C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

FiTech TBI Install in '65

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Basic64
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to thank you all for such great in-depth information on this topic! You have given me the confidence to take the plunge and add the Fitech system to my 64 roadster. I will be doing the C5 fuel system like Wayne. Any other updates on how the c5 fuel system has worked out for you Wayne would be greatly appreciated along with any other recommendations .

Jim
The following users liked this post:
65-StingRay (02-01-2022)
Old 12-05-2016, 06:43 AM
rel3rd
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Basic64
Just wanted to thank you all for such great in-depth information on this topic! You have given me the confidence to take the plunge and add the Fitech system to my 64 roadster. I will be doing the C5 fuel system like Wayne. Any other updates on how the c5 fuel system has worked out for you Wayne would be greatly appreciated along with any other recommendations .

Jim
Jim, might I suggest also checking into the Holley Sniper before committing. I ran the FiTech for 10 months, before having enough of their all but non existent customer service. They are near identical as far as how they are installed, can also use the C5 regulator, and are actually made in the USA. I couldn't be happier after swapping to the Holley setup...and running 2/10th's quicker in the 1/4 mile was a bonus...
Basic64 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Basic64
Intermediate

Thank you rel3rd! I definitely want to make the best decision I can. I prefer less headaches so I will be checking out the Holley sniper! I'm guessing you found their support a bit better?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 AM
rel3rd
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Basic64
Thank you rel3rd! I definitely want to make the best decision I can. I prefer less headaches so I will be checking out the Holley sniper! I'm guessing you found their support a bit better?
Well Holley is Holley...Fitech is, well, a California company that has their product made in China, and that took off without the foresight to have enough people who are qualified to give accurate and consistent technical help.

They argued with me, a mechanic with 35 years experience, about whether their Fuel Command Center was faulty or not, when I knew 100% positively that it was defective...

Heck, probably 75% of their recently added online website tech help is "borrowed" from the tech we found out on our own, on the Chevelle site...

My Fitech worked well enough, and was way better than any carb that's ever been on the car, but the Holley, with pretty much zero learn time, easily outperformed it, and runs noticeably better all around, which admittedly, I thought wouldn't/couldn't really happen...

For having a well known company, that is very well versed in EFI, versus a company with lousy service, and less capability out of the box, for the same money??? It's a no brainer...
Basic64 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:41 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I looked seriously at the Holley Sniper for an install on my '59, but decided to go with their Dominator multiport system, mainly because of the transmission control and input/output capabilities. I do not have the system running yet, but I can tell you that the quality of the Holley parts is outstanding. Their support is great also. You might want to look at http://forums.holley.com/ . They now have a Sniper section.

Charles
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by cbernhardt:
Basic64 (12-06-2016), Stan's Customs (07-10-2017)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
I looked seriously at the Holley Sniper for an install on my '59, but decided to go with their Dominator multiport system, mainly because of the transmission control and input/output capabilities. I do not have the system running yet, but I can tell you that the quality of the Holley parts is outstanding. Their support is great also. You might want to look at http://forums.holley.com/ . They now have a Sniper section.

Charles
I'm gonna assume you've added a hood scoop to clear that
Old 12-06-2016, 09:31 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Already had one to fit over the 850 Dominator carb. The nice thing was that the Holley throttle body + new intake manifold was almost exactly the same height as the carb system.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Basic64
Intermediate

@rel3rd

Are you running a dual or single plane intake on you combo?
Old 07-08-2017, 10:03 AM
torino
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lean stumble

Hey guys, am new to the site...have 87 c4 vette converted to fitech go street 400 efi. experiencing lean stumble when gently getting back into the throttle from coast. have tried all the accell pump settings dfco cut etc. still there it shoots up to 19 - 20: 1 and almost dies then goes normal again, its fine if you stab it...any help?
Old 07-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by torino
Hey guys, am new to the site...have 87 c4 vette converted to fitech go street 400 efi. experiencing lean stumble when gently getting back into the throttle from coast. have tried all the accell pump settings dfco cut etc. still there it shoots up to 19 - 20: 1 and almost dies then goes normal again, its fine if you stab it...any help?
The best place I've found for FiTech help is "FiTech owners group" on Facebook.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 AM
64con
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Fuel command centre

I see that you didnt end up using the fuel command centre. I am planning on using one and I'm wondering if you relocated the horn relay and voltage regulator to get yours to fit.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:41 AM
candipogo
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default fuel command center

Originally Posted by 64con
I see that you didnt end up using the fuel command centre. I am planning on using one and I'm wondering if you relocated the horn relay and voltage regulator to get yours to fit.
my 64 is a restomod. so I have removed several things from engine bay area. my battery is in passenger side storage compartment
. and, I used a different overflow tank set up that is much smaller. but, there is probably enough room to get it up there. fitech publishes the dimensions I think. also, holley and edelbrock make these fuel command centers. if size is an issue, you might look at how there's are made. moving the relay/voltage regulator would be simple. but it might not be the look you want.
lol,phil
Old 10-08-2017, 11:51 AM
64con
Pro

