C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Can a 63 master cylinder be changed without bleeding.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 06:55 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr's 63swc
I agree with Frankie - bleed at least the front wheel and all of them if you have not done this recently. I just did this on my '63. Had to rebuild the master cylinder. I do not see how you can get all of the air out of that junction between the master cylinder and the single line without bleeding - it is horizontal! And yes, I bench bled the master and had a reasonable pedal. However, when I bled the front wheel, I still saw a few small bubbles. Now, I know for sure there are none!

As for tbarb, since brake fluid absorbs moisture, if your brake line was open for over a year, I would definitely bleed the entire system to get all of the moisture out!

Regards,

Just learning it all the hard way Jon

SILICONE FLUID, been in there for a long time. Brake pedal very hard, I have no doubt it's fine. The brake line is vertical not horizontal, keep in mind high point in system.
I did tape it with paper towel and rubber band.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

If some of these guys would wise up and use Dot 5, they wouldn't have to have those silly (expensive) speed bleeders and rebuilding their brake cylinders because of rust every few years.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:01 AM
jfr's 63swc
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

tbarb, Missed the part where you had silicone brake fluid. However, on both of my '63s, the brake line comes off of the front side of the master cylinder horizontally for about 2" before curving down vertically. This is the section where I do not see how ALL of the fluid will remain when it is disconnected.

MikeM, I HAD to rebuild my master cylinder on one of the cars because that is condition it was in when I purchased the car and I want to drive it for the summer. And I am not interested in going thru the gymnastics of getting every drop of Dot3 out of an existing system when I am planning on scrapping the entire drum brake system and going to 4 wheel discs in the near future. Are the drums fine for my driving style? Probably, but I am changing it because I want to.

Regards,

Still learning Jon
Old 03-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
No............Plymouth incident was a separate issue. It was caused by too much HP, too much alcohol, rain, goading by some close friends, and a temporary lack of common sense. Never made it back that night to pickup my date for the evening either. Another friend drove her home. Did marry her a few years later though. But she NEVER forgot.

Larry
They NEVER do!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:27 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr's 63swc
tbarb, Missed the part where you had silicone brake fluid. However, on both of my '63s, the brake line comes off of the front side of the master cylinder horizontally for about 2" before curving down vertically. This is the section where I do not see how ALL of the fluid will remain when it is disconnected.

MikeM, I HAD to rebuild my master cylinder on one of the cars because that is condition it was in when I purchased the car and I want to drive it for the summer. And I am not interested in going thru the gymnastics of getting every drop of Dot3 out of an existing system when I am planning on scrapping the entire drum brake system and going to 4 wheel discs in the near future. Are the drums fine for my driving style? Probably, but I am changing it because I want to.

Regards,

Still learning Jon
Jon,

This will probably start a firestorm here but I will say it anyway.

If you want to change your system to DOT 5 silicone fluid clean the M/C of all the dot3 then fill with silicone and bleed the complete system starting at the furthest wheel. Bleed until it runs purple with the silicone dot5 then move on to the next wheel. Keep checking the level in the M/C and when you finish all will be fine.

I did this on my 67 in 1990 or so and never had a problem. Oh, by the way, this procedure was recommended to me by someone that has done MANY this way and never had any issues.

On my 63 car the system lines were all new and I used the silicone dot5 from the start.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:47 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by tbarb
Jon,

If you want to change your system to DOT 5 silicone fluid clean the M/C of all the dot3 then fill with silicone and bleed the complete system starting at the furthest wheel. Bleed until it runs purple with the silicone dot5 then move on to the next wheel.
I've done this on two cars and on a third one, half the system was new, half old and I used the Dot 5 to flush out the Dot 3. Varying numbers of years ago, depending on the car but I haven't touched the brake system in any of these cars since Except for swapping out a master cylinder on my '63 which had a worn out bore (probably from too much honing), causing a low pedal.

I believe it's important to start with a system that is free of rust, corrosion and sludge but it it's in that condition, you need a complete re-do anyway.

I believe that little bit of air that might be trapped in the horizintal portion of the line likely bleeds out back up through the port in the MC. Don't know for sure as I don't have X-Ray vision.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:10 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Maybe it worked for some of you but not for me. Someone forgot to give me the magical words you said to keep the fluid in while you connect the line to cylinder. But it was not a complete lost. At least I know the cylinder works and does not leak. Back to bleeding each wheel.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:41 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I've bench bled 100's of master cylinders, single and dual, over the years and have installed them without bleeding the service brakes at the wheels. The trick is to let the master outlet ports flow a little during the install. No air enters the line if you just disconnect it and leave it be. No air will enter the brake lines, so bleeding at the wheels is not needed. On the odd occasion, you can end up with a soft pedal, which means air got in. This is usually due to inattention or inexperience. In that case, a push on the pedal while cracking the outlet line on the master will purge the small air bubble. If that fails, last resort is bleeding all four wheels. I can get by probably 95 times out of 100 without all that mess, though, simply by installing a PROPERLY bench- bled master.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by tbarb
Jon,

This will probably start a firestorm here but I will say it anyway.

If you want to change your system to DOT 5 silicone fluid clean the M/C of all the dot3 then fill with silicone and bleed the complete system starting at the furthest wheel. Bleed until it runs purple with the silicone dot5 then move on to the next wheel. Keep checking the level in the M/C and when you finish all will be fine.

I did this on my 67 in 1990 or so and never had a problem. Oh, by the way, this procedure was recommended to me by someone that has done MANY this way and never had any issues.

On my 63 car the system lines were all new and I used the silicone dot5 from the start.
You'll go through a bit of DOT5, but I see no reason that shouldn't work perfectly
Old 03-19-2016, 04:27 PM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You'll go through a bit of DOT5, but I see no reason that shouldn't work perfectly
Love the dot 5 on my chevelle, years since I had a stuck caliper after the winter siesta.

Quick Reply: Can a 63 master cylinder be changed without bleeding.