C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 differential support question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:47 AM
crossram
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 67 differential support question

This is a question about the differential support that has one large bushing on either end. Is it supposed to bolt flush at the top when tightened? I can still get a finger in between it and the frame.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:44 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Can't tell you why - but that is typical. My original bushings are the same way.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am assuming your are referring to the front differential mount bushings.

The TOP bushing has a shoulder on it that will fit in the hole in the frame...and when it goes through the frame....the LARGE rubber bushing that looks like a hockey puck then interlock with it. Then..the metal support that is bolted to your rear differential then presses up against the 'hockey puck' bushing....and then the bolt goes through all of this and then a large steel washer and lock washer and nut get installed from the underside. and then gets tightened.

SO..when you feel the top rubber bushing with the thick steel washer on it...it SHOULD NOT be totally compressed by the design of it....thus...the space is basically the thickness of the TOP rubber bushing.

DUB
Old 05-10-2016, 07:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by crossram
This is a question about the differential support that has one large bushing on either end. Is it supposed to bolt flush at the top when tightened? I can still get a finger in between it and the frame.
That's perfectly normal - the rear suspension support crossmember bushings are designed that way.
The following users liked this post:
Craftsman51 (05-10-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 67 differential support question

Quick Reply: 67 differential support question