C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help me out with what its worth

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 05:27 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,473 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Having read all the above and see the right and wrong, my number is $47-$50. Dennis
Old 04-26-2016, 07:34 PM
Firemedic1966
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the input, and I have looking high and low as well ( checking ebay-carsonline.com-racing junk-craigslist) at least twice a day. One poster stated "good cars go quick" and believe me...They do. In my searching One example (not a corvette, but a 70 Chevelle SS 396 three owner documented full history numbers matching build sheet warranty plate very presentable very clean showed well in photos for $27K) spoke with the somewhat local seller, sent me a video of the car, and sounded like a good driver quality car. It sold the next day.

Maybe its just the chicago area right now...but the majority of cars for sale seem to be on the higher side. Searching thru the above mentioned classified, There are a few cars that sound great on paper, but are a total disappointment. Unfortunately due to my schedule I can't run off for a ten hour drive, only to be disappointed by a seller that has embellished the condition of the car for sale (case in point, 65 coupe with great photos, was excited to see the car, and turns out the photos posted were from when the current owner purchased it four years prior....A LOT happend to that car within four years )

Lets face it, 50K is a lot of money any way you look at it. I am just trying to find a nice weekend cruiser. In the past I have built what my friends call garage ornaments....A driver quality car that I would SWEAR to my friends and wife I will just drive and have fun with. Next thing I know the car is partially disassembled a week later, and within a year, I would have a well put together, every nut and bolt detailed trailer queen that I didnt want to drive due to the amount of time-sweat equity-money involved.

Thank you for all the replies!
Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

If you really want a driver, always resist the temptation to make it anything else, you will be happier that way, good luck!
Old 04-29-2016, 06:02 PM
Firemedic1966
Advanced

Seller just raised his price by $2,000...His logic was "what everything else is selling for"
Sure, there is a LOT for sale, but not a lot of buyers.
Not interested in that corvette Anymore and will keep looking
Thanks!
Old 04-30-2016, 02:34 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I think he confused asking and selling... still, it made your decision a whole lot easier!
Old 04-30-2016, 08:25 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 251 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...555808784.html

No affiliation, but it's not too far from me if it sounds interesting.

Todd
Old 04-30-2016, 09:29 AM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
Looks like a really nice clean, well done driver, if it starts, runs, and operates like new (no smoke, hesitation, noise, etc.) it is worth $45-48K, IMO
Old 04-30-2016, 10:04 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Askhim how many of them have cash in hand thats what its wort
If you really like it and can get him down a bit why not.
Buying a nice frame off is the way to go the hard stuffs done!
Old 05-01-2016, 10:23 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Whats it worth /

Originally Posted by Firemedic1966
Hi everyone...Owned several C1-C2's back in the day, and due to life and its circumstances have been Vette-less for the past few years. Yes, I miss the hobby and addiction!

Luckily I am in a position to possibly purchase a semi restored C2. The car is not top flight, but a frame off restored, clean, numbers matching roadster.

My question is with an exterior and interior color change, how much does it affect the overall value? The car was originally blue exterior/black interior and it is now red on red.

I am not going to disclose the asking price, but the car seems to be on the high end of the spectrum price wise. I have been looking for about 6 months now, and have looked at a few cars, but nothing that really grabbed my attention. The above mentioned roadster has, but with the market being what it is, and spending a high dollar, one needs to be cautious.

Part of me wants to throw caution to the wind and pull the trigger, but at the same time I also want to get the most for my money, and if god forbid something happens to where I had to sell the car, I dont want to take it in the shorts due to different body color-interior.

Years ago when the cars seemed more affordable, this would not have mattered, but now spending over $50k....I am just thinking ahead long term.

I already know, some will say it doesnt matter, some will say of course it matters....But my priority is to have another C2 in the garage soon!

Thanks in advance!
I would say $5-8,000 high
Old 05-02-2016, 12:26 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Seller just raised his price by $2,000...His logic was "what everything else is selling for"
Sure, there is a LOT for sale, but not a lot of buyers.
Not interested in that corvette Anymore and will keep looking
Thanks!
You would be surprised at the attitude changes by sellers when someone actually shows up at their house with an empty trailer and money in their pocket.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:58 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

I appreciate the input, and I have looking high and low as well ( checking ebay-carsonline.com-racing junk-craigslist) at least twice a day. One poster stated "good cars go quick" and believe me...They do. In my searching One example (not a corvette, but a 70 Chevelle SS 396 three owner documented full history numbers matching build sheet warranty plate very presentable very clean showed well in photos for $27K) spoke with the somewhat local seller, sent me a video of the car, and sounded like a good driver quality car. It sold the next day.

Maybe its just the chicago area right now...but the majority of cars for sale seem to be on the higher side. Searching thru the above mentioned classified, There are a few cars that sound great on paper, but are a total disappointment. Unfortunately due to my schedule I can't run off for a ten hour drive, only to be disappointed by a seller that has embellished the condition of the car for sale (case in point, 65 coupe with great photos, was excited to see the car, and turns out the photos posted were from when the current owner purchased it four years prior....A LOT happend to that car within four years )

Lets face it, 50K is a lot of money any way you look at it. I am just trying to find a nice weekend cruiser. In the past I have built what my friends call garage ornaments....A driver quality car that I would SWEAR to my friends and wife I will just drive and have fun with. Next thing I know the car is partially disassembled a week later, and within a year, I would have a well put together, every nut and bolt detailed trailer queen that I didnt want to drive due to the amount of time-sweat equity-money involved.

