C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

keep it red or go back to white

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:03 AM
number3
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
While resale red looks nice if you are going to repaint the car and are concerned about a future sale than I would go back to the original color.

Be advised this color change will require a complete stripping of the red off the car. Nothing worst than walking are freshly painted white car and seeing tell-tell signs it used to be red.
I know what your saying cause there are places that werent prepped right where i can see white where its been chipped
Old 07-23-2016, 09:07 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by number3
I bought a 65 vert all numbers matching car the only problem is somewhere along the line someone repainted it red .
I think as you said the only problem is the color doesn't match the trim tag. If you're going to repaint it then take care of the only problem.
The following users liked this post:
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:07 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

As others have said, if you're going to the trouble and expense of repainting an other wise stock Corvette, the smart choice value wise, is to paint it it's original color.

In my opinion, white with a black gut, may be the least desirable of all color combinations. I'd be inclined to repaint the car white, and then see what I could do to add some "pop" to it. Goldlines and knock-offs, would add a little color and flash, and I might try a tan soft top too. It would add more color and interest to the car. A tan top would work well with the goldlines too.
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks for all the good advice guys . These are the things i have to consider , 1 it will be less expensive to paint the car red due to all the jams and hidden parts are already red. If i go white i'll have to spend a substantial amount more to have all those areas done again in white. 2 If i do decide to sell will i recoup that extra expense ? 3 How many people nowadays are really concerned about the tag matching issue ? someone may be looking for a matching numbers/tag car but like some have indicated white isnt really that popular, and if i go to a better quality white that really pops but isnt the original ermine will it still be considered matching ? TIA
if they care about numbers matching they care about the paint matching the trim tag
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:15 AM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

White with K/O's and redlines is beautiful .. regardless of interior.
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 AM
number3
Pro

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
if they care about numbers matching they care about the paint matching the trim tag
if i dont go with the ermine white but a white that adds a little more flash will that hurt or help ?

Last edited by number3; 07-23-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:29 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

if i dont go with the ermine white but a white that adds a little more flash will that hurt or help ?
Why split hairs? If you're going to repaint it white why not repaint it the correct color? You're doing it for value right? It seems like you're caught between it being correct and being a color that you like. It's your car do what makes you happy then and not worry about resale.

Last edited by 3JsVette; 07-23-2016 at 10:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3JsVette:
Lotsacubes (07-23-2016), number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

a little flash will hurt and its still not the original color no mater what shade of white. if you have no plans on selling the car just paint it what ever color you like. I for one don't like white cars unless it has white interior
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:56 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,689 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by karkrafter
White with K/O's and redlines is beautiful .. regardless of interior.
Same with goldlines
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:00 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I'm with gbvette62....I don't mind white at all...not my favorite, but it can be sharp with a white, red, or blue interior. Black interiors do nothing for a white car. Perhaps you could change the interior? If the interior is nice, not a good idea. Also, it will 'de-value' the car. Me, if it were my car, I'd paint it correct white, put white seats and door panels in it, leaving the rest black, and install redline tires. The white seats and panels would bring out the car's insides, and add contrast. The good thing about white paint is that it hides minor body flaws, looks clean when dirty, and holds up very well. If your car is presentable now in red, heck, just drive it!
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for all the good advice guys . These are the things i have to consider , 1 it will be less expensive to paint the car red due to all the jams and hidden parts are already red. If i go white i'll have to spend a substantial amount more to have all those areas done again in white. 2 If i do decide to sell will i recoup that extra expense ? 3 How many people nowadays are really concerned about the tag matching issue ? someone may be looking for a matching numbers/tag car but like some have indicated white isnt really that popular, and if i go to a better quality white that really pops but isnt the original ermine will it still be considered matching ? TIA
Probably not.

Here's how I see it.

I don't know what it's going to cost you in your neck of the woods to get your car painted, but where I live (SoCal) it's a minimum of $15,000.00 and can go to $20,000.00 easily. So, depending on what you already have into the car and what the cost of paint job is, I think it is unlikely that you'll get anything back on the paint job. In other words it'll be a net loss no matter what color you paint it.

If you are definitely going to sell the car it would probably be more profitable if you didn't paint it at all unless you are going to do the work yourself or have a friend/relative do it for a price.

Having said all of that, if you are going to paint the car regardless of whether you plan to sell it or not I would go with the original color but with the knowledge that it is probably not going to reap any profits.

