C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

54 restoration help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 06:54 PM
rcnicholl
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 54 restoration help

Okay, I need some help from the more knowledgeable people on this site. I'm in the process of restoring a 54. I've been at this for about 4 years and it's been a lot of fun but I'm starting to realize they don't know too much about the c1 series as I thought. When I bought this project it was all in piece. I did get a great price and I guess putting my time into it hasn't been an issue but I'm starting to realize that it's not as complete as I thought. My current issue is with the hood. It appears that the backing plates for attaching the hinges, the hood support and the latches have all been removed as you can see in the pictures. I have no idea why someone would remove these but now I have to figure out how to get him back in. At this point I figure I have to remake these plates cut open the fiberglass and reset them and then fix the fiberglass. The real problem is I have no idea what these plates look like so I'm guessing at how to make them. Anyone out there have some pictures I might be able to use or even some spare plates you're willing to sell? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hinge

Hood support

Latch

Old 10-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

I have all of the plates needed. In order to replace them correctly, you will have to split the hood skin and frame. The plates were hard riveted to the skin, originally. You can pop rivet them without splitting the panels and fill in the heads of the rivets so they look like solid aluminum rivets.

Just PM me for cost for all pieces.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:31 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The hood will split apart fairly easy with a putty knife - once you get it started - you can tap the side of the putty knife all the way around.
putting the plates in are easy
Question - are the retainers there ? the plates are loose in a "retainer" for the hood prop - the front and rear ones are fixed.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:25 PM
rcnicholl
Instructor

Default 54 hood

Originally Posted by csherman
The hood will split apart fairly easy with a putty knife - once you get it started - you can tap the side of the putty knife all the way around.
putting the plates in are easy
Question - are the retainers there ? the plates are loose in a "retainer" for the hood prop - the front and rear ones are fixed.
The real problem is that the retainers are missing. Someone took the time to cut open the fiberglass and remove them. I need to find some to install or make them.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:31 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I might have an extra or Brett might have an extra
have you thought about another good hood ?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 PM
rcnicholl
Instructor

Default 54 hood

I might have an extra or Brett might have an extra
have you thought about another good hood ?
If I can find the plates to buy I'll open up the hood and install them. A new hood is pretty expensive and my time is pretty cheap these days. If you have them and want to sell just let me know.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:07 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rcnicholl
If I can find the plates to buy I'll open up the hood and install them. A new hood is pretty expensive and my time is pretty cheap these days. If you have them and want to sell just let me know.
- Fair enough and understand ! - Brett has the plates.....
Old 10-05-2015, 06:15 PM
rcnicholl
Instructor

Default 54 hood

- Fair enough and understand ! - Brett has the plates.....
Thanks. I sent Brett a PM. Hopefully he can find a set. Otherwise I'll be making them.

Get notified of new replies

To 54 restoration help

Quick Reply: 54 restoration help