C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Leather or Vinyl Seats for a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 01:10 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Default Leather or Vinyl Seats for a Daily Driver

I have white leather seats in the 65. Only been in the car a few years and they look like crap. Dirty and cracked. I drive the car every day, everywhere. It truly is a daily driver and I do some long trips as well. I will admit I have not been diligent with leather treatment and white is probably the worst color for a driver. I am considering a color change and considering going to vinyl for durability. Looking for opinions from people with experience with both interiors. I like leather but if it going to look bad then maybe I'll go to vinyl. Originality is of no consequence to me.

Thanks
Tom
Old 08-31-2015, 01:21 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
I have white leather seats in the 65. Only been in the car a few years and they look like crap. Dirty and cracked. I drive the car every day, everywhere. It truly is a daily driver and I do some long trips as well. I will admit I have not been diligent with leather treatment and white is probably the worst color for a driver. I am considering a color change and considering going to vinyl for durability. Looking for opinions from people with experience with both interiors. I like leather but if it going to look bad then maybe I'll go to vinyl. Originality is of no consequence to me.

Thanks
Tom
White vinyl seats would get dirty just as fast as leather ones. In my experience leather is more durable. Since you use your car so much, maybe get new leather covers and then simply spray dye the dash and doors.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:19 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I still have the original vinyl seats in my 65 with 108k miles, and they look terrific, with no cracks or creases. My 2001 Acura has 38k miles, and the leather looks like crap. The main trouble with leather is it stretch's, and doesn't stretch back very well, which leads to creases. Vinyl has much more elastic properties, is very durable, and easier to clean.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Original red vinyl in my '63 - look like new still!
Old 08-31-2015, 02:27 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Leather is the most responsive (and natural) to treatment. Why not keep it? There are several products to make it look new again.

The best summer driving seats are from the Ford GT40
Old 08-31-2015, 04:01 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the input.

White vinyl seats would get dirty just as fast as leather ones. In my experience leather is more durable. Since you use your car so much, maybe get new leather covers and then simply spray dye the dash and doors.
That's what I'm thinking. New seat covers and dye the rest of the stuff.

I still have the original vinyl seats in my 65 with 108k miles, and they look terrific, with no cracks or creases. My 2001 Acura has 38k miles, and the leather looks like crap. The main trouble with leather is it stretch's, and doesn't stretch back very well, which leads to creases. Vinyl has much more elastic properties, is very durable, and easier to clean.
I was thinking vinyl would be more durable than leather in an daily driver. The leather covers made by the vendors do not seem to be of the quality of the leather in other high line cars. Maybe it is also the seat foam that relaxes and allow the creasing.

Original red vinyl in my '63 - look like new still!
Red is the color I am considering changing to.

Leather is the most responsive (and natural) to treatment. Why not keep it? There are several products to make it look new again.
I have cleaned the seats so much the dye is coming off! Now the seats are cracked, dirty and areas of sorta grey where the dye is thin.

But there is something about leather seats. An emotional thing I guess. Leather equates to quality.

Tom
Old 08-31-2015, 05:32 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I vote leather.

Vinyl reminds me of the 1/4 inch thick diamond pleat Fingerhut clear plastic seat covers my dad put on every new car he bought.

In the Winter you slid onto the seat, reached for the radio **** and the blue spark shot out five inches to your fingers.

In the Summer you sat on the seats in shorts and when you got up your outer layer of skin remained atached to the seat cover like the skin on a fried chicken.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Vinyl reminds me of the 1/4 inch thick diamond pleat Fingerhut clear plastic seat covers my dad put on every new car he bought.

In the Winter you slid onto the seat, reached for the radio **** and the blue spark shot out five inches to your fingers.

In the Summer you sat on the seats in shorts and when you got up your outer layer of skin remained atached to the seat cover like the skin on a fried chicken.
Now that's funny and sooooo true!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:06 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

As a driver, vinyl might be better. I've got a driver '66 convertible with vinyl seats that are at least 30 years old, and maybe 40. Maybe older. They look the same today as when I bought the car 25 years ago.

That said, I carry a towel in the car to cover the seats so I don't burn my legs when I get into the car after it has been sitting in the sun for a while.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:17 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Vinyl for a convertible will probably be more durable in the long run. In a coupe either one should give good service with reasonable care. My 2 cents which isn't worth much.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:14 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 683 Posts

Depends on the quality of the leather and the quality of the vinyl.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:26 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

I vote leather.

Clear vinyl over leather. Now I hadn't thought of that!

Tom
Old 09-01-2015, 02:02 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
Depends on the quality of the leather and the quality of the vinyl.
at least concerning vinyl, as I've never had leather. My new (last year) AK covers are made of a VERY durable material. Even the upholsterer was quite impressed and showed me the differences between what I brought him compared to the materials other customers had used.

While leather has it's own distinctive smell and, of course a softer feel, I would think a good quality vinyl would hold up better, last longer and be easier to keep clean and they don't start cracking as I see in most leather upholstery.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 09-01-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Shultzie
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

If I had it to do all over again, I would go with leather. Vinyl is much cheaper though.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:57 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
Clear vinyl over leather. Now I hadn't thought of that!

Tom
Tom: leather is not only more elegant it is cooler in the Summer and warmer in the Winter than vinyl.

While you have the seats apart for recover install seat heaters. I have a brand new pair of heaters sitting here like Jeff used in 1CoolC2.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

What about a third option - Ultra Leather?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I've been told by more that one car upholsterer that generally vinyl will out last leather by far. However, there are various grades of leather but I doubt that our Vettes had/have the best available. The really good stuff you'll find in MB's, Lexus's and such. My BIL has a '95 MB with close to 300K on the odometer and the seats look new. I asked him how he keeps them so nice and he said he's never really done anything to them.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather or Vinyl Seats for a Daily Driver

Old 09-02-2015, 12:20 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Tom: leather is not only more elegant it is cooler in the Summer and warmer in the Winter than vinyl.

While you have the seats apart for recover install seat heaters. I have a brand new pair of heaters sitting here like Jeff used in 1CoolC2.
Great idea. While recovering the seats it's simple to add seat heaters from eBay. I've done this to several Sting Rays and even here in Calif it's a blessing. Here's a pic of my heater switch on the driver's side:
Old 09-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Man, some of you guys must be gettin' pretty old if you need seat heaters in a C2 for Gods sake! Do you also wear a shawl and blanket when sittin' in your rockers at home too.

Gary
Old 09-02-2015, 01:11 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Leather is more elegant but less durable. Have original red vinyl upholstery in my '61 and it's still nice. Have original blue vinyl in my '65 GTO and it's still nice. Have reproduction Legendary white vinyl in my '67 GTO that's 23 years old and looks like brand new still. Easy to clean. Have original leather in my '94 4Runner, and it's looked shabby and has been worn through for the past 12 years. It's also been my experience that leather really doesn't breathe any better than vinyl....cloth does.

Quick Reply: Leather or Vinyl Seats for a Daily Driver