C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Little advise on wire harness install in '62.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,958 Likes on 891 Posts

Default Little advise on wire harness install in '62.

Ok, after completing the installation of the frigging $200.00 three piece cardboard firewall insulation, I'm preparing to move to the next step.

I have my brake and clutch pedal assembly out, as well as all the components in the center console. Additionally, I have the instrument pod removed, the heater motor and housing out.

It sure looks pretty obvious to me that it may be a good time to install the main wire harness. I have already installed the rear harness, which was pretty darn easy.

My question is this; if I install the wiring harness prior to installing the other components, am I going to be sorry for doing so later?

Or should I install all the components under the dash first, and then work the wiring through the components into it's appropriate place?

Just trying to learn from others!

Thanks,

Pat
Old 09-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,997 Likes on 4,813 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Never done a solid axle but I think it would be best to install the pedal assembly first.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

The folks that i know that have rewired the underdash harness did so with everything installed..
Old 09-04-2015, 10:47 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 799 Likes on 546 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That's the way I did mine. The WW wiper cables can easily saw a hole in it.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:26 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Ok, after completing the installation of the frigging $200.00 three piece cardboard firewall insulation, I'm preparing to move to the next step.

I have my brake and clutch pedal assembly out, as well as all the components in the center console. Additionally, I have the instrument pod removed, the heater motor and housing out.

It sure looks pretty obvious to me that it may be a good time to install the main wire harness. I have already installed the rear harness, which was pretty darn easy.

My question is this; if I install the wiring harness prior to installing the other components, am I going to be sorry for doing so later?

Or should I install all the components under the dash first, and then work the wiring through the components into it's appropriate place?

Just trying to learn from others!

Thanks,

Pat
Pat,
Add the major mechanical items before the harnes. Otherwise you will spend hours re routing it later on. Rich
Old 09-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by SIXTYTWO
Pat,
Add the major mechanical items before the harnes. Otherwise you will spend hours re routing it later on. Rich
And possibly scrape up wire bundles, ding insulation or pinch wires maneuvering the bigger components under there - I think you get it now
Old 09-05-2015, 07:43 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 566 Likes on 340 Posts

The last 3 or 4 C1's I did.........as I recall......

Park Brake Assembly

Clutch pedal rod seal/bracket(early cars mount 2 screws from inside, later cars outside in engine bay)

(above 2 items sit behind insulation, You could sneak the Park Brake flange bolt in after insulation.... carefully)

Firewall insulation

Wiper trans/cables (best if nothing in the way for those beasts)

Defroster ducts

Tach/Speedo cables(run them thru the 2 grommet holes in the dash and put a flagged piece of masking tape 2" back from the ends so the ferrules don't slide back out of reach from underneath) Note the speedo cable goes between the two DS cable pair, not above or below the pair.

Cluster(connect tach/speed cables now)

Dash Harness(wired to the gauges) Don't forget to install the harness clips at the windshield frame T-Bolts and route away from wiper cables.

Pedal support assy(after harness so your head doesn't hit the pedals and upper frame get in the way of wiring the cluster)

Steering Column(Wrap upper end with protective cloth for paint, and wrap a thick rag around the shaft end to keep it free of blood from your head. Leave brackets off under dash, align to cluster, shim at box if necesary) Then attach brackets.

Misc other stuff, oil line to gauge, speaker, clock console stuff, heater cables, heater box, def hoses, etc.

I save the fresh air cowl vent mechanism for last as it gets in the way of the previous steps.

Note the Oil line and the Harness extension(clock/radio/courtesy lights) fit between the center console side and fresh air vent frame up high.

I may have missed something.

Rich
Old 09-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I wouldn't have guessed the pedal support after the harness but it makes sense when I think about it -- and besides, Rich has done a bazillion more of these cars than I have..I'm sure he's optimized the install.

Again, my main bugaboos are making sure the wiper tranny cables don't contact the wiring and adding the add'l fusing discussed often here - VERY important !

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-05-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:11 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks a lot Guys!

This will definitely get me going in the right direction!

Rich, thanks for taking the time to spell it out step by step for me, I really do appreciate the help.

Also, it looks like I better take care of a few other items prior to moving forward on this. I was hoping to install the dash pad, windshield and instrument pod after, but it appears I better get these in place sooner rather than later.

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 09-05-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

One you do a C1 windshield and dashpad, ANY other job is comparatively easy!!

Am I to take it you already know the deal on the pot metal windshield pillar tabs ? Right ?
Old 09-05-2015, 11:24 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
One you do a C1 windshield and dashpad, ANY other job is comparatively easy!!

Am I to take it you already know the deal on the pot metal windshield pillar tabs ? Right ?
Hey Frankie,

The dash-pad is off and scraped clean of all old glue and debris. I have a friend of mine coming over to help me install the new pad. He has done several of them so the help will be welcomed.

I have already completed the windshield and have it sitting ready to install. And of course, I had to repair one of the pillar tabs. I had already repaired one side over 20 years ago when I first built the car, so I was aware of the problem.

Of course, since they were off...may as well get new chrome....which led to new chrome on bumpers......grill surround.... well...you know!

Went to put door handles on and what do you think? Damn....I better get new ones, or get these re-chromed!

I had almost forgotten how much fun it is crawling under dash...NOT!!!

Pat

Get notified of new replies

To Little advise on wire harness install in '62.

Quick Reply: Little advise on wire harness install in '62.