C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best Fuel Sending Unit ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
I went thru the fuel-sender search several years ago for my 67. Two units form Zip were very inaccurate, reading much lower than the gas level in the tank. Several people said to buy a unit from Fargo, so I did, but it reads the same as the two Zip units. I wish I had saved my original fuel sender unit and had it rebuilt. When I fill the tank to absolutely full and drive 25 or 30 miles the dash gauge reads half empty. When the dash gauge reads Empty I have 8-10 gallons left. Just have to live with it.
No, you don't. You probably just need to bend the float arm down like I mentioned in my post that's above yours.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 04-25-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
My point there seems to be a myth on here that every single part on a classic Corvette MUST be bought via a Corvette only vendor or anther mail order vender. Most of the common parts sold by Corvette vendors are bought though the same soruce as a parts store. So your not getting anything more special.
...as a basic generalization. No dispute there.

But there are parts out there that are specific and better than others...and I know you know this...because these parts are sold specifically from the manufacturer...who is also the vendor...because they bought the rights and tooling to make parts just like GM did with GM tooling...just as an example.

DUB
Old 04-26-2016, 08:29 AM
Tom@Zip
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LouieM,
How long ago did you buy these units? We have been having much success with our fuel tank sending units for years now.
Also, concerning the local parts houses, you guys might be surprised how often the big name parts retailers will call to have us send them parts. It goes both ways.
Kind Regards,
Corvette Tech Articles | Corvette Parts Blog
Old 04-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
My point there seems to be a myth on here that every single part on a classic Corvette MUST be bought via a Corvette only vendor or anther mail order vender. Most of the common parts sold by Corvette vendors are bought though the same soruce as a parts store. So your not getting anything more special.
More of that goes on than some think. I completely redid my '63s drum brakes for $260 worth of NAPA parts. I bought my NOS '67 Chevelle hood springs from the local Chevy dealer two years ago.

You can mess around with the float on the sending unit but I wouldn't obsess over the accuracy. Get it in the car and apply a little "Kentucky windage" on the reading so you don't run out of gas and it'll be fine...
Old 04-26-2016, 01:40 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
More of that goes on than some think. I completely redid my '63s drum brakes for $260 worth of NAPA parts. I bought my NOS '67 Chevelle hood springs from the local Chevy dealer two years ago.

You can mess around with the float on the sending unit but I wouldn't obsess over the accuracy. Get it in the car and apply a little "Kentucky windage" on the reading so you don't run out of gas and it'll be fine...

That's why I was good with an eighth to a quarter over after bending the float rod. BUT having almost half a tank left when the needle was approaching E was WAYYYY too far off for me.

Gary
Old 04-26-2016, 01:45 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@Zip
LouieM,
How long ago did you buy these units? We have been having much success with our fuel tank sending units for years now.
Also, concerning the local parts houses, you guys might be surprised how often the big name parts retailers will call to have us send them parts. It goes both ways.
Kind Regards,
Memory says I bought the units 3-4 years ago.

Lou
Old 04-30-2016, 07:32 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Spectra Premium sending unit

Originally Posted by 66jack
As much as Jack drives his car...

I don't think he could wait that long for it to be fixed...
Hi, new unit came in. I have a Spectra Premium. I tested it on my car(tank is out)...plugged it into sending harness wires, turned on key. Unit showed empty when rod down & full when up. The first time in 40 years that the needle moved slowly with out jumping. I will not know how low it will show until I test it in the tank before gas is put in.

I will think about rebuilding the original depending on the unit performance and if it does not leak.

Stay tuned

Jack

Wait till you meet the characters that are working on my car! "The negotiator " (owner) . The "Grinder" I heard him say " I pick up grinder, I grind, I put down ".....O ' God and there is the "Bean counter "...

How did this happen...pictures to follow...not even a sheet over my dash....
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jackfit; 04-30-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:41 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Jack,
Demand they cover the interior. The crud will be all over, especially from the sanding. You don't want any of the fine stuff finding it's way into the gauge cluster.

Rick
Old 04-30-2016, 07:41 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Hi, new unit came in. I have a Spectra Premium. I tested it on my car(tank is out)...plugged it into sending harness wires, turned on key. Unit showed empty when rod down & full when up. The first time in 40 years that the needle moved slowly with out jumping. I will not know how low it will show until I test it in the tank before gas is put in.

I will think about rebuilding the original depending on the unit performance and if it does not leak.

Stay tuned

Jack

Wait till you meet the characters that are working on my car! "The negotiator " (owner) . The "Grinder" I heard him say " I pick up grinder, I grind, I put down ".....O ' God and there is the "Bean counter "...

Jack:

What the heck are you doing?? Are you gonna change your car over to a Rally Red/Red car to impress more younger girls on your next adventure?? Why no wheels on the car??

Give us the scoop..............

Larry
Old 05-01-2016, 12:02 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jackfit

Stay tuned

Jack

Jack,

Sounds something like the old Akroid/Belushi skit from SNL. Cheese burgie cheese burgie, Petsie petsie!

Do they at least plan to cover your interior when they paint it?

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 05-01-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Now that's what I call "project creep" - going from a fuel sending unit to a paint job!
Old 05-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Jack:

What the heck are you doing?? Are you gonna change your car over to a Rally Red/Red car to impress more younger girls on your next adventure?? Why no wheels on the car??

Give us the scoop..............

Larry
Good question! I will ask the "Grinder" when he puts down the grinder.

See " car is packed 48 states await " post got the rest of the story!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-await-96.html

Last edited by Jackfit; 05-02-2016 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Fuel Sending Unit ?