C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

design flaw in C2 soft top frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 03:47 PM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Default design flaw in C2 soft top frame

My original soft top has a hole worn through the liner in a common location. The culprit is a protruding "appendix" with a small rivet that seems to serve no purpose and this occurs on both sides just above the seat backs. I tried determining if it is some kind of stop but the fabric gets in the way when folding and I've never had the fabric off. These photos are on the passenger side. I wrapped both with a heavy dose of electrical tape, hoping to reduce the abrasion before it goes all the way through. Any ideas why this destructive protrusion is there?

Old 05-30-2016, 01:53 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello
Frame possible bent from accident or twisted. Mine was.

Good Luck

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 05-30-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:59 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I know nothing about C2 tops but that appears to be a stop for the bow. It probably positions the bow when the top is lowered. Rather than padding the stud you might try applying some form of rub material to the top with contact adhesive.

But - I have a suspicion that what is rubbing the hole is the bottom of the bow seen in the lower picture. It looks like it's rubbing a similar hole in the raised position. I bet the other hole is where is rests in the folded position. You might have more luck padding the corner on the end of that bow. Don't know why that area couldn't be flattened when ever the top gets replaced. The stud you mentioned is probably shielded somewhat by the bow laying on top of it when the top is folded. I doubt it's the problem - but I well could be wrong.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 05-30-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:31 AM
survivor66
Racer

Great observation Dan. I hadn't noticed the other hole until you pointed it out. What surprises me most is the lack of other comments on this issue, since I believe it is pretty widespread. Some clever person has a solution and is holding out... btw, the 50 year old top is in otherwise very good condition so I don't plan to ever replace it!
Old 05-30-2016, 01:56 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Probably the reason you aren't getting much response is that no one has an original top or one anywhere nearly that old. That's quite remarkable. But this will send you back to the top so maybe someone will weigh in.

Good luck with preserving it.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:22 PM
oldpainter
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts

My 20 year old top is just the same, that pad is pretty thick, but my hole has a ways to go before clear thru. Next top I'll see if I can smooth that end off a little bit. I'll do something like you did to keep it from rubbing any more.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You could prob find a little plastic cap to go over that nub and that might help...C1s/C2s seem to have distinct 'pinch points' on the tops that are problems when the tops are 'stacked' in the storage well. I have a whole routine on my C1 where I put my hand inside the partially folded bows and 'karate chop' the top material out of the obvious pinch points before lowering the ***'y completely and that has saved a lot of problems. Might not work in this case. I also put a folded, white washcloth on the outside in between the bows so the folded 'stack' isn't as tight. It means I have to push on the deck lid a little to close things up but that has been less harmful than the top getting boogered up.

But really ? At the end of the day you have a 1/2 century old, original top with a little frayed spot in it that's not even a hole ? I wouldn't call that a design flaw by a long shot...

As my brother often tells me, "You're hollerin' before you're hit!"

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-31-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:54 PM
survivor66
Racer

It's the good and the bad of "survivorship". I try to keep the original parts functioning the way they were made, and at the same time enjoy driving the car. Saves money buying overpriced parts but unnerving when stuff starts to go bad. The car already has the awards and documentation out the wazoo, so nothing left but tender loving care and enjoy the occasional ride.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by survivor66
It's the good and the bad of "survivorship". I try to keep the original parts functioning the way they were made, and at the same time enjoy driving the car. Saves money buying overpriced parts but unnerving when stuff starts to go bad. The car already has the awards and documentation out the wazoo, so nothing left but tender loving care and enjoy the occasional ride.
I totally 'get it'....
The following users liked this post:
Tloner (06-02-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 07:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I know nothing about C2 tops but that appears to be a stop for the bow. It probably positions the bow when the top is lowered.
Because if you look at the second photo...you can see where the bow above where the stud is ....and a worn spot on it showing how it is slightly dished out on the left edge of the bow.

DUB
Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 PM
survivor66
Racer

Good eye Dub. I suppose we all can agree the General didn't design this part for 50 years down the road! Nor many others for that matter.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:19 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

From your pictures however, that top frame looks to be in amazing condition - no sign of surface rust that I see. It could pass for a frame that's just a couple years old. It that is an indication of the rest of the car's condition, it must be a really nice original.
The following users liked this post:
survivor66 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 07:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
From your pictures however, that top frame looks to be in amazing condition - no sign of surface rust that I see. It could pass for a frame that's just a couple years old. It that is an indication of the rest of the car's condition, it must be a really nice original.
Normally I see rust powder coming out if where the rivets hold the linkages together....this frame looks really good.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To design flaw in C2 soft top frame

Quick Reply: design flaw in C2 soft top frame