C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is your buying strategy on a car not for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:46 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

My '65 wasn't for sale when I first talked to the PO.
I think us keeping the sale quiet was a factor to the PO.

I wouldn't talk to the guy's wife unless he was present. I also wouldn't mention price to her at all.

It's not her car, and it's none of her business. If a potential buyer did that to me, I'd be very upset.

Not sure if it's codified, but that's a pretty big "bro code" violation...

Carter
Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 71scgc
My '65 wasn't for sale when I first talked to the PO.
I think us keeping the sale quiet was a factor to the PO.

I wouldn't talk to the guy's wife unless he was present. I also wouldn't mention price to her at all.

It's not her car, and it's none of her business. If a potential buyer did that to me, I'd be very upset.

Not sure if it's codified, but that's a pretty big "bro code" violation...

Carter
Girlfriend yes... Wife not so much. Then again my wife reminds me several times her name is not on the title.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:50 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
Girlfriend yes... Wife not so much. Then again my wife reminds me several times her name is not on the title.
You live in a community property state so even if you owned the car before you were married, if you ever paid for license/insurance/gas/oil/wax etc. out of a joint bank account, it's half hers regardless of whether her name is on the title. The courts call it "commingling of funds". Everything related to that car must be paid for out of an account that is in your name only, and you have to be able prove it. I found this out the hard way. It was a very expensive lesson.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:59 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

OUCH!
dont ya sometimes wish marriage laws would be reversed meaning we had theri rights? None of them would marry at all, perfect.

Made the mistake (wont post all it was $ bad) of financing a car for a then supposed fiance...pretty expensive one too.

Reg loan etc all in my name only-wound up getting stuck with all the payments, repair costs, reg ins oh and red light camera tickets too.
Tried to get the car back Sheriff said if they have a key its auto theft if I try to get it back.
Finally did get it...along with a trunk full of fertilizer a gas can with some wires hanging out. Thanks! LOL

Last edited by cv67; 05-20-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:06 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1snake
You live in a community property state so even if you owned the car before you were married, if you ever paid for license/insurance/gas/oil/wax etc. out of a joint bank account, it's half hers regardless of whether her name is on the title. The courts call it "commingling of funds". Everything related to that car must be paid for out of an account that is in your name only, and you have to be able prove it. I found this out the hard way. It was a very expensive lesson.
No worries we are stuck with each other for a long time...
Old 05-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Likewise - 49 years with the same gal....
If some joker went to her about encouraging the sale of one of my cars (or anything for that matter) he/she would get an earful
Old 05-20-2016, 11:19 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

I thought that too.
A good friend of mine had a nice collection of cars. His wife of 40 years was contacted by an old boyfriend on Facebook. 3 months later he has to sell everything because she filed for a divorce and married her old flame. **** happens when you least expect it. That's why, when I got remarried, we have an iron clad prenup and have our separate accounts as well as a joint one for running the household.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

We sort of fell into the separate account deal over the years unintentionally....hers, mine, a household account and a vacation/fun account - the last two being joint...

Even so, after 1/2 century together, everything I own is half hers anyway...
Neither of us initially brought anything to the marriage except the clothes on our backs and love..

She doesn't bother me about my car expenditures (but I don't keep them secret) and I don't fuss when she totes home a $1,200 sewing machine...as long as she pays for it.

At 65 years old in two weeks; I will be down to one classic car by the 66th birthday.
That's enough for me...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-20-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Ohhhh crap......I see the '61 teetering on the edge of the abyss! Sell the SWC and keep the wife happy, Frank!
Old 05-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Ohhhh crap......I see the '61 teetering on the edge of the abyss! Sell the SWC and keep the wife happy, Frank!
I'm gonna park the '61 in the yard out front and let the air out of two tires and throw leaves on it and let everybody stop buy to ask me if its for sale and then tell then, "No!". And when they try to entice me with a fistful of cash, I'll say "Hell, no!".

But it might be someday if those same folks will mow my lawn, wash the car, get it running, let me ride in their Corvettes and all that other free benefits I'm seeing here...
Old 05-20-2016, 12:03 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I just spit out my coffee, Frank. Hilarious! Here's an idea: Since you only want the headache of maintaining/driving one classic car, build a display area inside your home for the SWC. Pickle the car, remove the battery, and you can sit back and enjoy your work of art as you sit in your living room. The '61 can be driven and flogged....it's the wild one, anyway. The '63 would look good just sitting there, inside your nice climate controlled house. It's a win-win....the SWC is preserved for future generations, but you can visually appreciate it every day, and the '61 is the only one you need to keep on the road. Hell, every 3 or 4 years, you can post both of them here under 'what're my cars worth...I'm thinking of selling." !
Old 05-20-2016, 01:12 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

Old 05-20-2016, 02:33 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

One the other side of this ...

I have a 1964 Buick Riviera that I have just decided to sell (after 13 years of ownership) simply because I don't have the room to keep both it and the Sting Ray out of the elements. Though I have struggled and finally came to terms about letting it go I am absolutely not at all looking forward to dealing with people about it. I dunno, something about having strangers tell you what's wrong with something that you have an attachment to (and chances are you know what's wrong with it and if you're a decent person you'll divulge all of that before the sale). It's heavily insured, I would almost rather deal with the insurance company due to it's theft than deal with some potential buyer who's allegedly "built hundreds of high-performance race cars".