Last edited by Bowlerdude; 07-23-2016 at 12:54 PM.
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

So... Why did YOU buy a red, non-matching car?
Old 07-23-2016, 01:07 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
Very interesting question!!
Old 07-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Just to add to the opinion on white cars.

One of the best looking 67 coupes I've ever seen was a white BB 400 HP car that had a blue stinger and white/blue interior. It was quite stunning imo.
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 01:25 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've been reading posts like this for a long time and I have to vent a little. Do you ever find yourself going into the garage and seeing your car and thinking I can't believe I own such a beautiful car? I've owned my '63 for about 9 years and I still do that quite often.

I happen to have a custom paint job on mine, but I know there are others that have stock paint that do the same thing. To me if your car doesn't impress you, what's the point?

These cars are a poor way to invest your money. If your main goal is to make money I suggest you sell the car and put that money into the stock market where you can make some real cash if you know what you are doing.

I'll bet I could sell my car in a minute just because of the way it looks. The only thing original about my car is the shape and I have people drool over it at stop lights and car cruises. I don't worry about devaluing the car because it was nothing special to begin with. It wasn't rare, it was just a run of the mill Corvette just like 95% of all Corvettes. The one you don't mess with is the one that has something unique about it or the one that is truly unmolested inside and out and there aren't too many of those left.

Paint that car a color that moves you or sell it and buy one that does. Put your money where it will give YOU the best result in your mind. Most of these cars are not investments, they're toys to play with and enjoy.

OK, I'm done. Make yourself happy and live within your means, that's the way to play this game in my opinion.
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 01:38 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

I've gone through the painting thing a couple of times now and I have to say that I find it an unpleasant experience all the way around.

If I'm ever in the market for another Corvette (hope I'm not) I will look for a car that has a nice recent paint job already. Painting a Corvette is probably the most expensive thing to have done to it. I'd much rather buy a car with nice paint that needs some mechanical work than the other way around. YMMV
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 01:43 PM
number3
Pro

Originally Posted by KC John
I've been reading posts like this for a long time and I have to vent a little. Do you ever find yourself going into the garage and seeing your car and thinking I can't believe I own such a beautiful car? I've owned my '63 for about 9 years and I still do that quite often.

I happen to have a custom paint job on mine, but I know there are others that have stock paint that do the same thing. To me if your car doesn't impress you, what's the point?

These cars are a poor way to invest your money. If your main goal is to make money I suggest you sell the car and put that money into the stock market where you can make some real cash if you know what you are doing.

I'll bet I could sell my car in a minute just because of the way it looks. The only thing original about my car is the shape and I have people drool over it at stop lights and car cruises. I don't worry about devaluing the car because it was nothing special to begin with. It wasn't rare, it was just a run of the mill Corvette just like 95% of all Corvettes. The one you don't mess with is the one that has something unique about it or the one that is truly unmolested inside and out and there aren't too many of those left.

Paint that car a color that moves you or sell it and buy one that does. Put your money where it will give YOU the best result in your mind. Most of these cars are not investments, they're toys to play with and enjoy.

OK, I'm done. Make yourself happy and live within your means, that's the way to play this game in my opinion.
sorry to infuriate you kc , but im just throwing it out there and as i said before im not looking to make money on the car or even sell it at this point . Im just looking for opinions from the people that know . your opinion (minus the scolding) is important to me as well , because like you i feel the same way everytime i look at, get into , and drive my car. I love it ! I didnt buy it as an investment , but i dont want to weaken the future value of it either wether i sell it or my estate sells it when im gone . Plain and simple just looking for opinions thanks .

Get notified of new replies

To keep it red or go back to white

Old 07-23-2016, 01:45 PM
number3
Pro

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
Originally Posted by RJ1
Very interesting question!!
I bought it because A) numbers matching and B) because it was within my budget .
Old 07-23-2016, 02:20 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Another thing: once your car is painted, the paint job can only go one way: down hill as time goes on. Nicks, scratches, chips. I remember the first chip in my red '66 GTO with the show car paint job like it was yesterday. Looked like a bullethole in a mirror....and that was almost 35 years ago. No parking in parking lots, no high speed driving near other cars, etc. etc. Once a car has a really nice paint job, you worry more. If it's 'just a driver', you can enjoy it a lot more for what it is....a car. If I had your car, unless it really looked raggedy, I'd drive it as is. Numbers matching/wrong color is no big deal.
number3 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 02:01 AM
My addiction
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Short and sweet........white!
number3 (07-24-2016)

Quick Reply: keep it red or go back to white