C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I can't figure this out!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:17 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default I can't figure this out!

I'm trying to help a friend with a '65 get his car to start correctly. At first his problem was that the car would act dead when he hit the key, but not all the time. Every time he changed something, he thought it was finally fixed, but it kept happening.

I told him I thought it was the ignition switch, so I gave him a new one I had for my car. I knew it might not plug in, but I told him to just let it hang under the dash and jump the wires to see if that helped his problem.

After replacing the battery cables, then the starter, then the battery before trying the ignition switch, it seems that the switch worked, it now at least tries to turn over when you turn the key.

He now has another problem. When he turns the key the motor barely turns over. I asked if the car runs well when it does start and he told me it runs fine, so I guess the timing is fine.

I had him try to start the car with a multimeter hooked up and it pulled the battery down to around 10 volts. The battery tested out at 12 volts. I also hooked a battery cable to the neg terminal and the engine to make sure the ground was good.

It turns over slowly (every time now that it has a new ign. switch) and the starter motor doesn't sound right. Also it doesn't torque as hard as I expected when I had it in my hands still hooked up and asked him to hit the key.

The rebuilt starter is now suspect, but he is going to bring it to a shop that rebuilds starters.

Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited by KC John; 11-24-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:34 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Jump with a known good battery and see what happens...

Originally Posted by KC John
I'm trying to help a friend with a '65 get his car to start correctly. At first his problem was that the car would act dead when he hit the key, but not all the time. Every time he changed something, he thought it was finally fixed, but it kept happening.

I told him I thought it was the ignition switch, so I gave him a new one I had for my car. I knew it might not plug in, but I told him to just let it hang under the dash and jump the wires to see if that helped his problem.

After replacing the battery cables, then the starter, then the battery before trying the ignition switch, it seems that the switch worked, it now at least tries to turn over when you turn the key.

He now has another problem. When he turns the key the motor barely turns over. I asked if the car runs well when it does start and he told me it runs fine, so I guess the timing is fine.

I had him try to start the car with a multimeter hooked up and it pulled the battery down to around 10 volts. The battery tested out at 12 volts. I also hooked a battery cable to the neg terminal and the engine to make sure the ground was good.

It turns over slowly (every time now that it has a new ign. switch) and the starter motor doesn't sound right. Also it doesn't torque as hard as I expected when I had it in my hands still hooked up and asked him to hit the key.

The rebuilt starter is now suspect, but he is going to bring it to a shop that rebuilds starters.

This sounds like a failing battery or a bad battery cable(s). Assume you've cleaned up the battery terminals??
Old 11-23-2015, 06:36 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

At first his problem was that the car would act dead when he hit the key, but not all the time. it now at least tries to turn over when you turn the key.

He now has another problem. When he turns the key the motor barely turns over. Is there something I'm missing?
Sounds like a weak and/or dying battery.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:59 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Maybe the starter has to be shimmed.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:15 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Every thing is new and the bendix engages properly, it doesn't bind at all. The only symptom is the engine turns over like it's full of molasses.

If the battery was bad wouldn't it eventually just click and not try to turn the engine.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:37 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Whats the CC AMPS of the battery and is the starter Stock or a Mini hi torque one...???
Old 11-24-2015, 09:38 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 578 Posts

Every thing is new and the bendix engages properly, it doesn't bind at all. The only symptom is the engine turns over like it's full of molasses.

If the battery was bad wouldn't it eventually just click and not try to turn the engine.

You said the battery tested at 12V. It should be 12.6
It should read > 13.5V with the car running if the alternator is good.
It should pull down to 9.6v when cranking the starter..

Last edited by phil2302; 11-24-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 66jack
Whats the CC AMPS of the battery and is the starter Stock or a Mini hi torque one...???
It is a stock rebuilt starter from a Chevy dealer. I'll have to check the CC AMPS.