Originally Posted by candipogo
my 64 is a restomod. so I have removed several things from engine bay area. my battery is in passenger side storage compartment
. and, I used a different overflow tank set up that is much smaller. but, there is probably enough room to get it up there. fitech publishes the dimensions I think. also, holley and edelbrock make these fuel command centers. if size is an issue, you might look at how there's are made. moving the relay/voltage regulator would be simple. but it might not be the look you want.
lol,phil
thank you very much for the information on the fitment of the command centre. I think relocating the horn relay and voltage regulator is going to be the answer. I would like to keep the fuel centre as close as possible to the mechanical fuel pump
👍
Old 10-08-2017, 01:40 PM
64con
Pro

Originally Posted by 64con
thank you very much for the information on the fitment of the command centre. I think relocating the horn relay and voltage regulator is going to be the answer. I would like to keep the fuel centre as close as possible to the mechanical fuel pump
👍
Do you want to sell me your gas tank filler neck with the vent line modification....lol
Old 10-31-2017, 09:21 PM
64con
Pro

Ended up installing fuel command centre in the window washer reservoir holder. Works great. Fitech system is working great.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:41 PM
camarokev
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filter / regulator combo

Originally Posted by 65-StingRay
Guys, sorry I've been working hard lately fighting fires haven't had much time to post.

But first some pics of the gas tank and filter/regualtor.

I've been running this system for about 3 weeks now.
A couple of nights ago I went to my secret spot and ran her through the gears, mostly 1-3 to redline a few times and a number of others less than redline. No leaks, no pressure problems, no filter/regulator problems everything working quite well. Must have pulled her through the gears at least 20 or more times without a hitch. So I'm starting to feel confidant about this returnless set-up.

As I've already said in previous posts about a small popping problem I'm having at about 3500rpms. It still occurs but less regularly than before. If I feather the gas at shift change - no pops. If I take it right up to redline or anywhere above 5000 rpms no problems runs smooth as could be.
The night I did those tests I played with my AFR enriching and leaning throughout the process. Although I did improve the performance a little could not get rid of the pop.
So to my thinking there may be a few things I have not discovered yet. 3 things I've thought of - a poorly operating O2 sensor, a vacuum leak (highly unprobable) and a header leak somewhere, could be very small leak on the same side as the O2 sensor.

So what I did was book it in for a dyno tune at the end of this month. They should be able to point me in the right direction of whatever it is that's causing the pop. I will still try and figure it out on my own till the day arrives.

I want to do the same thing to my 67 with its 388 stroker. Just to be clear, your pump line from the tank goes to the LS filter/regulator, gets regulated there to 58 psi to the throttle body inlet,and there is no return to the tank from the throttle body - just at the filter/regulator. Sounds like it should work fine. I assume you used the original fuel pump electrical circuit without any relay to enable control of pump speed. Please post an update here if it continues to work or if there are any problems that arise. I won't be starting my install until June, but would like to order parts now. My Fitech 600hp arrives any moment.

Yes to question 1. Yes to question 2. The FiTech system has it's own internal relay and the only thing I did was to adjust the fuel pump pressure from the handheld unit down to 62% so now my fuel gauge on my rail by the air cleaner reads 58 psi. You can go too low on the setting so monitor it for a while if you change the setting.

If you cut the fuel line at the rear where the flare is be sure to buy this fitting SwageLok SS-600-6-6AN. It is stainless steel and is a good fitting for this.

I used one on the front line as well.

65-StingRayWayne
I Installed the same exact fuel system setup on my 69 camaro but I’m only seeing 50-52 psi at fitech unit I had controller set to 100% then saw your post and lowered it and didn’t make any difference. I used a wix filter any chance it could be regulating the pressure to low ? Your thoughts
Old 02-01-2022, 08:34 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

camarokev, It could be the Wix filter/reg. is regulating the pressure too low as you mentioned. Those regulators inside are not high quality standards. Buy another Wix fil/reg without the extra fittings and try again. There are many clones out there today that fail out of the box - some are not bad others worse. I've tried a few and I like the Wix best. If you need/want to spend more you can look at the Holley 12-875 but the regulators inside here are suspect as well. I used 2 different ones to achieve the correct pressure with the Holley unit which is 60 psi.

If you played with the pressure adjustments in the handheld and it didn't make any difference the problem is back from here. If you can check your two fuel lines coming from the gas tank to the filter/reg the sending line may be kinked or plugged a little for whatever reason.
It could also be the fuel pump but I would rule that out - only as a last resort after checking other avenues.
The pressure regulator in the throttle body may also be the culprit. But check the simple things first.

Before the winter came I went one more step up the ladder and installed the Holley 12-310 corvette fuel module with return line built in so fuel automatically is returned to the tank and it's set to 58 psi factory. They build them for your Camaro now as well.

Let me know what you come up with.

Holley 12-875 - 60 psi built into reg.

Wired and plumbed with one fuel line only.

Fuel pump and hydromat at bottom of orig. tank.
So far I like this system the best. Check Summit on the web.

65-StingRay, Wayne

Last edited by 65-StingRay; 02-01-2022 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: FiTech TBI Install in '65