Witeck clamps that I had. That solved that.

The new radiator hose fit very tight onto the water pump outlet. But do these old water pumps tend to have a rough surface and too many pits (painted over) to form a tight seal against the inner hose surface? In the past, I would use gasket cement to help seal the hose connections. I didn't this time though. The temp gauge also shows it running slightly hotter than I normally run (@200* instead of @180*). Could it be a bad rebuild causing the pump to not flow adequately, thereby raising my engine temp and causing back pressure to leak out of the hose?

1966 427/390 water pump hose leak, past hose clamp
you have an air bubble in the system check overflow tank if low add to half full.Run it and get the air out temp
will go down.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:44 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Sometimes the casting has a flash line that was not ground down enough and does not allow the hose to seat.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:35 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rtruman
you have an air bubble in the system check overflow tank if low add to half full.Run it and get the air out temp
will go down.
Big blocks don't have an overflow tank.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Big blocks don't have an overflow tank.
I guess you still could have an air bubble in the system Thanks
Old 08-18-2015, 07:57 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Roger Walling;1590294095]Sometimes the casting has a flash line that was not ground down enough and does not allow the hose to seat.[/QUOTE

Well..... it was just the opposite. Take a look at the flat spot that's ground into the outlet on the bottom side, exactly where the hose leak was coming from. I sanded it down and used lacquer thinner to reveal this (using a mirror).

NOW, what do I do (besides find that p.o.s. that sold me this defective rebuilt junk core on *bay)?! When I first received it, the heater hose outlet tube was flat on one edge, as if it had been dropped. I contacted the seller then, who played dumb, and I tapped it round with a ballpeen hammer. But THIS really p*sses me off! It's dated properly and cost me some bucks.

If I remove it, I'm just going to replace it with either the old (non GM) pump that I removed, which still worked fine or buy a new one over the counter (non correct date and probably non GM, of course). Buyer beware is right. That's why I usually stick to only Corvette vendors (except one on here who regularly posts specials, who also screwed up an order big time, and I'll never deal with again).

I am grateful for all of your responses on this, and I never pretend to have all of the answers. That's why I love this site. So if anyone has encountered this type of problem and knows a way around it (besides a hot glue gun, LOL) please feel free to suggest something. Otherwise I'm replacing this sucker and making the next show this weekend!

Flat spot on 1966 date coded 427 water pump (bottom of outlet tube viewed with mirror).

Last edited by big block ken; 08-18-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:00 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rtruman
I guess you still could have an air bubble in the system Thanks
I really appreciate the input. Sorry I was rather short in my response (I had just discovered the cause of the leak). And I wish it was an air bubble. Check out my picture of what's causing this leak. UGH. It's amazing what some Chevy orange paint can cover up.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking lower hose at water pump issue

Old 08-18-2015, 08:42 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

I really appreciate the input. Sorry I was rather short in my response (I had just discovered the cause of the leak). And I wish it was an air bubble. Check out my picture of what's causing this leak. UGH. It's amazing what some Chevy orange paint can cover up.
Put some JB weld on it smooth it in all the pits sand it down and that
should fix it just my 2 cents .
The number matching pump I got had the plate bent up I had to take apart and fix mine it was leaking . I also got it on E-Bay.
Your right when there's a leak it will raise the temp ,once you fix the
leak it will be good to go I would fix it .Because of numbers matching.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:31 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

That's a good idea. I've used J.B. Weld before, but never on cast iron auto parts. I would think it would hold up to heat and anti-freeze, so I'll give that a try tomorrow. I wonder if we bought our "rebuilt" pumps from the same guy. It's a family business in Oregon and I just wrote him through *bay.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:27 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

That's a good idea. I've used J.B. Weld before, but never on cast iron auto parts. I would think it would hold up to heat and anti-freeze, so I'll give that a try tomorrow. I wonder if we bought our "rebuilt" pumps from the same guy. It's a family business in Oregon and I just wrote him through *bay.
The guys I got it from is called enginehunter he said he's getting old and didn't catch the bent piece .
These pumps are getting harder to find and more expensive
I fixed mine couldn't find another one .Mine had the rough surface
also I got lucky at 110 dollars

Last edited by rtruman; 08-19-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Leaking lower hose at water pump issue