C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 shifter bracket bolts tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 1964 shifter bracket bolts tips needed

Hello all,

One of the bolts holding triangular shifter bracket onto the transmission fell out causing some problems with shifting!

I got some new bolts-these are beveled with an allan key insert. I managed to get the second bolt in, but I can't get enough clearance to really get either one tight.

I cut a piece off an allan key and was turning it with a wrench but after dropping it a dozen times I gave up for now, still need to get a few turns on each ne.

I changed the clutch a few years ago and I can't remember how I put this together. I guess I put the bracket on out of the car.

The shifter is blocking good access, I took out one bolt out and that helps move the shifter a bit. The other bolt seems impossible to access. I also have no idea how I got that one on

Would removing the shift rods from the transmission help give the shifter more play?

Any tips are appreciated, I want to get these tight so they don't fall out again as it is kind of inconvenient.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:25 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
Hello all,

One of the bolts holding triangular shifter bracket onto the transmission fell out causing some problems with shifting!

I got some new bolts-these are beveled with an allan key insert. I managed to get the second bolt in, but I can't get enough clearance to really get either one tight.

I cut a piece off an allan key and was turning it with a wrench but after dropping it a dozen times I gave up for now, still need to get a few turns on each ne.

I changed the clutch a few years ago and I can't remember how I put this together. I guess I put the bracket on out of the car.

The shifter is blocking good access, I took out one bolt out and that helps move the shifter a bit. The other bolt seems impossible to access. I also have no idea how I got that one on

Would removing the shift rods from the transmission help give the shifter more play?

Any tips are appreciated, I want to get these tight so they don't fall out again as it is kind of inconvenient.

Thanks in advance!
Most do remove the shifter to access the mounting bracket, for installation or removal. Typically the mounting bracket is the first item installed and/or the last item removed from the transmission. Be sure to use some Loctite on the bolts when you install them.
Removing the linkage should give you some additional room to maneuver your tools.

Do you know the size of the allen wrench that fits in your bolts?

Cut a length of allen wrench the length you need and find a ratchet wrench (buy, borrow etc) the size you need to fit the allen wrench and try tightening it with that.

If there is room, you could also try a 1/4" ratchet with the correct size socket on your length of allen wrench and use that.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 05-28-2016, 05:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you are having a clearance issue..I usually remove the transmission mount so the transmission will drop down and then I can get to what I need to get to....and if you have the exhaust hanger bracket attached also....it needs to come off also....OR....mess with the Allen wrench you modified for some time.

By dropping the rear of the transmission down..I can get to all I need to remove the shifter and anything that would not be normally accessible when it is correctly installed.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 shifter bracket bolts tips needed

Quick Reply: 1964 shifter bracket bolts tips needed