C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] AC Information wanted for mods and body heat/sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Vitaminmopar
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts
Default AC Information wanted for mods and body heat/sound

Looking for information on how to restore and update the factory AC system in my 64 coupe while I currently have the body off the frame. This coupe has not run since the 80’s and the system has been open for I don’t know how long. I searched the forums with limited results, most results are C5-C7 related. I figure there has to be stickys, archive tech articles or user threads that would point me to information on the C2s. Can someone please point me to this information? The search terms I used were
C2 AC system
Air Conditioning updates
Air conditioning modifications
Body insulation
I am aware of Michael J Davis’s book titled Air Conditioning Strategies for the 63-82 Corvette but out of print and available copies are expensive. Also may be of limited use since it is nearly 20 years since it was printed.
Thanks for any input.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I will be back..I am looking up something for you.

DUB
Old 07-11-2016, 06:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Check out this thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...th-my-a-c.html

Get a hold of 'powershift'.

So much depends on how you want it to look. Either you like the look of the evaporator core case on the firewall and keep it...or want to put in a Vintage Air system (which can be a bit of fun).

Changing compressor designs...and possibly installing an electric cooling fan that will come on when the A/C is being used.

AS for insulation .....there are MANY thoughts and views on this subject. I myself...when I am working on a Corvette like yours and even newer. I take all of the firewall mat and factory crap out and install DynaMat Extreme...and the DynaPad. So...the entire firewall, transmission tunnel and all the way back to the rear seat mounting bolts is covered in these two products. This step GREATLY reduces radiant heat.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
1974CorvetteJimCr (07-15-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Vitaminmopar
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts

Dub thanks for the leading me to what I was looking for. I did some preliminary looking through the links, looks like a fair amount of drilling to get the information out. Hopefully I will run across information on how to rebuild the underdash box seals and flap doors. I did see where someone had insulated the inside of the evap core. Hopefully there will be some information in the threads on POA and other upgrades. I am not that concerned about originalty, even though my car is a matching numbers drive train with 365 hp engine. The body is the weak link, a bondo everwhere queen. thanks again.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:40 AM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitaminmopar
Looking for information on how to restore and update the factory AC system in my 64 coupe while I currently have the body off the frame. This coupe has not run since the 80’s and the system has been open for I don’t know how long. I searched the forums with limited results, most results are C5-C7 related. I figure there has to be stickys, archive tech articles or user threads that would point me to information on the C2s. Can someone please point me to this information? The search terms I used were
C2 AC system
Air Conditioning updates
Air conditioning modifications
Body insulation
I am aware of Michael J Davis’s book titled Air Conditioning Strategies for the 63-82 Corvette but out of print and available copies are expensive. Also may be of limited use since it is nearly 20 years since it was printed.
Thanks for any input.
I have a '67 with factory air and I did quite a bit of research before I rebuilt the system a few years ago. Following are some thoughts:

1) I bought the Michael Davis book and found it moderately useful. Perhaps the most useful insight is to consider the effect of even a small leak of 200 degree engine compartment air into the passenger cabin. It takes only a small amount of 200 degree air to defeat quite a bit of cool A/C air. So, careful attention should be given to preventing even small amounts of hot air from entering the A/C system or the passenger cabin.

2) Fully insulate the firewall and the floor using the best products you can find.

3) If originality is not a concern, install manual cutoff valves in both heater hoses. The idea is to guarantee that hot coolant does not get into the heater core (which is co-located with the A/C air handler).

4) Get the STV valve, expansion valve, drier, and the compressor rebuilt/tested. Install a new evaporator core while the body is off (doing it with the body on is the worst Corvette task I have ever performed).

5) Rebuilding the under-dash air handler is easy and new seal kits are available from aftermarket Corvette suppliers.

6) Lastly, think carefully about staying with R12 or converting to R134. A system that was designed for R12 has controls (STV and expansion valve) that are optimized for R12. Simply substituting R134 will lead to a *theoretical* reduction in cooling efficiency. Some vendors say they can re-calibrate the controls to work well with R-134. Some people say that even without re-calibration, the difference is so small you won't notice it. I got spooked and stayed with R12, but it means you will have to service the system yourself. Most shops won't touch an R12 system these days because they are supposed to recover and recycle all refrigerent removed from a system, and they no longer have the R12 equipment.

I hope this helps you get oriented. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. I am not an A/C expert but I did go through the rebuild process once on my '67. In my view the resulting A/C performance is just barely adequate for really hot weather (such as 2400 miles on the NCRS Road Tour in 98 degree weather), but it managed to keep my wife from bailing out. She says she had a great time, so that made all the A/C work worthwhile.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Information wanted for mods and body heat/sound

Quick Reply: [C2] AC Information wanted for mods and body heat/sound