Ray
Old 05-20-2016, 03:30 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Ray you nailed it, youre insured so-pick one and drive it everday everywhere get some use out of it you wont feel so bad about selling it after things start piling up that need to be fixed.

On selling ive always stated clearly $XXX this IS the price
take it or leave it when they start up with their horsecrap I end the conversation and hang up. They almost always call back.

Your Buicks a well known "cool" car shouldnt take much effort to sell. Unless youre $kyhigh someone that knows what the car is will step up

Most are rotten to death anyways tell em to find another one they are on every corner right? Sometimes people want what they are told they cant have and pay

Last edited by cv67; 05-20-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:49 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

There is always the old fashioned way. Have 3-4 old school Guidos in fedoras accost him sometime and tell him they have an offer he can't refuse on his car.

Though that probably has a better chance of working in NJ or NY...

Doug

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You are going to have to admit that there is a cadre of owners whose chief joy in owning an old, (usually project-status) car is having other people want it. They are never gonna sell; they are never gonna restore it. They'll drop an occasional 'teaser' to make you think they might but these types just never will.

They 'get off' having people stop by and inquire about it/desire it and they have no intention of doing anything with the car beyond attracting some attention under pretty much 'false' pretenses.

Getting a car running for such a person will just increase his/her arsenal of goodies that make the car even more desirable and you still won't get it. You may even get into some liability issues with the more cantankerous types.

I've had a triple black, rust-free, convertible, '67 GTO, with a racing history, in a garage across the street for 11 years now that the owner's widow won't sell because her 'nephew' (who knows nothing about cars and lives in Ohio) is gonna get it running some day. Went through the same thing with the 85 year old owner of a split window in a Florida basement with all the parts in boxes scattered about.

At some point you quit chasing it and playing this weird game unless you haven't anything better to do. Hard to sort out this type from real potential sellers but once you do, quit embarrassing yourself and exit the field.

I'm not gonna belittle myself or pretend to be somebody's concerned 'friend' or suck azz to buy an old car.

"Never wrestle with a pig; you get dirty and the pig likes it..."
Old 05-20-2016, 07:53 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

You tell them this is the price, take it or leave it, i don't want to hear about what you think is wrong with in, the price is firm, buy it or leave.

And when they ask what your best price is, name a price $10K higher than you originally asked for.

What is really annoying, is when you have something that isn't for sale, and someone makes an offer on it, and you finally say yes, THEN they start picking it apart looking for you to accept a price lower than their original offer.

Doug

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
One the other side of this ...

I have a 1964 Buick Riviera that I have just decided to sell (after 13 years of ownership) simply because I don't have the room to keep both it and the Sting Ray out of the elements. Though I have struggled and finally came to terms about letting it go I am absolutely not at all looking forward to dealing with people about it. I dunno, something about having strangers tell you what's wrong with something that you have an attachment to (and chances are you know what's wrong with it and if you're a decent person you'll divulge all of that before the sale). It's heavily insured, I would almost rather deal with the insurance company due to it's theft than deal with some potential buyer who's allegedly "built hundreds of high-performance race cars".

Ray
Old 05-20-2016, 07:56 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Ok guys, I am an actual Veteran so I can pull this off!

And Handicapped!!!!!!, but show up in my wheelchair with cash in hand and with some of my Veterans garb on and make the offer on the car!

So who here would then sell? Let me have it good, for the creative purchasing tragedy!!!

Get notified of new replies

To What is your buying strategy on a car not for sale?

Old 05-20-2016, 08:04 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AZDoug
You tell them this is the price, take it or leave it, i don't want to hear about what you think is wrong with in, the price is firm, buy it or leave.

And when they ask what your best price is, name a price $10K higher than you originally asked for.

What is really annoying, is when you have something that isn't for sale, and someone makes an offer on it, and you finally say yes, THEN they start picking it apart looking for you to accept a price lower than their original offer.

Doug
When I have something for sale, I price it fairly and have never lowered the price. If it's not for sale but someone wants it, the price gets much higher than a true market price. I had only finished my 65 1 month prior and had put less than 100 miles on it when, at a car show, I got approached by someone that wanted it. He bought it for a lot above market value because he and his wife loved it. No big deal. Cars can be easily replaced. I laugh at those that say "I wouldn't sell it for a million dollars". Seriously? Are they really that stupid? Would you turn down $100 for your favorite $1 bill? I don't think so.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:29 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I could now never sell a beloved car without being on meds!

Or have pre-paid therapy set up!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-20-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:51 PM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
I'm decent at reading people, and I don't think he is the kind of guy that strings people along just for prestige. He made a comment one time when I stopped that he sold his Harley when he was 23 and has never had another one and he knows once the vette is gone he will never have another one. I think money might be a factor because he was talking about going back to work after retiring and when I made my offer he commented he could reconsider retirement. I feel you have to plant the seed and give it time to grow, but as another said time will ultimately work against you. I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts.
Jason, if money need is a serious concern of the owner and selling the car could help him avoid going back to work, I would guess that he is not in a strong financial situation.....even a fairly valuable old classic car would not make a big difference to the retirement finances of many folks unless it was worth maybe $100K +.

I'd say stay in contact with him without being a PITA.

Good luck, Doug
The following users liked this post:
jasonsamara (05-20-2016)

Quick Reply: What is your buying strategy on a car not for sale?