Thank you for all the replies!
Hi If you want me to talk to the seller for you i would be glad to
Old 05-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
You would be surprised at the attitude changes by sellers when someone actually shows up at their house with an empty trailer and money in their pocket.
The money is a good idea, but I would park the trailer a ways off.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:12 PM
Firemedic1966
Advanced

I have pretty much given up on the one listed on craigslist
Went and looked at this today
https://www.carsforsale.com/used-car.../details/97220
Thought it was priced a little high for a 64 300hp, but it was local so I went for a peek.

When I got there...the car was covered in dust and cobwebs. With an initial walk around the body had stress cracks in fiberglass, chips and scratches all over, dull and pitted brightwork, and a puddle of oil under the engine. The doors sagged, the hood did not fit right, and the fiberglass around the headlight door inserts looked wavy. Aftermarket KO wheels, pitted bumpers, and a dead battery to boot.

After an initial walk around I had seen enough. No distributor shield, incorrect air cleaner/water pump/fan....I didnt bother to check the frame/birdcage/or want to hear it run.

Am I being out of line? $54,900???? Very far from fair in my opinion. It seems like C2's are going up 5k a week. I am facing the facts that I might be priced out of the market for one.

I will continue to look and thank you for all of your opinions and assistance.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:22 AM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

IMO, if you want to turn the key and drive it, you'll spend at least $60k. If you want to spend $65k+ and three years of frustration, then buy one of those turd boxes I see at $35k.

I've never enjoyed that process, but some do. Summer is upon us, buy a good/done car, and have a one car parade on Memorial Day.

Most of us are middle age plus. Some of us learned the hard way that obsessing over long term planning is fool's work. Enjoy the day.

Last edited by 64luke; 05-05-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:46 AM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Enjoy the driving season

I have been there too. Working on the car while everyone else is driving around in the nice weather. Done that. I spent a little extra this time and bought a car that I got in and drove 6K trouble free miles last summer. Plan to do it again this summer if I do not sell it. I win either way. Once we are settled in Fl. I am sure I will have one to work on, and have fun with. It is in the blood.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Wow - that thing is way up there price-wise. A few Florida NCRS regionals back a fella had a red/black '64, fuelie, convertible in the car corral he wanted $58K for. You could eat off the motor and it presented as new. C2s seem to be floating upwards, C1s are going the other way...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-05-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I am not speaking for the rest, but for myself...
I have $50K + $2K for shipping. That is all I got. I am not trying to get one on the cheap. The problem is, I am a puppy trying to run with the big dogs. Maybe I shouldn't be but it is what it is.
If I had a little more to put in, I would, but at 48 with 2 kids and a wife... that is all I can do without affecting "family" money.... which the wife says is a no-no (and she is right... these are toys after all). If it was a daily driver c5-c7... maybe but that is not my passion so, I'll wait till the right car finds me or... I'll take up stamp collecting instead.

I am not asking for a Top flight car for a nickle... But when the Corvette brotherhood laments that there are no younger guys coming on board, this is one of the reasons.

Not crying, just saying.

Last edited by Revfan; 05-05-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me out with what its worth

Old 05-05-2016, 08:48 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,019 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
I am not speaking for the rest, but for myself...
I have $50K + $2K for shipping. That is all I got. I am not trying to get one on the cheap. The problem is, I am a puppy trying to run with the big dogs. Maybe I shouldn't be but it is what it is.
If I had a little more to put in, I would, but at 48 with 2 kids and a wife... that is all I can do without affecting "family" money.... which the wife says is a no-no (and she is right... these are toys after all). If it was a daily driver c5-c7... maybe but that is not my passion so, I'll wait till the right car finds me or... I'll take up stamp collecting instead.

I am not asking for a Top flight car for a nickle... But when the Corvette brotherhood laments that there are no younger guys coming on board, this is one of the reasons.

Not crying, just saying.
I hear what you are saying but I believe your price point is fine and that it is only a matter of time before you hit on the car you are looking for. Alot of times sellers are not seriously for sale, just throwing s h!t against the wall hoping it sticks. I dont know where you are located but at Carlyle I would be shocked if you didnt find a solid value car. Alot of those cars for sale there had to be lugged or driven a great distance and the sellers dont want to have to take them back home.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:00 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Default c2 s

Right now it seems like every 64/65 roadster is 40-50k on the low end of the spectrum reguardless of condition. I have seen basket case rollers for 30k, and modest drivers priced at 50k. Believe me. I have been looking for awhile and was in sticker shock for awhile compaired what they were priced at 5 years ago.

Honestly getting tired of reading the following in classifieds
Testing waters/dont need to sell/investment quality/these cars increase in value 5-10% a year/ etc

Just seeking a nice c2 roadster again and dont want to get my *** chapped on the price! lol
Is there a corvette club in your area ? with any c2s in it . Or consider joining Classic corvettes of orlando Specializing in the old cars. Chances are what you buy now might be a lot but chances are in a few years it will probably sell for more even with a color change . Some people are glad to get a nice car but save thousands because of something like that .Classics will probably hot for a long time . Antique peices of history. I love them
Old 05-05-2016, 09:11 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,958 Likes on 891 Posts

Guy's got a beautiful '67 coupe for sale right here on the forum.

55K for a well documented car.

Pat
The following users liked this post:
oldgold49er (05-06-2016)

Quick Reply: Help me out with what its worth