Last edited by KC John; 11-24-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:46 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm also thinking the Battery is at fault. Try jumping the car with a known good Battery to see if it starts easily. A Battery should be above 13 Volts to be strong. Al W.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:53 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

I know how to do only two things to solve electrical problems. Replace the battery or look for problems with a ground. Here I vote for the former.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:59 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by phil2302
You said the battery tested at 12V. It should be 12.6
It should read > 13.5V with the car running if the alternator is good.
It should pull down to 9.6v when cranking the starter..
I was using an old analog meter, so it could have been 12.6. He told me he read 13.9 when it was running so it seems the battery and alternator is fine.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I would check for a voltage drop on both the positive and negative sides of the starter. Use your volt meter. Put the positive meter lead on the positive post of the battery. On the post not the cable end. Put the negative lead on the starter solenoid where the battery cable attaches. Put it on the terminal, not the cable lead. Watch the meter and look for a voltage reading while your friend tries to crank the engine. You should see less than ~.2 volts. Repeat the test on the negitive post of the battery and the starter case or mount bolt. Reverse the meter leads so the negative meter lead is on the battery post. Again you should see less than ~.2 volts. If either test shows more than the ~.2 volts you are dropping voltage through that side.

If you have no meter reading at all while performing the tests check your connections. You may not have a good meter connection.

Tom

Last edited by Sky65; 11-25-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:26 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Turns out the starter was bad, he replaced it and all is well. I guess he happened to have two problems at the same time. First the ign switch was bad and then the starter he replaced was fine (I tested it before he changed it out) but he replaced it anyway before trying the switch. The dealer replaced the starter so other than spending a bunch of money he didn't have to spend, it's now fixed. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:58 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Rebuilt starters

Spend the extra money and buy a NEW starter. Rebuilt is a worn out part that has had only wear items replaced to Make it work. Still a weak worn out part. Another tip. If your battery is a Napa take it back and buy anything else. Napa batteries are no good . I deal with these issues everyday. You may not agree but this is my opinion and I am sticking with it. Dave
Turns out the starter was bad, he replaced it and all is well. I guess he happened to have two problems at the same time. First the ign switch was bad and then the starter he replaced was fine (I tested it before he changed it out) but he replaced it anyway before trying the switch. The dealer replaced the starter so other than spending a bunch of money he didn't have to spend, it's now fixed. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by 65specialk; 11-26-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 65specialk
Rebuilt is a worn out part that has had only wear items replaced to Make it work. Still a weak worn out part.
Nothing 'weak' or 'worn out' if it is rebuilt correctly. I guess everybody needs to buy a new engine also. Maybe in your area no one can rebuild a part correctly. I guess I am lucky and can have the shop I use who rebuilds my stuff and NEVER have a problem.

I have had BOTH new alternators and new starters that were brought in by my customers fail. SO....it can happen.

DUB
Old 07-09-2016, 03:12 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DUB
Nothing 'weak' or 'worn out' if it is rebuilt correctly. I guess everybody needs to buy a new engine also. Maybe in your area no one can rebuild a part correctly. I guess I am lucky and can have the shop I use who rebuilds my stuff and NEVER have a problem.

I have had BOTH new alternators and new starters that were brought in by my customers fail. SO....it can happen.

DUB
Not in every situation. I just personally rebuilt my generator of my 1961 Cadillac. After opening it I found the brushes were shot but I had new brushes and bearings on my bench. I used 3,000 paper on armature copper making sure all copper that brushes contacted were not shorting out. I polished them with 3,000 and 3M maroon and grey pads, then lightly running a dentist pick between every copper contact. Then checking the continuity of armature and strength of every solder joint. After using electronics cleaner and air to clean all moving parts and contacts, especially the condition of spring that puts pressure on brushes with contact. Also replaced wires and screws. The bearings had no wear so I cleaned them out and repacked them with grease. All rust on magnet field was addressed. After I cleaned case and painted it. Then I put it back together. Before I did this I was getting 10.3 volts now 14.7. I know that this was my best way to go. All parts are USA too.
DUB is 100% correct in what he said but in my case, I know what went into it and it was done right. Too many failures with Chinese starters, solenoids, parts period. Then we are stuck going up and down, in and out.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:40 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,025 Likes on 684 Posts

"Back in the day" I worked with a fortune 50 Co. One of our Industrial Engineers related to me that during his summers while in school he worked in a Starter/Alternator/Generator rebuild company doing time studies. The process was to bring all the piles of alternators into a room and disassemble them. Similar parts were placed in piles together. Each pile of similar parts were then run through a tumbler to remove rust, grease, and whatever. Once the piles were cleaned. They moved to an assembly area and these parts were reassembled and painted. Only obviously broken pieces were discarded. They had a high return rate. They sold their product to Auto Supply Houses as rebuilt units.

I never buy a rebuilt anything. My failure rate is 0% just as xkeots!

Get notified of new replies

To I can't figure this out!

Quick Reply: I can't figure this out!